Fulcrum or Mavic Wheels

2»

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Which country are you in? Good buy for that money. Also Passout, wide rims work no matter the pressure and the handling improvements are felt no matter the tyre width you run (so long as your tyre spreads) and the pressure you run but it obviously works best if you drop the pressures a bit but that should only be done for tyres that actually spread. Pressure run is soley dependent on tyre width which should be measured with a veriner and rider weight, with reference to the feel you want. The feel you want is properly the most imporatant bit along with avoiding pinch flats.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Which country are you in? Good buy for that money. Also Passout, wide rims work no matter the pressure and the handling improvements are felt no matter the tyre width you run (so long as your tyre spreads) and the pressure you run but it obviously works best if you drop the pressures a bit but that should only be done for tyres that actually spread. Pressure run is soley dependent on tyre width which should be measured with a veriner and rider weight, with reference to the feel you want. The feel you want is properly the most imporatant bit along with avoiding pinch flats.

Wow, talk about over thinking!
  • poacher13 wrote:

Zonda are so last year... watch out, the Elite are back! :mrgreen:

One thing I do appreciate about Mavic is they don't seem to re-brand the same shxt and flog it as if it was just landed on planet earth, like Fulcrum and others do.
    left the forum March 2023
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I use Fulcrum Racing 3s for wet weather rides. They're pretty comfy and light enough, but I really like how the freewheel isn't like a siren going off when you're drafting someone. My carbon tubs are noisier than a noisy thing on a noisy day.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • poacher13 wrote:

Zonda are so last year... watch out, the Elite are back! :mrgreen:

One thing I do appreciate about Mavic is they don't seem to re-brand the same shxt and flog it as if it was just landed on planet earth, like Fulcrum and others do.
    So did i do okay Paolo? At least i will stop pestering you for advice now!
  • Anyone got any experience of the Superstar wheels? They seem to have a good reputation in mountain biking circles.

My Aksiums are getting close to the end of their days and I was pretty much set on some Zondas as a replacement / upgrade until I saw the Superstar site recently and have been pondering some wheels from there instead. 1500g wheelsets for less than £200, but can't find much info on them online.

Mind you, that price for the Elites posted above makes them very tempting too...
  • Anyone got any experience of the Superstar wheels? They seem to have a good reputation in mountain biking circles.

My Aksiums are getting close to the end of their days and I was pretty much set on some Zondas as a replacement / upgrade until I saw the Superstar site recently and have been pondering some wheels from there instead. 1500g wheelsets for less than £200, but can't find much info on them online.

Mind you, that price for the Elites posted above makes them very tempting too...

Prompted by MTBikers' good reviews, I bought a few rolls of Superstar tubeless rim tape, which is half the price of Stans... and there is a bloody good reason why it's half the price... it is shite... :evil:

How does that relate to their wheels?: well, their business model is buying cheap stuff, branding it Superstar and selling cheap, so you most likely know what you get...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Has anyone used 4 the bike for the mavic ksyriums?

Placed an order last week, got a confirmation email but not heard anything since about dispatch. Just want to make sure it's a legitimate site?
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I bought 2 sets of wheels from them over the last year without a problem. Shipping took about 5 working days. Don't think I got a dispatch notice for either purchase.
  • poacher13
    poacher13 Posts: 70
    edited November 2014
    Same with me, i placed my order for the Ksyrium's, got confirmation and thats it. Although the status of my order changed from amber to green now. I have heard of others using the company in the past so i'm not to worried just wish they could communicate a little better.
    I just emailed them for an update so will let you know what they say.
  • Be interested to hear if they come with the Yksion Pros or the Aksion tyres. Listed on the site as coming with Aksions, but wondering if that is a mistake as I thought the Elites came with Yksions.
  • Ksyrium elites arrived today after worrying something was dodgy with ze Germans...

They come with the yksion pro tyres so it must be a website error. Not checked to see what the exchange rate was but for approx 300 pounds I am delighted with these. Feel a lot sturdier than my ultegra wheels despite being quite a bit lighter.

Does anyone have experience with these tyres? Are they worth using or should I just swap out with my gp4000s?

My rebuild is just about ready, just need some pedals/shoes and maybe a nicer garmin mount!
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    That is an amazing deal for those wheels and tyres. Elites are a benchmark wheel against what every other mid range wheel is judged. Few come close and for that money, none come close.

The yksion tyres at quite good but GP4000S are better. I'd wear out the Yksions over the winter though.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • They emailed me to tell me they were dispatched on the 30th so should be with me now. Trouble is that i live in the mountains of Co.Kerry, Ireland and deliveries have to phone everytime to meet me in the village, but, our phone has been out for a few days now. :(
    Hope i can get the tracking number off them and then contact DPD via email.
  • Good news. I managed to contact DPD and they got the wheels out to me today.
    Seriously nice things they are as well, happy as the proverbial pig. :D
  • Good to know they come with the Yksions. Never used them, but quite liked the Aksions, especially for the money. Bike Radar seem to like the Yksions:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -12-46454/

I was going to plump for Campy Zondas, but going to go for the Ksyriums at that price now. Once I've bought tyres for the Zondas they'd work out at the same price as the Ksyriums.
  • Not seen it mentioned here but Ksyriums are vulnerable to cracking on the rim where the spokes screw in. I've had it happen twice but maybe they're trying to tell me to lose some weight (I'm 98KG). Not had any issues with Fulcrum 5s but YMMV. I do love the Ksyriums but can't go for another set when I keep breaking them.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    shmooster wrote:
    Not seen it mentioned here but Ksyriums are vulnerable to cracking on the rim where the spokes screw in. I've had it happen twice but maybe they're trying to tell me to lose some weight (I'm 98KG). Not had any issues with Fulcrum 5s but YMMV. I do love the Ksyriums but can't go for another set when I keep breaking them.

Err, perhaps you need to start accepting that at your weight some 36/32 spoke wheels (handbuilt or otherwise) with some decent rims that haven't been milled down to reduce weight is the way forward.
  • Well yet another browse of this forum has ended up costing me money. After admitting that I'd have to go for the Equipes with my budget, saw this and ordered the Elites from our continental neighbours!

God Bless the EU! :)

Now for the rest of the bike...
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    shmooster wrote:
    Not seen it mentioned here but Ksyriums are vulnerable to cracking on the rim where the spokes screw in. I've had it happen twice but maybe they're trying to tell me to lose some weight (I'm 98KG). Not had any issues with Fulcrum 5s but YMMV. I do love the Ksyriums but can't go for another set when I keep breaking them.

Err, perhaps you need to start accepting that at your weight some 36/32 spoke wheels (handbuilt or otherwise) with some decent rims that haven't been milled down to reduce weight is the way forward.

Possibly, but this thread isn't about wheels for me :-)

Just letting people know that this is a common issue with the Ksyriums, try googling "ksyrium cracked rim" and you'll see it's not just heavier riders it happens to.

Edit: just to be clear, I only bought one, the second was a warranty replacement.