Building a sound system for my MTB.

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Sorry mate, but thinking a bit of "ambient chill" (do people still use phrases like 'ambient chill'?) through a pair of crap tiny speakers is going to improve a sunrise makes you sound like a dick. Granted, it's one of those things that might sound cool, but you only have to give it a moment's though to realise it's made of cheese. Vey disappointing cheese.

I'm also a designer - I deal with my calls when I get back to the office. There's a time and a place for taking calls, and there's a time and a place to ride your bike.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rmissin
    rmissin Posts: 57
    For all you forumite fucktards who can't resist posting your banal subjective misguided opinions and have overlooked my original question in your haste to gain one-upmanship and kudos from your fellow forum fucktards...

the solution is I design my own generic attachment and print it using a 3d printer...

..case closed...go ride your bikes.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    rmissin wrote:
    For all you forumite fucktards who can't resist posting your banal subjective misguided opinions and have overlooked my original question in your haste to gain one-upmanship and kudos from your fellow forum fucktards...

Boo hoo... before you leave mate, make sure you pick up all the toys you threw out the pram :D

Harmless internet banter aside, you get hoodies and jackets with speakers built into the hood, and beanies with them built in too. Might be a more discreet method of achieving what you want? My snowboard helmet has them built into the ear muffs, so loud enough for me to hear but not enough to piss everyone else off. I can still hear people talking to me as well, which is handy and doesn't make me feel claustrophobic. Unless you spend serious money, portable speakers always sound like they have had the bass surgically removed.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That is a plausible solution to a question we hoped would never be asked.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    rmissin wrote:
    Qube wrote:
    Mate, you can't split a mono signal into any sort of stereo, no matter what type of leads you plug in.

You digress, this wasn't the question...but anyway...for clarification...

g6kLiD2.png

X-Mini's take a stereo input, therefore it can be split into two mono channels, tried tested and confirmed by many users.

Yes they take a stereo input but if they have one speaker it will be a mono output. So with that splitter you'll have 2 stereo outputs from the 'player' to two devices that can only be in mono. You may be able to achieve stereo if you don't use the splitter and link them together in a chain, but I doubt it.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Why waste your breath? The bloke is as ignorant as it gets. Always makes me laugh when people post and then get all upset when they don't hear what they want (a bit like his bike at the moment, obviously), pretend they're "hard", provide ill-informed "arguments" and then flounce. So it's been a good morning for me!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I hope I see this tool out in the hills with a bit of Moby playing. I think a firm kick in the plums will certainly be justified.
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Flipping 'eck, whatever happened to "each to their own"? Personally I find the need to have music constantly blasting through your brain 24/7 a bit bizarre (and if youre a pedestrian oblivious to cycle lanes, kinda dangerous), the guy said he'd be up in the woods at silly o' clock so its not as if he'd be disturbing anyone...
    So you all think that everyone who likes to listen to music while they ride/jog/skate/ski etc (and there's a fair few of them) is a complete to$$pot?
    Reaction seems a bit OTT to me...
  • lostboysaint
    And most of those people don't feel the need to share with the world (and it's wife) but choose the transfer medium of headphones.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ^^^^^^This, it's a bit like going out for some fresh air and finding yourself walking behind a smoker.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    neilus wrote:
    Flipping 'eck, whatever happened to "each to their own"? Personally I find the need to have music constantly blasting through your brain 24/7 a bit bizarre (and if youre a pedestrian oblivious to cycle lanes, kinda dangerous), the guy said he'd be up in the woods at silly o' clock so its not as if he'd be disturbing anyone...
    So you all think that everyone who likes to listen to music while they ride/jog/skate/ski etc (and there's a fair few of them) is a complete to$$pot?

Well, it's a pretty naff idea (we'd have all had this on our Choppers in the '70s if it'd been available), but he might have got away with it if he'd have come back with good humour rather than the fcuk you salvo.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • lostboysaint
    There is that as well.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cooldad
    neilus wrote:

Only people who want to build a hifi on their handlebars.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    Needs a big bass speaker on the back rack i reckon!
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    The CrudCatcher isn't dead after all :mrgreen:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Has the OP actually flounced? He did make several posts after announcing his flouncing.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Please develop a rear view camera. :)

Imagine never needing to look behind you and having a screen on the stem showing behind. Hell it could even have a thing to boost contrast or whatever to make objects more noticeable. All the items to do it are available if you're a genius with electronics.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Has the OP actually flounced? He did make several posts after announcing his flouncing.

Yeah, looks another one can't hack the BikeRadar Baptism of Fire :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rmissin wrote:
    Qube wrote:
    Mate, you can't split a mono signal into any sort of stereo, no matter what type of leads you plug in.

You digress, this wasn't the question...but anyway...for clarification...

g6kLiD2.png

X-Mini's take a stereo input, therefore it can be split into two mono channels, tried tested and confirmed by many users.
    As a sound engineer, that is in the process of wiring up 4 studios this week, I implore you to continue. You're giving me so many needed smiles right now.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    how did I miss this yesterday...this is genius!

have you been to dragons den yet with this pitch?
  • cooldad
    OP just needs one of these

raleigh-vektar.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    neilus wrote:

I go out to the woods in the early hours to bury my latest conquest. The last thing I want while doing that is to have to listen to ambient house in mono from two speakers while I am pouring in the lime. The only plus I can see is the hole is already dug so it would be easier to dispose of the OP. And his abortion bar stereo contraption.

But seriously if someone wants to chuck their headphones in and go for a ride I have no major issues with it - I think earphones and the road are not a great idea but off road its not the worst even if I dont get it - I even suggest the guy gets some bluetooth earphones for the job - what I object to is having someone elses choice of music forced on me when I am out in the fresh air.

Same as I used to object to hearing someone elses headphones over the music I was already listening to in my own and over the noise of a train when I used to commute to London.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:
    OP just needs one of these

raleigh-vektar.jpg

I forgot about them. My mate had one of them until he threw it down some steps in a fit of rage when I stood on his transformer.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    So you were a kunt back then too.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    So you were a kunt back then too.

Lol

What is it RM? And why did he take it out on the bike if it was you?
  • rockmonkeysc
    He stole my optimus prime.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Is that slang for virginity?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Sorry its still crap - you like being alone on a hill watching the sunrise but the majesty of nature is improved by a tinny little speaker pumping out some ambient house music in between work calls and beeping your horn?

image.jpg

YEAH, I'M ON MY BIKE AND ITS SH*T
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    Chipping in with a serious (ish) answer... Surely only a child rides slow enough that they haven't passed the sound before they hear it properly? The whole idea is wank. I can't think of one good reason to strap a load of plastic to the bars of my bike, not to mention mother nature, I bet that bitch don't want to hear Moby in the early hours...
    Maaaate, I ride so fast, I can't use light as I pass it before it has chance to hit the ground, innit.

Deal-with-it_2.jpg
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro