Best location around London?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    I like fulham.

Nice enough area but the prices are sky high (£800k for a two bed?) and twunts who live there are unfeckingbearable.

A) offended

B) there's a reason it's expensive. :)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I like fulham.

Nice enough area but the prices are sky high (£800k for a two bed?) and twunts who live there are unfeckingbearable.

A) offended

B) there's a reason it's expensive. :)

Keeps the riffraff out of Kensington though
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    True story.

Would love a nice flat in South ken
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    iPete wrote:
    I have also considered purchasing a boat on one of the North London canals, not sure I've sold it enough to the other half mind! Would be a PITA keeping anything valuable/good bikes.

we did look into that... difficult to find one which is big enough to live in and has a mooring with electricity and water...
    A disproportional amount of cycling instructors live in/on houseboats on the North London canals.
    They all complain of the same things (size, temperature in winter, connections to services) but they all rave about the same things too (close to nature, changing scenery, querkiness).

I think if I were to live in one I'd also want/need a lock-up for 'stuff'.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • houseboats on the Thames are a lot cheaper upstream of Hampton Court Bridge as you are outside the city limits
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Must have been a bit scary during the floods last Winter; the river looked like it was doing 8-10 knots through Richmond...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • they were metres away from the bank - river had gone over the top of Hampton Court lock
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    When they were using the Thames Barrier to help control it, it was permanently low tide in Central London, and permanently high tide in Richmond. Scary stuff!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Koncordski wrote:
    I lived in teddington for 5 years and moved out about 2 years ago. I miss it, every. single. day.

And this is why i can't yet bring myself to move out. There's a danger that the kids will start speaking with funny accents and stuff. I also come out in hives if I'm exposed to fresh air for too long.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    A friend of mine bought a 2 bed flat in Crystal Palace a couple of years ago. He paid £380k for it and just over a year later had it valued by 3 different agents at about £550k. Its not even a very nice flat, still needs lots of work. There was a tiny 1 bed house inside the triangle next to where I work that went for £450k a couple of months ago. Night life is good, used to be better though.

Up until May I was living in Bromley which I'd say is a great place for a cyclist to live. My wife was cycling the commute to Victoria and enjoying it. Then we got pregnant and have had to move out in order to afford somewhere big enough for our expanding family. 3 bed houses in Bromley were starting at about £250k but for one in an OK area you're looking at over £300k (avoid Downham for example). If you're looking for a flat then you should be good for your budget. In Bromley you ride a couple of miles south and you're in the Kent lanes and have a great selection of hills. You also have Bigfoot CC which is a good club to ride with.

Beckanham would be worth a look too. But avoid Penge, is a sketchy crack pit full of meth heads.

Avoid Croydon (the whole borough). I grew up there. Your bike will be stolen and you will be stabbed up.

I'd like to live in around the Farningham, Eynsford, Shoreham area. Commutable to central London by bike (20 miles to Victoria - shorter than my current commute anyway), train line if you're feeling lazy, very pretty area, perfect riding country. Make sure you don't buy somewhere that gets flooded though.
  • Lancew wrote:

Bit of a dog-leg avoiding the A21 there. Is it that bad? Interested as I've recently moved down SE-wards and am looking at options for extending my commute suitable for dark/winter weather/road surfaces - need to find the Chertsey loop of the SE - and one option from work was down from Greenwich thru Bromley and on to the Dulwich Paragon chaingang route and trying to work out best way to do it.

His dog-leg there is to avoid going up Bromley Hill, the wimp...

I jest (hi Lance BTW, Pete here, you out tomorrow night?). It just makes more sense for him to skirt round via Shortlands on a nice flat route than slog up the hill and then through Bromley with all its lights, traffic and one-way fun.

As for what you're after, it's riding through SE London, it's never going to be that great. Assuming you want to get to Bromley and beyond for this DP route, from Greenwich I would head up through Blackheath then onto Lee Road, follow that all the way up past Lee station, then at the A205 a quick dogleg onto Baring Rd, follow that through Grove Park and on to Burnt Ash Lane, then once you get to the big roundabout at the end of Burnt Ash Lane, left onto Plaistow Lane, past Sundridge Park station. That eventually drops you down onto Widmore Rd heading towards Bickley, then you can chuck a right onto Southborough Lane, past Bickley Station, which leads down towards the A21 via a choice of routes (eg Turpington Lane which is the one I most often use). The A21 below that point is nice and wide and not bad for traffic lights. I think you'd be possibly doing the DP route in reverse at that point, you could follow it all the way down to Farnborough and beyond.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    I have also considered purchasing a boat on one of the North London canals, not sure I've sold it enough to the other half mind! Would be a PITA keeping anything valuable/good bikes.

we did look into that... difficult to find one which is big enough to live in and has a mooring with electricity and water...
    A disproportional amount of cycling instructors live in/on houseboats on the North London canals.
    They all complain of the same things (size, temperature in winter, connections to services) but they all rave about the same things too (close to nature, changing scenery, querkiness).

Should probably post in rants but....
    While cycling along the canal parts next to walthamstow marshes nature reserve, I see cats leaving canal boats to go (presumably) hunting.
    Along the canal it's fairly common to see plastic bags ripped and their contents scattered about because some of the canal boat people don't realise that nature (foxes) are opportunistic and you can't just leave your rubbish by the boat overnight.
    Occasionally dogs are left to roam outside of the boats at night & they're really hard to spot sometimes.
    Some of the people appear to think that if you don't need furniture or other household items any more, it's acceptable to just leave by the side of the canal.
    Presumably as in many things it is a small minority, but it does make much of the canal appear to be a crap heap.
    Lots of other things... but enough derailing
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    North London :D
    Try using right move draw a search
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 50518.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 71873.html

Edit, by my reckoning about an hour in http://www.strava.com/activities/13204017 . You may not want to take the a1055 though.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • EKE_38BPM
    jds_1981 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    iPete wrote:

While cycling along the canal parts next to walthamstow marshes nature reserve, I see cats leaving canal boats to go (presumably) hunting.
    Along the canal it's fairly common to see plastic bags ripped and their contents scattered about because some of the canal boat people don't realise that nature (foxes) are opportunistic and you can't just leave your rubbish by the boat overnight.
    Occasionally dogs are left to roam outside of the boats at night & they're really hard to spot sometimes.
    Some of the people appear to think that if you don't need furniture or other household items any more, it's acceptable to just leave by the side of the canal.
    Presumably as in many things it is a small minority, but it does make much of the canal appear to be a crap heap.
    I was riding along the River Lea and a dog was tied to a boat on a long lead. The dog had wandered across the path and the lead was now a hazard to cyclists so I stopped and called to the owner (who was in the boat). A bloke came out and was suitably apologetic, genuinely sorry but not grovelling, but his missus went ballistic at me for "cycling too quickly"?
    I wasn't cycling quickly at all (which is why I could see the dog lead and stop easily) and even if I was, she was in the cabin of the boat so couldn't see me.

Most boat owners are fine though (even if they do smell a bit musty).

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    iPete wrote:

I'm suprised by the number of people here who have considered a boat!

As much as I like to moan about the cold (like the boat owners), one thing I like about this commuting lark is feeling the seasons change day to day and that connection (basically everything you said they like).

But yes, a good mooring is about £600 per month and I'd need a lockup too. Cheap living if you own it outright (forgetting the fact is has an engine that will no doubt break down all the time).
  • EKE_38BPM
    I wouldn't live on a boat. I want a bit of space in my abode. I'm just under 6'2" tall and I bet I'd have to duck constantly if I stood up.

I hate shower cubicles. They were not designed by or for someone of my size. I imagine a canal boat would be like living in a shower cubicle.

• warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    My mate lives on a canal boat on the Grand Union canal in North Bucks. Horrific lifestyle - it's one down from living in a mobile home in my opinion. He's constantly having trouble with the engine and running repairs. He's got two kids under 10 as well (Django & Polly-Tiger - so you can figure what sort of person he is) and was constantly fishing them out of the water for the first 5 years of their lives.
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • WarrenG - that really made me laugh. Thank you!
  • His dog-leg there is to avoid going up Bromley Hill, the wimp...

As for what you're after, it's riding through SE London, it's never going to be that great. Assuming you want to get to Bromley and beyond for this DP route, from Greenwich I would head up through Blackheath

Thanks for the advice, just what I was after! Unfortunately the Avenue thru Greenwich Park will be shut by time I'm out of work and I don't think it's accessible outside opening hours unlike RP. Is Crooms Hill a passable alternative?
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    jds_1981 wrote:

I particularly like the big Rotweiller that lies across the entire path every morning awaiting his food. He's unphased by anything. I have considered trying to bunny hop him but worry about what he might do to me if I fail.

Living on a canal barge on the River Lea, does not seem very appealing to me. All the barges look damp, cold, and ready to sink. I rode home earlier this week with some new lights. I was amazed at how many rats were running under my wheels.

Neither does paying £750k and £10k a year for 15 years for a 2 bed barge on Cheyne Walk appeal either. Each to their own I suppose.

Back on topic - if you like a nice flowing commute - stay clear of NE London/Essex. Probably ok if its all you know but coming from a SW commute its utterly depressing in comparison.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    His dog-leg there is to avoid going up Bromley Hill, the wimp...

As for what you're after, it's riding through SE London, it's never going to be that great. Assuming you want to get to Bromley and beyond for this DP route, from Greenwich I would head up through Blackheath

Thanks for the advice, just what I was after! Unfortunately the Avenue thru Greenwich Park will be shut by time I'm out of work and I don't think it's accessible outside opening hours unlike RP. Is Crooms Hill a passable alternative?
    Yeah, Crooms is fine, then over Goffers and through Blackheath.
    It's a mate's commute from Canary Wharf - http://www.strava.com/activities/215709970
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • KnightOfTheLongTights
    KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2014
    WarrenG wrote:
    If I had my time again I'd be heading towards Hampton Court, Strawberry Hill, Twickenham Green way

Yeah it's not a bad area to live at all. Obviously as with anywhere after a while the negatives start to grate, which are I think:

a) public transport into London is not great compared to many other bits of outer London - unless you are heading somewhere near Waterloo, it can take a while. The GF hates the commute during the week and we very rarely head into town at weekends and feel that while central London is 'on our doorstep', we don't really use it that much.
    b) Traffic can be appalling - I very rarely drive anywhere, so in that sense it doesn't bother me, but it can be bloody aggravating when it takes a bus half an hour to do the two miles between Richmond and Twickenham. And it makes Twickenham town centre congested, noisy and generally not all that pleasant, specially on rugby days.
    c) A bit boring culturally, e.g. gigs and stuff.

But all that is outweighed by the positives: masses of green space and miles of beautiful riverside, great pubs, very few Asbo oiks, decent shops and restaurants, fairly clean and well-kept public spaces, a general sense of prosperity among residents and community-mindedness.

Re. riding, yes it’s very nice to have the Surrey Hills reasonably close but I preferred the riding that I used to do from Battersea out into east Surrey and Kent. Less traffic (both two and four-wheeled), more lanes, more route choices, fewer tosspots in 4x4s…
  • I'd also say that Hampton would be a step too far into suburbia for me: we are at Twickenham Green and so can still get to Richmond - and if necessary the district line - pretty easily, but I would not want to be any further west.
  • Re. riding, yes it’s very nice to have the Surrey Hills reasonably close but I preferred the riding that I used to do from Battersea out into east Surrey and Kent. Less traffic (both two and four-wheeled), more lanes, more route choices, fewer tosspots in 4x4s…

I must get out to learn more routes then. One of the things I miss about moving out of Richmond to Balham and now Forest Hill was the ease of access to Surrey hills and west of London riding (Windsor and beyond). Probably just need to learn the ropes and find some decent escape velocity/re-entry roads to minimize crappy urban riding before hitting open space.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I'd also say that Hampton would be a step too far into suburbia for me: we are at Twickenham Green and so can still get to Richmond - and if necessary the district line - pretty easily, but I would not want to be any further west.

Just to get a sense of how poor the pubs are in Epsom I consider my regular pubs to be the Sussex, Albert and the PoW. Only 25 mins on the bike
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    This was my houseboat, two stories, lots of room - bit of a faff carrying the bike down the steps at high tide, but at low tide could just wheel it off the deck.

And this was the view from my balcony, down the Thames towards Teddington lock. Dinghy was v usefull for trips to the pub.
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Re. riding, yes it’s very nice to have the Surrey Hills reasonably close but I preferred the riding that I used to do from Battersea out into east Surrey and Kent. Less traffic (both two and four-wheeled), more lanes, more route choices, fewer tosspots in 4x4s…

I must get out to learn more routes then. One of the things I miss about moving out of Richmond to Balham and now Forest Hill was the ease of access to Surrey hills and west of London riding (Windsor and beyond). Probably just need to learn the ropes and find some decent escape velocity/re-entry roads to minimize crappy urban riding before hitting open space.

Very easy. Ride out through Sydenham, Penge, Beckenham, Elmers End and West Wickham and you are in the Kent lanes. These are relatively quiet urban roads (compared to SW London), most Dulwich Paragon rides start from / head out through Elmers End roundabout. Once you get to West Wickham you can take the back roads and be cycling in fields, with horses and sheep and stuff!
  • BigMat wrote:
    Very easy. Ride out through Sydenham, Penge, Beckenham, Elmers End and West Wickham and you are in the Kent lanes. These are relatively quiet urban roads (compared to SW London), most Dulwich Paragon rides start from / head out through Elmers End roundabout. Once you get to West Wickham you can take the back roads and be cycling in fields, with horses and sheep and stuff!

Thanks for the suggestion, this is the route I have been doing and it's probably down to lack of familiarity or not getting the right roads between FH (or CW if I'm going direct to/from work) and Beckenham to join the usual DP route but it's felt far more hostile than out west.

Oh and apologies for the thread-hijack Pete, at least this is cycle-related and showing SE is a good place to be for cycling, gotta beat discussions about house boats ffs ;)
  • WarrenG wrote:
    I'd also say that Hampton would be a step too far into suburbia for me: we are at Twickenham Green and so can still get to Richmond - and if necessary the district line - pretty easily, but I would not want to be any further west.

Just to get a sense of how poor the pubs are in Epsom I consider my regular pubs to be the Sussex, Albert and the PoW. Only 25 mins on the bike

haha! I live very close to the Sussex. Too close really. Burp.
  • Re. riding, yes it’s very nice to have the Surrey Hills reasonably close but I preferred the riding that I used to do from Battersea out into east Surrey and Kent. Less traffic (both two and four-wheeled), more lanes, more route choices, fewer tosspots in 4x4s…

I think we had this debate a few months ago K-S? Yes it was a good 50 minutes or an hour from Battersea to Layhams Lane; whereas it's only 30-40 more pleasant minutes from Twickenham Green to Cobham.
    But I just remember feeling more in the countryside proper over there once you did get out, specially once you get south of Edenbridge.
    Surrey between Gatwick and Guildford / Godalming just feels more populated and built up to me than the territory between Gatwick and Tonbridge / Tunbridge Wells...
    Could be just rose-tinted specs of course ('ah the riding was better in those days etc etc').