Hed ardenne plus v campagnolo shamal

2»

Comments

• llen wrote:
    Am I right in assuming the following order of 'importance' when choosing where to spend your cash on a custom wheel build (taking aesthetics out of the equation):
    Hubs
    Rims
    Spokes
    Nipples

Thanks again all

Spot on... Ideally:

Hubs 50%
    RIms 25%
    Spokes and build make the remaining 25%
    left the forum March 2023
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Most important question about the HED rims - is the branding easily removable?
  • Mechanism wrote:

To be honest... you are paying over the odds to have that branding... if you then remove it, maybe you should be looking at cheaper rims.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Mechanism wrote:

To be honest... you are paying over the odds to have that branding... if you then remove it, maybe you should be looking at cheaper rims.

I would pay over the odds for removable branding.
  • Mechanism wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

I would pay over the odds for removable branding.

Get a pair of Kinlin 279... no branding, 35 quid each and nearly as good as the Ardennes... although not tubeless ready
  • llen
    llen Posts: 65
    Ok I get what you are saying. I do like the look of the hed but I'd rather go for function over form. Prior to these comments I had found a little bit more budget to cover the cost of royce hubs and so it was gonna be a hed / royce build.

So if the main purpose is to improve ride quality/comfort from my current fulcrum racing 5, would the extra 2mm width of the ardenne/rim add that much more than say the pacenti 23mm wide tubeless? There is about 70quid difference.

Ding dong head gone!!!!!!
  • llen wrote:
    Ok I get what you are saying. I do like the look of the hed but I'd rather go for function over form. Prior to these comments I had found a little bit more budget to cover the cost of royce hubs and so it was gonna be a hed / royce build.

So if the main purpose is to improve ride quality/comfort from my current fulcrum racing 5, would the extra 2mm width of the ardenne/rim add that much more than say the pacenti 23mm wide tubeless? There is about 70quid difference.

Ding dong head gone!!!!!!

You buy the HED plus to go tubeless, same as the Pacenti, otherwise don't bother... plenty of cheaper 23 mm rims which give you comfort as well as great handling... Archetype, Kinlin 279 for instance
  • llen
    Absolutely Ugo. Those are the only 2 options I'm considering now. And absolutely tubeless is where I'm going. I guess the nub of my query is will I notice the extra mm width of the hed over the pacenti. If so, I'll go hed tubeless, if not I'll go pacenti tubeless.

It may be an impossible question to answer without riding them but my assumption is if there is a noticeable difference in ride quality between the hed ardenne and hed ardenne plus which is 2mm then that would be the same as the pacenti???
  • llen
    Argh I just noticed my error hed ardenne are not tubeless!!!!
  • I had a set of HED Belgium's (C2 rims) built on CX Ray and DA 7900 hubs. I bloody loved those wheels. Got Malcolm (Cycleclinic) to build me a set of Kinlin XC279's on Novatec hubs and Sapim Laser's as I'd gone to 11 speed. The wheels are really well built and not needed truing in the year or so I've had them.

If I was gonna get another set built and I had £600-£700 to burn ( I don't as I've got three young hungry mouths to feed!), I'd defy go DA9000 and KInlin XC279 / Pancetti / HED whatever came in budget.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The belgain + is tubeless compatible to best of my knowledge. The old HED belgin 23mm wide rim is more like the archetype than the pacenti. the Pacenti SL23 is 18.5mm wide internally and tyres come up a little wider (not much though) on these than they do on the archetype.

Most rims now can be run with tubeless tyres even if they are not meant to be tubeless comaptible think the archetype rim it can be run tubeless but it not meant for these tyres.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • llen
    Ok decision made - I'm going with hed belgium plus, royce hubs and Sapim laser spokes. Now for the aesthetics which is really difficult when I can't physically see all the parts. Do go:

Black spokes with black nipples on silver hubs
    Silver spokes with silver nipples on silver hubs
    Silver spokes with black nipples on silver hubs

Do royce even do black hubs? If so I go:

Black spokes with black nipples on black hubs
    Black spokes with silver nipples on black hubs
    Silver spokes with silver nipples on black hubs

Or something else? Help!!!!
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    It's obviously personal choice but the all black look is commonplace. Silver Royce hubs, silver spokes and silver nipples would look classy and distinctive. It's the look I went for when I had some wheels from The Cycle Clinic - silver White Industries hubs, silver spokes and nipples and grey Archetype rims. I get many comments on how attractive the wheels look.
  • llen wrote:
    Ok decision made - I'm going with hed belgium plus, royce hubs and Sapim laser spokes. Now for the aesthetics which is really difficult when I can't physically see all the parts. Do go:

Black spokes with black nipples on silver hubs
    Silver spokes with silver nipples on silver hubs
    Silver spokes with black nipples on silver hubs

Do royce even do black hubs? If so I go:

Black spokes with black nipples on black hubs
    Black spokes with silver nipples on black hubs
    Silver spokes with silver nipples on black hubs

Or something else? Help!!!!

If you go for Royce, go for the real Royce, not the flimsy light front one that saves 20 grams... had endless issues with that one, from a cracked flange to bearings that don't last... suck it up and get the nicer heavier fit and forget one. Obviously they are silver and of course they mate with silver spokes, don't be silly
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    The decals on the HED's come off easily. I have C-Xray spokes and echo Ugo's sentiments. Shed load of money for no purpose. I would have bought Royce but got no reply from them when I tried e mailing them/him.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The front light weight royce hub should not be laced radially. 2x or 3x that should avoid hub flange failure. As for bearing wear not heard any negative feedback yet but you are right in sense you ignore the weight and go with the flange diameter you like the most.

Also silver spokes only with royce. I have currently HED belgain C2 tubulars with silver sapim spokes (CX-rays because I like the way they look) and Campagnolo (silver) record hubs. Looks similar to the royce hubs in finish and the wheels look lovely.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.