Dynamic hip screw removal - how long until back to riding?

bikeg
bikeg Posts: 4
I am 22 years old and had a dynamic hip screw fitted 2 and a half years ago following a stress fracture to my left hip that progressed to an intertrochanteric femoral neck fracture.
I am scheduled to have the hardware removed in about a month's time however I am really worried about having it done considering how long it took me to recover following the initial fitting of the dynamic hip screw; it took me 4 months to walk without crutches again.
I wanted to know whether anybody else has had a dynamic hip screw removed and if so how long it took them to recover. I am a very keen cyclist, racing road and cyclocross and I want to get back to doing this as soon as possible. I usually ride every day covering distances on my road bike from 30-100 miles and at least one cyclocross race a day. I race more road during the Spring/Summer.
I have been advised that I will need to walk, partial weight-bearing with 2 crutches for 2-3 weeks and then, fully weight-bearing with 1 crutch or a stick for a further 3 weeks. I have been given no advise however as to how long it will take before I can get back on the bike again. If it will be anything over 6 weeks I'm not sure I would want to have the surgery just now. I also wondered how soon it will be before I am allowed to go swimming? I am a very active person and the only reason I want the hardware removed is because it may allow me to run again (I currently get too much pain due to the hip screw). Does anyone have any advice or experience about recovery time?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I can't answer your question directly, but at 22 you have a lot of years ahead of you - so regardless of recovery time, I would just bite the bullet and get it done.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    bikeg wrote:
    at least one cyclocross race a day.
    That's some going!
    Having similar thoughts with getting some tibial pin screws removed. Don't fancy getting the pin out and going through another load of recovery and downtime, but they might not take only the screws out.
  • bikeg
    at least one cyclocross race a day.
    Definitely meant per week!
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    These are all questions to ask the Docs who are treating you, and NOT random anonymous folk on the net!

The screws aid healing by keeping everything aligned, but also provide an amount of structural support. Removing the screws should leave everything in the right place, but there will be a degree of healing and remodelling of the bone which has to take place before your bone is as strong as it was.

Ask the right questions of the right people...
  • bikeg
    crikey wrote:
    These are all questions to ask the Docs who are treating you, and NOT random anonymous folk on the net!
    These are all things that I've asked my surgeon and he's given me some rough guidance but obviously everybody is different and situations are different so I just wanted to know whether anybody else had any personal experiences they'd be willing to share just so I can get as much information as possible before I decide what to do!
  • Sir any update on the removal of your screw? Was it worth it? Thanks
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I've not yet got round to having my tib pin or screws out. I don't fancy the downtime and for the past couple of years I figure If be well down the list for elective surgery.