Broken Femur

FatTed
FatTed Posts: 1,205
I broke my leg some time ago, getting back on the bike my Quarq power meter tells me my left/right leg is now 45/55 it used to be 49/51. How can I get back to what I was. will it just happen or not. Alex I'm sure has some useful info.

Comments

• herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    Broke my left femur in May 2013. L/R balance was around 40/60 in Jan '14 (when I first had the capability of measuring it) and it's now around 48/52 (on average of course). Other than normal training to race, I did no specific training to address the imbalance and it seems to have levelled out.
  • FatTed
    Thanks, am doing those exercises, and when i go for a ride I will look at the L/R balance and see if I can more closely match them. I stopped looking at it when I found out I was consistently 49/51.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I broke the neck of my right femur 24 years ago and recently spoke with a sports therapist about it. He found that my glutes in the leg/hip above the break weren't activating properly as a result of the trauma of the break and 3 subsequent operations. I did lots of swimming and walking afterwards. Got back into riding regularly & racing TTs a number of years ago but not noticed anything.

He got me to stand on one leg then squat and straighten. With my right leg the knee moved/wobbled inwards when trying to push myself back up. The left was fine. Since then I've noticed that when pedalling hard sometimes my right knee virtually brushes the top tube. The left knee doesn't.

Top MTB racer Oli Beckinsale had exactly the same break (and the same type of pin inserted) in 2011. The fitness team he worked with made some videos that might be of interest, part 5 in particular - http://mylifept.com/blog/
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • FatTed
    Thanks Simon, One legged squats are not quite there yet