Bird zero - Updated 8th April

russyh
russyh Posts: 1,375
edited April 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Well guys, I finally bit the bullet and placed my order. After weeks of messing around looking at loads of different options! Should be with me next week, so will post pictures and spec once I have it. I am hoping this is going to be that elusive do it all bike....we will see!

Comments

• Good man. What did you end up spec wise?
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • russyh
    A zero 2, with revs, reverb, t-rex and raceface atlas stem and bars. Really wanted the pike upfront, just couldn't afford it thanks to the new kitchen I have just had to pay for. Maybe an upgrade for the future. Oh and in Acid yellow....can't wait!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Russyh wrote:
    Really wanted the pike upfront, just couldn't afford it thanks to the new kitchen I have just had to pay for.

Well, you're going to need somewhere to photograph the bike, so it's for the best.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • russyh
    She wont allow a bike in there any more. Luckily I am currently giving the man cave a big overhaul! So at least my bikes will have somewhere warm to rest! But I seem to remember another thread for man caves!

New bike should be with me next Thursday! So will take some photos when its squeezed through the letter box. As this thread is useless without pics!
  • russyh
    Sorry for the delay in posting pics guys, been really busy. So busy in fact I have not ridden my new toy in anger yet!!! Anyway she is all built up and sat in a warm workshop awaiting a kicking around the FOD at somepoint.

Pics:
    p4pb11603736.jpg
    p4pb11603737.jpg
    p4pb11603738.jpg
    p4pb11603740.jpg
    p4pb11603742.jpg

Sorry abou the photos, the yellow is very bright and my camera phone oupled with dodgy light seem to make things look a bit like a 1980's pop video!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My eyes, MY EYES.......

That looks really tasty, now the important bit, so get out, ride it and feedback!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • russyh
    I know, i know its birght. But in the flesh it looks super sweet. Will report back post ride ASAP, maybe another week or two. Cant wait to ride a dirty Bird....Its been to long :lol:
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Looks amazing mate! Always a treat to see a nice looking Bird.

Not sure I could wait that long for the maiden voyage though, I'd be thinking up excuses for work/home to get out ASAP :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • russyh
    Cheers Pal, I know its really bad. My back has been causing me so much grief riding lately that i have done very little, plus i have been out of the country with work. Things should be a little less hectic soon and i plan to ride the crap out of it. No doubt this wont happen, why does life have to get in the way of fun!!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Looks like its nuclear, glowing like that.

Do like the look of the Bird bikes.
  • That looks tasty!
    Was thinking of a full susser for my next bike - but could be tempted for another HT.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    Was thinking of a full susser for my next bike

They do those too (or will soon anyway). Just sayin' :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • apreading wrote:
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    Was thinking of a full susser for my next bike

They do those too (or will soon anyway). Just sayin' :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Full susser is nice but out of my price range.
  • Looking good! Seeing your Pike on there really makes me want to ditch my Fox on mine.

Full Susser looks really good in the flesh.
  • russyh
    Its a set of Revs mate. I couldnt afford a Pike upgrade at the moment. Will see how it goes as i loved my pikes on previous bikes. Tryign to get wife to allow me out early Sunday for its first blast.

Just spoken with Ben this morning, looks like they are sorting out some super bling direct mount mech covers. As this is the only thing that ruins the looks for me currently.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    This is deserving of a place in the aggresive hardtail thread!

EDIT I see youre already in there. Maybe go again with new wheels or fork. I think I might have to upgrade to this. Had my frame for nearly two years, got my moneys worth.
  • russyh
    Not posted it in the aggressive hardtail thread yet. Taking it out this Sunday so will get some muddy photos taken insted
  • russyh
    Right guys, got out on the Bird for the first time today. In fact first time on a hardtail for years. I loved it, it climbs really well and is very sure footed downhill. Only thing i think i am going to change in the short term is the bars. 780mm is too wide for me, going back to my 750mm just a personal thing i guess. Also remembered how much i struggled with Charge saddles. So need an SDG fitted before i go out again. Also chain stay protector is a must, i went to buy one fromt he shop at FOD today before i rode but they had sold out.

So muddy pics:
    p4pb11619399.jpg
    p4pb11619549.jpg
  • Bird do chain stay protectors and free next day delivery.
  • russyh
    Have you got a link? Nothing on web site?
  • Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    not out of stock.. someone forgot to put them in the system! Will be on tomorrow morning. Doh.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • russyh
    Thanks Ben, nudge me the wink when loaded and I will order one straight away
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Russyh wrote:

Nudging and winking
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Russyh wrote:

Nudging and winking
    Are o
    Your bikes available via cycle2work schemes?
  • russyh
    Just ordered some upgrades for the zero.
    1) zee brakeset thanks to birds special offer £140 delivered was too god to miss
    2) zee medium cage mech (will be ordering a rad-R cage to modify)
    3) 165mm XT cranks paid £86 new from crc.
    4) new crank bros saddle to replace the spoon. I just can't get on with charge saddles sadly!

Of and a new full face as the offer was too good to miss. Will post pics as parts arrive
  • How you getting on with the Zero?
    Really tempted to get one later in the year.
  • russyh
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    How you getting on with the Zero?
    Really tempted to get one later in the year.

I am starting to really love it now. It climbs really, really well. I wish i had of gone for a slightly larger frame as i have a long upper body. But its still no problem on all day rides. I really struggled to get the rev's set up for me. Just about there now, they feel really good. Had to drop a load of pressure from them and run with a couple more clicks of compression. Also sped up the rebound a click or two and they now feel just about dialled. I have upgraded mine a little now by fitting XT cranks, zee brakes, binned off the horrible charge saddle. I have 780 Raceface atlas bars which are just too wide for me, so will probably swap out for something slightly narrower soon. The finish on the frame is awesome better than bikes i have owned that are 3 times the price. The wheelset is good but the front is out of true again, i may make the switch to Carbon rims in the summer. Its a really light, super strong bike. Great value for money. I have not once got it near its limits, so happy with it really.
  • Very capable bike. I have to remind myself it's a Hardtail at times the way it goes downhill.