Removing speed/distance on turbo

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited November 2014 in Training, fitness and health
Back before I had power, I could remove the Speed/Cadence magnet from the wheel, turn off the GPS and all was good.

Now I have:
Garmin 800
Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor
Cycleops Powertap Elite+

With the wheel magnet removed, something else is picking up speed/distance, likely the power meter.
Is there a way to turn it off?
Perhaps make the speed/cadence the primary speed device over the power meter?

Google isn't coming up with much. All I've found is..
When a powertap is present, the edge will read speed from the powertap but still receive cadence from the Garmin sensor

..but no solution.

Comments

• birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    Why do you want to turn off the speed? Could you just not display it? Is it a Powertap?
  • iPete
    It is a powetap.

They are not on display but I have no interest in speed or distance being added to my Garmin/Strava files.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Without unpairing the PM,no as it will broadcast whatever data it can
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • iPete
    Thanks for the info.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    iPete wrote:
    It is a powetap.

They are not on display but I have no interest in speed or distance being added to my Garmin/Strava files.

IIRC on strava you can flag your ride as private and it doesn't count towards your overall mileage.

Or you can get a Stages PM that'll do your cadence and power, but not speed & distance ... ;)
  • iPete
    :lol:

I was going to get a Stages but this was over 40% cheaper than a UK purchased 105 arm but I'll bank that as justification and see if the 4iiii or Stages v2 materialise!

Not going down the private route, finding the social aspect of training feedback really handy so far.
  • How about just not looking at the speed/distance on Strava.

Fixed!
  • iPete
    Well I've dealt with my (first world) problem by creating a different bike on Strava. It was bugging me that all My Gear was racking up miles whilst stationary.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    All the wheels and drivetrain/transmission components are still putting in the miles You might be stationary but the bike (at least the parts where miles matter) are not.
  • iPete
    It's a bit of a mix, neither tyre is clocking miles (turbo tyre for indoors) and a 'mile' on a turbo isn't really a mile.

I'd also rather these 'miles' weren't being clocked on my club leaderboards and challenges but as said, first world problem.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    But it's a turbo ride on strava which is pointless to begin with
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • slowbike
    NeXXus wrote:
    But it's a turbo ride on strava which is pointless to begin with

Pointless for you may be - but he's already said he likes the feedback (and I assume incentive) from his friends.
  • iPete
    Why not Strava?

The zone distributions, weighted power etc. are super quick and easy, no? only takes a few seconds to see what I need to.

I'm sure I'll advance onto something like Golden Cheetah but for now Strava works fine and keeps everything in one place, unless I'm missing something.

And its really handy when more experienced riders stop by and tell me where I've gone wrong etc.
  • slowbike
    iPete wrote:
    And its really handy when more experienced riders stop by and tell me where I've gone wrong etc.
    Oh - that's easy .... you went wrong when you forgot to turn left out of the shed .... ;)
  • iPete
    :lol:

In my defense, been putting out 150+ miles per week for years now but looking at Strava, its rarely in the right intensity ranges to be considered useful training.