Cycling "cured" knee injury

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
Not sure if anyone knows about knee injuries and whether cycling is good for rehabilitation but I'll put a few questions out there anyway.

I have had a knee problem since May this year which culminated in pain most of the time (lower level with spikes). Plus I struggle to get up off the floor and down to the floor and the knee clicks as I kneel.

I've seen the doctor and had a slip for an xray and a printout from the local physio dept on exercises for the knee. i took a week off from cycling but it got worse. Then I cycled once into work and it practically cured itself. I've had very little issues since so I haven't been to get it xrayed.

Should I go and get the xray in case it was something serious. It is still not right but no pain or affect on what i can do.

Also, is cycling a good activity for helping the knee to heal?

I only do 14 miles round trip on my commute and the odd 1 or 2 slow speed rides with the family right now (toddler on the back in a seat so I'm never riding fast for some time at least). The hills on the commute are nothing. I might hit something steeper on the family rides but they are never that hard, just drop down the gears (got a 9 speed with a triple on my hybrid that gets the most use these days) so never a struggle. I do mash a higher gear at times but that is what I have always done. Got strong leg muscles (used to easily lift the full stack on the leg press at the gym) so that is not an issue.

Any feedback or views would be appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Only a medical professional with relevant examination and investigation such as X-rays , ultrasound etc. can advise on the extent of the injury and the next steps.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I am not that medical professional, but in my opinion/experience cycling can be good for preventing knee injury as it strengthens alot of the relevant parts and does so without impact that you get from running etc. However it does put some strain through alot of the relevant parts, so if they are already damaged I would expect it to make them worse more likely than better. Also, if doing it wrong (bad setup/technique etc) it can cause injury.

My advice would be to get that Xray and get it looked at if you have had an injury and this was proposed by professionals, and to not mash the gears until you have either done this or until you have ridden lightly far enough to be sure it is resolved. Of course, I might not take my own advice but I still think it is the 'correct' advice.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Plus one
  • Good advice. I should get the xray to be sure there's nothing wrong. It just feels that since it's not hurting it's a waste of nhs money. I got the referral slip where you just turn up at one of 5 hospitals hand in the slip and wait for your xray. Within 2 weeks you get a call from gp telling you what the xray shows, if you're ok or got a problem. I got the slip but have been unable to get in for 4 weeks plus.
    The one thing that surprised me was it built up to being very uncomfortable with the worst being when I kept off the bike for a week. Then it got a lot better over a single 7 mile ride into work. Half an hour of exercise kind of loosened it up taking the pain away.