New To Training With Power - First 20 Minute Test

spredy
spredy Posts: 48
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a power meter and did my first 20 minute power test, managing to produce an average of 306 watts for the allotted time, weighing in at 70kg that puts my effort at 4.3 watts per kg. While I appreciate that racing others is the best way to determine how good you are (I got into cycling at the start of the season and didn't feel ready to race, so haven't yet) I'm curious as to whether this test indicates a decent level of fitness for someone who has been riding regularly and with some intensity for 5 months? With some serious or 'proper' training (as opposed to just going for a ride) could I hope to improve on this a lot? I guess as with everything there are so many variables, but the expertise from anyone who's been round the block a few times would be brilliant! :D I've had a look around, but can't see what is considered good for a newcomer to the sport, and would just like to know where I stand. Thanks for any help!

Ed.

**Also, I'm 21, if that comes into it.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    There was a chart posted a little while ago that indicated what power:weight you needed to perform at each Cat level IIRC

ETA - http://cozybeehive.blogspot.nl/2008/02/ ... ratio.html
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Yes it's alright and yes you can improve it most likely, from my first 20 min test with a powermeter (I'd already won races at 4 and 3 cat by then) which was around 355w a couple of years later I can do that for over an hour probably even circa 90 mins on a good day.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    You should be competitive in 3,4 road races although road racing is as much about what you do with your power rather than simply whether or not you've got it.

Whether or not you can improve a lot is impossible to say. It depends on exactly what you've done up to this point but also on the extent to which you respond to training. Some people make enormous changes to their fitness through training. Other people make very little - even if they train just as hard.

Ruth