Paul Smith Cycling Apparel

2»

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    The kind of person to buy PS cycling kit has so much money its a job to spend it. There are many cyclists out there who fit into this economic strata. Walking into a a bike shop and buying a full EPS Z1 Parlee is a twice yearly occurrence, when they are out shopping on a Saturday afternoon with the beautiful girlfriend.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Paul Smith 531 Black Weatherproof Cycling Jacket with Temperature Control - £550. :shock:

I'm guessing that a temperature control on a £550 jacket does actually control the Sun's temperature?

And yes, if I was stinkingly rich I would buy one :mrgreen:
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    + 1
    I am not sure why people moan about expensive cycling apparel. There is plenty of cheap stuff starting from Aldi, up to DHB, up to mid range etc... so I don't see why you have to frown at the "top end" of the market. You might have noticed there are folks with money out there...

As a matter of fact, you are probably wasting your money upgrading bits on your bike, but you are hardly ever wasting money buying quality clothing. My luxurious Assos jacket has kept me warm for 4 winters so far, thing that previous cheaper stuff form the likes of Aldi (or was it Lidl?) and Inverse failed to do...
  • Paul Smith 531 Black Weatherproof Cycling Jacket with Temperature Control - £550. :shock:

I'm guessing that a temperature control on a £550 jacket does actually control the Sun's temperature?

And yes, if I was stinkingly rich I would buy one :mrgreen:

Again, 550 quid... maybe half of it is fashion, but maybe the other half is better quality... to be honest I own 3 Rapha garments and the quality is not outstanding... stitching coming loose is pretty common... so if you want the fashion and the quality, clearly Rapha prices are not enough.
    On the other hand, with Assos you get the quality, but not the fashion...
    If I had that kind of money to spend, I wouldn't be worried... as long as the quality matches the price, it's all money well spent... if it doesn't, then it's a rip off
    left the forum March 2023
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    For £550 I'd expect it to be made in Europe and hand stitched, but maybe that's just me.
  • pastryboy wrote:
    For £550 I'd expect it to be made in Europe and hand stitched, but maybe that's just me.

Reasonable expectations
    left the forum March 2023
  • You wouldn't want to crash it would you?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    Looks bland, vastly overpriced and just a massive disappointment really. He's (or rather his design team have) completely dropped the ball on this one.

I agree

Me too. That was my first thought - bit dull, really. Which is a shame as I rate Paul Smith clothing quite highly.

And that's the point, he's designed some amazing collections in the past, and I buy his product usually when I want a nice shirt etc. Next season, spring / summer hopefully we will see something fresher and more easy on the eye.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Assos man scares me.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Assos man scares me.

Only in white.
    Saw a guy wearing white Assos kit from top to toe the other Autumn and it was all topped off with a white bandana. Frightening but visible.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I can't decide between the £150 tee shirt with reflectives on or the £350 gilet that looks like a life jacket.

Either way I'd not want to get them muddy.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    overpriced pretentious crap .....
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    giant man wrote:

We could say that about a lot of cycling kit not just the 'apparel'.
    M.Rushton
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    You wouldn't want to crash it would you?

that goes for almost everything i wear!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    People can call me a cheapskate but I am sticking to Assos.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Joke of the week...

£450 for an plain orange-coloured plastic rain jacket.

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/uk-en/shop/m ... acket.html
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Whats the point of calling it 'mens' if there is no female 531 stuff?

Has anyone else wondered if Assos man and Assos woman have.............
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    giant man wrote:

He can charge what he wants for it for all I care, and its probably not crap............but pretentious..........hell yeah :lol:
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I had a 531 frame and then got an aluminium Triban 3, the new aluminium frame soaks up bumps far better than that steel touring frame does. It used to be steel was the preferred choice because of it soaking up bumps, but thats not what I found with a modern (and cheap) aluminium frame. Carbon is what you really want lol, especially for long rides.

So fashion designers just copy from retro stuff to sell their stuff, marketing hint #3,748 digested.

Paul Smith is aware that a lot of people are now turning to cycling because they cannot afford to run a car anymore? In other words lower your fricken prices!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Absurd. Completely Absurd.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    It all looks very dull and uninspiring. It's probably aimed at a certain market/buyer.

Not my market though. I like colour and flare.

Incidentally, the pricing reflects Paul Smith pricing in general.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    If money was no object? Maybe, but £150 for a t-shirt? No thanks.
    I tend to apply the wear what you want, ride what you want, dismiss anyone who tries to tell you any different philosophy. It looks ridiculously expensive to me and at the very least is too expensive for my budget but I think it looks good. My personal happy medium of price v quality is Gore bikewear, I have several items of this and I am delighted with them.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    johnny25 wrote:
    It all looks very dull and uninspiring. It's probably aimed at a certain market/buyer.

Hello the seventies are calling
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    LegendLust wrote:
    johnny25 wrote:

Hello the seventies are calling

And why not, eh? I don't want to ride around looking like I'm wearing a Mark Rothko painting.
  • johnny25 wrote:
    And why not, eh? I don't want to ride around looking like I'm wearing a Mark Rothko painting.

Very clever :-)
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Philby wrote:
    Ridiculous prices, and not particularly attractive designs IMO. Also the '531' brand is pretty lame and fairly meaningless. I will stick with Shutt VR who have great designs IMO.

Meaningless? I was wondering whether he'd sought Reynolds permission.

I don't think he would need to. You can't claim to own a number.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    earth wrote:
    Philby wrote:
    Ridiculous prices, and not particularly attractive designs IMO. Also the '531' brand is pretty lame and fairly meaningless. I will stick with Shutt VR who have great designs IMO.

has anyone told Levi's that...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    awavey wrote:
    earth wrote:
    Philby wrote:

has anyone told Levi's that...

or Boeing...
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Intel stopped calling their processors x86 after the 486. There was no 586. They called it the Pentium instead because of this.