Fulcrum or Mavic Wheels

shamsasa
shamsasa Posts: 39
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Good Day

Seeking a new wheels. Fulcrum Racing 3 Wheels 2014 OR Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS Wheelset 2014. Have Any one tried the two of them? Still have not choose any. Help me please.

Thank you

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Buy the ones you prefer the look of, or are cheaper...or both...
  • both are good wheels. Get the ones you like the look of or can get for the best price.
  • The Fulcrums are cheaper but I like the looks of the Mavics. That is why I was torn between them. I am asking about performance.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Zondas are supposed to be pretty much the same as Fulcrum 3s, even more price difference for you to consider!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • I currently have a pair of Kysirum Elite S on one bike and Fulcrum Zero on the other, I can not feel much difference apart from if you weighed them.

If I had to pick a pair I would take the Fulcrums Zero as they seem to roll better, but that could be just in my head as they cost more ;-)

Honestly there will be nothing in it between the Fulcrum 3, Zondas or Kysirums. apart from if yoiu buy Zonda you will have some spare cash to buy something else to save a bit of weight on your bike
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Fulrum 5's have a wide rim for 2015 so no point in anything highher up than these in there range except for the fulcrum wide carbon rimmed wheel they do at £1600. I-ride tried telling me the wider rim is only for people who run 28mm tyres, my oh my some education is needed.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • So, the Fulcrum Racing 5 LG could be considerable at it's price. Because I'm a bit heavy, the Zondas make me worry about their spokes. But for now, The Fulcrum Racing 3 is a winner. Unless the 5 LG prove them selves as good cheap substitute.
  • I've had the Zondas for about six months. I weigh about 14 stone and have had no issues. They're still true.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    All excellent options TBH. Campag make Fulcrum, so quality should be similar for both (i.e. high) - the Zondas should last. I went for Hope Hoops recently (Open pro rim) and really like them - although they are a narrow rim, which apparently is no longer the fashion! If running 23-25mm tyres at fairly high psi (like me), I can't imagine it makes too much difference. If you want to run at lower psi and aid comfort then wider rims do make a lot of sense - that's my take on it anyway.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I think I will go with the Fulcrum Racing 5 LG 2015. They are 23mm wide for the comfort. And they are cheap. What do you guys think?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    shamsasa wrote:
    So, the Fulcrum Racing 5 LG could be considerable at it's price. Because I'm a bit heavy, the Zondas make me worry about their spokes. But for now, The Fulcrum Racing 3 is a winner. Unless the 5 LG prove them selves as good cheap substitute.

The Zondas and Fulcrum Racing 3s are the same wheels, bar the stickers and rear lacing pattern. :roll:
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    shamsasa wrote:
    I think I will go with the Fulcrum Racing 5 LG 2015. They are 23mm wide for the comfort. And they are cheap. What do you guys think?

Solid choice I'd say, especailly if you are after more comfort as discussed. You could also consider these, great value potentially: http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/p ... t-2024.htm
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Fulcrum racing 5 LG, is a good call as a wider rim always wins over a slightly lighter one. The ride improvements and handling improvements more than make up for a 200g or penelty which is partly in the hub anyway. Also a fulcrum 5LG wheel will have similar spoke life to the R3 wheel, same spoke count after all. The R5LG wheel might even be stiffer as well which helps spoke life.

Zonda's true for a 14 stone rider, of course they are. Campagnolo thread lock the nipples so they won't budge but you will probably fatigue the spokes a bit faster than I would.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks to all of you who helped me in this matter.

passout, you made me consider the site you posted, special thanks to you
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    shamsasa wrote:
    Thanks to all of you who helped me in this matter.

passout, you made me consider the site you posted, special thanks to you

Does this mean you've made a choice? I've just read the thread and noticed a comment about weight (yours, not the wheels). As a 98kg. 192cm tall rider I took my last wheel selection very seriously and went........handbuilt. For a similar budget to your original you could get a 23mm wide rim (Velocity A23, Archetype etc.) with Miche or Novatech hubs and Sapim Race spokes - and a good number of them. They'd be competitive on weight, stiffer, more reliable and easily serviced. Wouldn't change my handbuilts for factory wheels now.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Will I haven't pushed the bottom yet. Where can I make such a build. Point, I will shoot then. You are very convincing. Is there a site I can ask for the build?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    shamsasa wrote:
    Will I haven't pushed the bottom yet. Where can I make such a build. Point, I will shoot then. You are very convincing. Is there a site I can ask for the build?

This bloke- who incidentally posted:

http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk/

Look under wheels section and in particular at the descriptions - plenty for your budget depending on what you want. In terms of hubs if you want and forget for a while - the Miche hubs - if you don't mind routine maintenance work then the Shimano Ultegra or Dura Ace hubs.

FWIW I had a set of Mavic SLS which were excellent until one of the spokes broke. Then it was a very expensive job.
  • Unfortunately, they don't ship to my country. But, you made me very interested.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    edited October 2014
    My own Elites have proved to be fantastic with 100% reliability for 3 years. They feel like they will last at least as long again.

Fulcrum 3 are also a very nice wheel with a good reputation.

Given the choice between these two, or hand builds cobbled together with huge spoke counts, I know which I would buy. Your original choices were excellent, I would choose one and enjoy what will be a great pair of wheels.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • lostboysaint
    shamsasa wrote:
    Unfortunately, they don't ship to my country. But, you made me very interested.

No wheel builders in your country? Perhaps contact The Cycle Clinic, Ugo (on here), Spokesman Wheels in Devon - all of whom have a very good reputation (by experience!) on this forum - and see if any of them will ship.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Well, Cycling is really rare in here. However, I will look for shops that ships to my country. Thanks
  • lostboysaint
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Bar Shaker wrote:

I repeat, Campag Zondas are the same wheels , only cheaper.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    DKay wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

But the spoke pattern alone on the Zondas is enough to put most people off.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    dwanes wrote:
    DKay wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

400 reviewers disagree

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zond ... -wheelset/
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    adamfo wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    DKay wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

400 reviewers disagree

?????
    How many people haven't bought zondas
  • Well i just made the decision to spend my birthday money on the Ksyrium Elite S wts. At £315 brand spanking new cant go wrong i think. Hope that helps. :D
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    dwanes wrote:
    adamfo wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    DKay wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

400 reviewers disagree

?????
    How many people haven't bought zondas

Er.. I think you'll find the lacing pattern is the same on Fulcrum 3 just a slight change in spacing. They are made on the same production line.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing- ... lset-2014/
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    poacher13 wrote:
    Well i just made the decision to spend my birthday money on the Ksyrium Elite S wts. At £315 brand spanking new cant go wrong i think. Hope that helps. :D

The most sensible post on this thread.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Guys I just bought the fulcrum racing 5 lg. Second hand but as new. A friend used them for about 40 miles only. I think it is the ultimate deal for 200$. Thanks guys.