High-end price, like Assos and Rapha.

Paul Smith Cycling Apparel
2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
TrainerRoad
Strava

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    At those prices I sincerely hope he doesn't sell much and crawls back into the pretentious hole of fashion.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I like my Paul Smith stuff but sod that, blimey.
    The bloke loves his cycling though.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    My Rapha kit now looks like a bargain :D
  • The millionaire hipster market, now there's a niche. . .
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    For those prices you can buy Rapha AND some Paul Smith everyday threads to wear off the bike.

As posted a few above, I'm partial to the odd bit of Paul Smith stuff but not even a 50% off sale would tempt me.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    edited October 2014
    Paul Smith windproof Gilet £350.00 !?!?!??
    Castelli Gabba Vest £90.00 - £100.00

Somebody is having a massive giggle surely.

I've owned the odd bit of Paul Smith but never been that impressed by the quality/durability tbh ... He can keep it!!
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • That is just ridiculous. Blatently that price simply because he says 'Well, it's me".
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Looks bland, vastly overpriced and just a massive disappointment really. He's (or rather his design team have)completely dropped the ball on this one.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    Well I suppose those riding around in kit like that wont be posting any
    "what bike should I buy for under £500" threads :D
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Ridiculous prices, and not particularly attractive designs IMO. Also the '531' brand is pretty lame and fairly meaningless. I will stick with Shutt VR who have great designs IMO.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Pretty poor designs and colour schemes for PS. I like PS stuff but I think another collaboration with Rapha, on a Winter range would have been more successful. I think Vulpine have done a better job of the hipster/city/casual thing.

I'm sure it's lovely to wear and will no doubt feel quality in your hands but the orange jersey, gilet and hoodie looks like early Lusso or, dare I say it…Aldi. The jackets don't look different enough from Rapha.

Good luck to you if you have the cash to afford it. It's probs a nice little earner for David Millar.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Philby wrote:
    Ridiculous prices, and not particularly attractive designs IMO. Also the '531' brand is pretty lame and fairly meaningless. I will stick with Shutt VR who have great designs IMO.

Meaningless? I was wondering whether he'd sought Reynolds permission.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • jordan_217
    Philby wrote:

I thought it was Reynolds related too but apparently not:

"British cyclist and Paul Smith collaborator David Millar stars in our launch film, setting the pace as the leading group is whittled down from 5, to 3, to 1."
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    philbar72 wrote:
    Looks bland, vastly overpriced and just a massive disappointment really. He's (or rather his design team have)completely dropped the ball on this one.

This is exactly what I think about this and every rapha collection as well, when compared to castelli this kind of over hyped over priced, buy it because we're cool sh1t doesn't cut it,

To me it's for old men who ride titanium bikes really slowly :roll:
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Philby wrote:

I thought it was Reynolds related too but apparently not:

"British cyclist and Paul Smith collaborator David Millar stars in our launch film, setting the pace as the leading group is whittled down from 5, to 3, to 1."

Actually, I'm talking boll0cks. It is indeed Reynolds related:

"Bringing together Paul Smith's passion for cycling and the latest developments in technical fabrications, the 11 piece collection features lightweight jackets, merino jerseys and an all-black racing bike designed for city cycling.

Named after the famous Reynolds lightweight bike tubing used by Tour de France champions, Paul Smith 531 refers to the ratio of manganese (5), molybdenum (3) and carbon (1) in the steel alloy. A limited edition bicycle, built in collaboration with Mercian Cycles, a British bespoke bicycle retailer, forms the centrepiece of Paul Smith 531"
  • Frankly, dahlings, I'd not wear any range with anything less than 953 on it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Remember the phrase 'nobody got rich underestimating the public' and you won't go wrong. Not really any different to firms like Jaguar branding a £5.99 sports bag and charging £59.99. Someone will buy the PS kit and no doubt will be in Regents Park or on Box Hill displaying it. Assos at least are a cycle clothing company and were pursuing tech fabrics/tailoring etc a long time ago
    M.Rushton
  • hopak
    hopak Posts: 193
    mrushton wrote:
    Remember the phrase 'nobody got rich underestimating the public' and you won't go wrong. Not really any different to firms like Jaguar branding a £5.99 sports bag and charging £59.99. Someone will buy the PS kit and no doubt will be in Regents Park or on Box Hill displaying it. Assos at least are a cycle clothing company and were pursuing tech fabrics/tailoring etc a long time ago

Remember also Gerald Ratner's view that his stores sold "total crap".
    Make that "overpriced crap" and it just about sums up the PS range.
  • Joeblack wrote:
    This is exactly what I think about this and every rapha collection as well, when compared to castelli this kind of over hyped over priced, buy it because we're cool sh1t doesn't cut it,

To me it's for old men who ride titanium bikes really slowly :roll:

You should try frying that massive chip. It could probably feed quite a few families.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I long since realised that some brands were not meant for me and my pocket - this is just another to file in that large category!

All high end and designer stuff is overpriced, but someone will buy it, as long as there are people that can afford it.
  • I am not sure why people moan about expensive cycling apparel. There is plenty of cheap stuff starting from Aldi, up to DHB, up to mid range etc... so I don't see why you have to frown at the "top end" of the market. You might have noticed there are folks with money out there...

As a matter of fact, you are probably wasting your money upgrading bits on your bike, but you are hardly ever wasting money buying quality clothing. My luxurious Assos jacket has kept me warm for 4 winters so far, thing that previous cheaper stuff form the likes of Aldi (or was it Lidl?) and Inverse failed to do...
    left the forum March 2023
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    philbar72 wrote:

I agree
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I think he's well balanced. A chip on each shoulder
    M.Rushton
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    I have no chips, I just don't see the need to go to that extra level when looking at cycling clothes, take the new alpha Jersey and jacket (of which I have both) they are excellent quality and do the job just as well as anything else at a lower price point than this PS stuff.

Don't get me wrong I rate Payl Smith, I live in nottingham (where he started) and have many of his clothes and shoes for off the bike, I just see sports clothes as being functional and if rather the money went into the tech side of clothing like the gabba than into styling tbh.

Ps - the titanium bike comment was a bit harsh and a bit tongue in cheek, I'd love a Ti bike some day
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    LegendLust wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    Looks bland, vastly overpriced and just a massive disappointment really. He's (or rather his design team have) completely dropped the ball on this one.

I agree

Me too. That was my first thought - bit dull, really. Which is a shame as I rate Paul Smith clothing quite highly.
  • I am not sure why people moan about expensive cycling apparel. There is plenty of cheap stuff starting from Aldi, up to DHB, up to mid range etc... so I don't see why you have to frown at the "top end" of the market. You might have noticed there are folks with money out there...

As a matter of fact, you are probably wasting your money upgrading bits on your bike, but you are hardly ever wasting money buying quality clothing. My luxurious Assos jacket has kept me warm for 4 winters so far, thing that previous cheaper stuff form the likes of Aldi (or was it Lidl?) and Inverse failed to do...

+1000
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    It is quality clothing? Or is it made in the same Chinese factory as numerous brands costing a tenth of the price?
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    pastryboy wrote:
    It is quality clothing? Or is it made in the same Chinese factory as numerous brands costing a tenth of the price?
    Was given one of the water resistant jackets and a merino hoodie. It definitely has a very Rapha-esque feel to the gear and I would recommend it, it feels like really good quality stuff.

The truth is that all brands have stuff made in China, even Rapha. But I don't get why you view it as a negative thing. There's a reason for it and it's that they're a manufacturing power-house. Sure it'd be nice for the products we all buy and wear to be 'Made in Italy' or even better 'Made in the UK', but very few of them are.

It's expensive gear, but it's beautiful. If I could afford to, I'd go out and buy some other stuff out of the range. But I much prefer freebies!
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I am not sure why people moan about expensive cycling apparel. There is plenty of cheap stuff starting from Aldi, up to DHB, up to mid range etc... so I don't see why you have to frown at the "top end" of the market. You might have noticed there are folks with money out there...

I suppose it is all a matter of degree. There are constant comments on here about the cost of Rapha and Assos stuff mostly tongue in cheek. Why tongue in cheek? I would guess probably because Rapha pricing is affordable many cyclists who chose not to buy at the price mark simply because there is no need to as equally serviceable and smart kit can be bought for less.

However, in my opinion, the PS is priced at a level where few people could justify buying not because other equivalents are cheaper (including Rapha) but because it is way over priced. If I saw someone wearing PS gear my first thought would be "gullible" I dont thing that when I see someone wearing Rapha/Assos.

I struggle to see how the design and materials can justify that level of price compared to other brands.

I guess there will be gullible people out there though!!
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I am not sure why people moan about expensive cycling apparel. There is plenty of cheap stuff starting from Aldi, up to DHB, up to mid range etc... so I don't see why you have to frown at the "top end" of the market. You might have noticed there are folks with money out there...

I would be prepared to pay a good amount of money for ASSOS kit because I can see it is designed to last and a lot of attention has been put into fit onto the bike - so much so that you see ASSOS man sometimes bent over to show the fit of bib tights and tops. When you pay for ASSOS you pay for the fit, R&D, the repair scheme and the quality of manufacture. The same to some extent can be levelled towards Rapha. However, with the Paul Smith brand, it appears that you are paying for his name and a significant price premium over ASSOS and Rapha.