Garmin 1000 any good?

124»

Comments

• I am new to cycling but for the last 5 years have been walking using a Garmin etrex 30 which I connect to Garmin Base Camp to plan my walks using walking world to download routes. The route can then be sent to my etrex where I can edit them on an iMac. I have just purchased an Edge 1000 this I have also connected to Base Camp and can see no reason why I will not be able to download cycle rides, on the full screen of my iMac. Then use Connect after the rides are complete.
  • At least it will match Connect. I planned a route on the new Connect today and got a map like a letterbox to plan it on. No matter what I tried, I couldn't make use of more than half the vertical space on my huge iMac screen.
    Further to my last post you also need Garmin Express installed on your computer to update your Garmins. Strange that Garmin need Express, Connect and Base Camp all doing different things but hey ho guess they know what they are doing. However once you can master there odd way of doing things they do seem to work well, like I said in my first post Garmin Base Camp enables you in full screen to sort out a route to follow then download to a map enabled Garmin ie 800, 810 or 1000.
  • "Old" Connect had a full screen which was fine. New Connect, as you say, needs Express not only to download but to upload. I guess this is down to the wireless updating. It's not as user friendly as the old method. Old course upload, you simply got a message "Course uploaded to device". With Express you firstly have to fire it up and then you get some generic message about updating but it's not clear what update you're doing - you can only assume it's the course loading and not an activity downloading. Garmin's human factors department (at least in the sports monitors team) is either crap or non-existent.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Then just change your preference back to the old screen view like a lot of us did?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Then just change your preference back to the old screen view like a lot of us did?

I never changed - it took me to the new one automatically. The new Connect is a dog's dinner
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    philthy3 wrote:

I never changed - it took me to the new one automatically. The new Connect is a dog's dinner

You can tell it to switch 'temporarily' back to classic mode and it remembers it for next time.
  • apreading wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

You can tell it to switch 'temporarily' back to classic mode and it remembers it for next time.

Yup - I had thought the new mode would work (as it doesn't actually LOOK any different for route planning) so I fought it rather than just looking to switch back.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    A few days in and I'm fairly positive. I now get a stable BLE connection and at the weekend was getting SMS notifications (ios8 iPhone 6).

Weird how they managed to have fixed issues that some would say never existed ;)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    dodgy wrote:
    A few days in and I'm fairly positive. I now get a stable BLE connection and at the weekend was getting SMS notifications (ios8 iPhone 6).

Weird how they managed to have fixed issues that some would say never existed ;)

Weird how some would say there are problems that some of us never ever experienced. :wink:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dodgy
    philthy3 wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Weird how some would say there are problems that some of us never ever experienced. :wink:

Exactly my point. So Garmin are fixing non existent problems?
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    I'm hoping it's going to be better than my old 800 - Got one sitting next to me now and just doing the firmware/software updates for it before it's first outing :)

I'll report back in the next few weeks my finding's.

Fingers crossed :)
  • nibby
    Those that are using the 1000, what mapping are you using? I've always used CN Europe in the past and the unit has come with a preloaded Garmin Cycle map Europe.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it doesn't look like it allows a full uk postcode only part of it.

How do people find this compared to CN and is there anything apart from CN that will allow full UK postcode.

Also needs to be able to give me full turn by turn etc if/when navigating with it. I get lost very easily!!

Cheers
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Garmin Connect is awful for route planning. It will lead you down farm tracks, footpaths, anything that it thinks is rideable. Fine for MTBs but not for roadies. I now only use RidewithGPS and get great results every time.

I've never tried to use postcodes. But you can turn on 'turn by turn' navigation once you have a destination selected and it will work well.

Incidentally not one single disgruntled 1000 user wanted to sell their unit to me. Strange that. ;-)
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • dodgy
    I've not been able to get City Navigator working with mine (yes I'm aware of the locking mechanisms), but I use maps from Velomap which are sourced from OpenStreetMap in preference to the pre-loaded maps. They don't support full postcode to my knowledge.

I'd say with the latest update that the 1000 is ready for release ;)
  • nibby
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Garmin Connect is awful for route planning. It will lead you down farm tracks, footpaths, anything that it thinks is rideable. Fine for MTBs but not for roadies. I now only use RidewithGPS and get great results every time.

I've never tried to use postcodes. But you can turn on 'turn by turn' navigation once you have a destination selected and it will work well.

Incidentally not one single disgruntled 1000 user wanted to sell their unit to me. Strange that. ;-)

Cheers. I'm sure the built in mapping will be fine. I will give it a try before I start looking at CN etc. TBH the amount of times I used the navigation on the 800 was few and far between, I normally download routes and follow those.

Very early thought's are that I'm glad I've upgraded. The screen alone is worth it :) It connected to my Android phone first time last night and I got a text from the wife this morning on my way in. Now I just need to sort the Segments and test :)

looking forward to more testing.
  • Bar Shaker wrote:

No - because they've sent them back like I said. It would be strange if they could get all of their money back that they would then sell it to you (presumably at less than cost).
  • dodgy wrote:
    I'd say with the latest update that the 1000 is ready for release ;)

I'm going to give it a bit longer.

My 800 has started to do segments (albeit a bit randomly - I need to figure out if that's how it's intended to work or a side-effect of segments on the later products). It was a bit of a surprise when the segment pinged up on my 800.

The only thing I'm missing about my 1000 for now is the screen size and the fast satellite lock between countries. That suggests I'm probably not ready to blow £500 again.
  • nibby
    First ride home with the 1000 tonight.

Coming from the 800 I can say for me it's better in every way.

At the moment I'm pleased I've upgraded, just hope that lasts. Still early days but for the moment Bar Shaker I owe you a pint 8)
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313

My 800 has started to do segments (albeit a bit randomly - I need to figure out if that's how it's inten
    The only thing I'm missing about my 1000 for now is the screen size and the fast satellite lock between countries. That suggests I'm probably not ready to blow £500 again.

£380 on Handtec, or in store at Cycle Surgery who will price match.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bar Shaker wrote:

My 800 has started to do segments (albeit a bit randomly - I need to figure out if that's how it's inten

£380 on Handtec, or in store at Cycle Surgery who will price match.

Worth waiting until it's cheaper still (and Garmin have fixed more non-existent bugs :wink: )
  • nibby
    Yes but is it the bugs or is it the User??

as he lights the touch paper and moves slowly away from the flame ;):)
  • nibby wrote:
    Yes but is it the bugs or is it the User??

as he lights the touch paper and moves slowly away from the flame ;):)

Ha - given that it's Garnin, who knows! :wink:
  • nibby
    ha ha, good one. You were supposed to bite though. :cry: :P
  • nibby wrote:
    ha ha, good one. You were supposed to bite though. :cry: :P

I don't have the energy :wink: