Best location around London?

13»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    haha! I live very close to the Sussex. Too close really. Burp.
    Definitely worse pubs to have within staggering distance. I was discussing it only this evening.
  • K-S,

You just need to work out the best way down to the Elmers End roundabout. From there, it's nice leafy suburban roads down to West Wickham and into the countryside.

Dunno whereabouts in FH you are, but from the station something like this would be a reasonable route to avoid too much of the traffic and unpleasantness of the main road routes:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/576799456

Edit: and if you look through Bigfoot CC's road ride archives, you'll find every route has a link to where you can download the GPX.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Definitely worse pubs to have within staggering distance. I was discussing it only this evening.

Same people have one in Surbiton too - and Brentford now (at Kew Bridge). They're both good pubs too.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    Veronese68 wrote:

Same people have one in Surbiton too - and Brentford now (at Kew Bridge). They're both good pubs too.
    Yes, been to the Antelope in Surbiton and I agree that is also very good, I struggle to get my normal drinking lot to move from our local though. Must sort out a trip to the Sussex with my friends over that way, even though they don't live in Twickenham any more.
    Plenty of other good pubs in Twickenham too, although the White Swan isn't as good as it used to be.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    First step down the road to becoming another Slug & Lettuce / Pitcher & Piano :roll:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Budget will dictate a lot of this, I am sure you've looked (as I do on a daily basis) but things have moved on round surbiton/kingston it's now actually very expensive.

The dump I bought in Surbiton/Tolworth last year is now apparently worth over 300 grand. A 2 bed worth living in round surbiton is fast becoming a standard 400k. Richmond is basically double anything around Kingston/Surbiton. Teddington is nice but the station is mikes away from where many live and it's slow.

I've tried to move from Surbiton time and time again but for me up without spending a considerable amount more it's hard to be beaten in terms of parks, trains, commute by bike. We are thinking about buying a house soon and I'm thinking along the same lines as you in terms of what I want and if something half decent comes up on the river roads in Surbiton that is where I will go for all of the above.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Have seen some nice places along the roads that run away from river there but out-priced. I guess I'd have to go on a few more club runs living there eh!
  • Sod that, Move to Scotland and for the price of a 2 bed flat buy yourself a castle up here.... 8)
  • okgo wrote:
    A 2 bed worth living in round surbiton is fast becoming a standard 400k.

Or for the same price here in Scotland you get a few more rooms and a better view - although if you work from home, not all areas have fibreoptic broadband yet...

dRpJkXhl.jpg

pR0NRWul.png
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Raynes Park- it's great here! ;)

Richmond Park, Surrey Hills, great transport links for town and easy access for Kingston and Wimbledon.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • okgo
    okgo wrote:
    A 2 bed worth living in round surbiton is fast becoming a standard 400k.

Or for the same price here in Scotland you get a few more rooms and a better view - although if you work from home, not all areas have fibreoptic broadband yet...

dRpJkXhl.jpg

pR0NRWul.png

Let me know when the advertising industry ups sticks from London and you break 20 degrees in summer and I'll join you.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Sod that, Move to Scotland and for the price of a 2 bed flat buy yourself a castle up here.... 8)

I am listening.... 8)
    left the forum March 2023
  • Yes - Sod that: live in the Highlands (and work in Amsterdam)

For 400k, you could possibly buy 3 flats in Inverness and rent two of them out for £700pcm each.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • okgo
    I might start my btl empire in Inverness then!
  • okgo wrote:
    I might start my btl empire in Inverness then!

I did :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

For 400k, you could possibly buy 3 flats in Inverness and rent two of them out for £700pcm each.

What's stopping people getting a mortgage for 133,000 which surely has repayments of 700 a month or less?
    But good plan...
    left the forum March 2023

What's stopping people getting a mortgage for 133,000 which surely has repayments of 700 a month or less?
    But good plan...

I've no idea! The flat I have has a mortgage of £107k (the flat cost £125k) for which the monthly interest payment is £120 and I get £695pcm - and I could have let it 5x over last time it was free (April this year).
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Yes - Sod that: live in the Highlands (and work in Amsterdam)

But good plan...

I've no idea! The flat I have has a mortgage of £107k (the flat cost £125k) for which the monthly interest payment is £120 and I get £695pcm - and I could have let it 5x over last time it was free (April this year).

Interesting indeed, my gaff would fetch a little over twice the rent but cost 3.5-4x the amount if buying...
    Stupid London
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I know - for rental return, it's great - the capital growth isn't as good as other places though.
  • Should we stop giving away secrets now...?
  • Should we stop giving away secrets now...?

Probably

It's grim up north....
  • Dunno whereabouts in FH you are, but from the station something like this would be a reasonable route to avoid too much of the traffic and unpleasantness of the main road routes:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/576799456

Thanks for the comprehensive info, unfortunately can't view that route as it's authorized users only :(
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Whoops, I only joined to quickly map that route so didn't really know what I was doing with it. I've added you as a friend and changed my settings to public so hopefully between those two things you'll be able to see it.