When to Gabba ?

124»

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Yeah they do. I will dig out the quote
    ...(please note the Gabba concept isnt totally waterproof and on long wet days at a moderate pace we would always recommend the use of a shell jacket) - See more at: http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/castelli-gabba-2-convertibile-jacket?var=8847#sthash.lE33UlcM.dpuf
    recommend a shell jacket instead of - not on top of :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yeah but as you well know by now staying dry isn't the important thing, staying warm all day is the key.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yeah but as you well know by now staying dry isn't the important thing, staying warm all day is the key.

Absolutely right - windproof is far more important than waterproof.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    don't know about Gabba but had my Cafe du Cycliste Josette short sleeve jersey on today and it is brilliant.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Had my newly bought pro team jacket on today...did pretty much everything my now sold gabba and nanoflex combo did except more breathable for when it's not raining. My bare arms felt slightly chily in the wind when soaked through...same as the Nanoflex used to so I think I'd wear a pair of arm warmers underneath it next time in heavy rain (or go long sleeve underneath of course)
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    edited October 2015
    I'm so-so on the Gabba - probably because it has been over-hyped on here. It does a reasonable job in inclement conditions, it's pretty light but not especially breathable (the only jersey I need my phone in a bag to protect it from my sweat in the dry). I'm happy enough with it but it's not amazing.
    Mine was perfectly breathable.
    Until I re-proofed it. I think the proofing has clogged the pores. Tricky balancing act between letting all the sweat out and keeping the worst of the rain out. Especially over time and washes. I seriously doubt there is a perfect jacket that will last more than (random figure) 10 washes.

You'll need to periodically wash the Gabba in a soap-based product (such as Nikwax Techwash) to get the residues of other detergents out of the fibres. These residues tend to make the garment 'wet out', which also affects it's breatheability. If after a gentle tumble dry, the material still isn't beading water, then you'll need to reproof as well.

I last wore my S/S Gabba with NoRain arm warmers and a Helly Hansen base layer back in April, on a rainy 70 mile ride in the Yorkshire Dales (16 - 17mph average) and temps around 10 degrees. The Gabba coped very well and kept me warm and dry in difficult conditions, including some long climbs, fast decents and flat sections or varying speeds. The rain and drizzle was fairly constant and while some water did get in, it was limited only to the front where the zip is, which I think is now remedied with newer versions of the Gabba). My bibs and softshell gloves were absolutely soaked through in comparison. The rain eased off for the last 20 miles or so and the Gabba dried out quickly and stayed windproof through the whole ride. One thing to keep in mind with the Gabba, is that you need to be working at a decent rate to stay warm. Stay still for any length of time and you quickly get cold.

I've recently ordered a Gore Oxygen jacket for the bargain price of £73 from Rose Bikes, which is meant to be race-fitted, totally waterproof, but slighly less breatheable than the Gabba. It will be interesting comparing the two when I get the chance.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    ^^^^^^^
    Thanks, but I already do this. It is 3 years (winters) old though.
    FWIW the Gabba was bought to replace the boil in the bag Gore Oxygen.
    I cannot recommend the Gore for anything requiring effort.
    It is waterproof though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Is it bad that I am thinking of purchasing a hard shell? My relatives are passing by Bristol and want to visit the rapha outlet store. The price is £120.

Very tempting...
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • pblakeney
    Is it bad that I am thinking of purchasing a hard shell? My relatives are passing by Bristol and want to visit the rapha outlet store. The price is £120.

Very tempting...
    That's cheap as it is normally 2450.
    What is it with their site and currency? Wierd.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    ^^^^^^^
    Thanks, but I already do this. It is 3 years (winters) old though.
    FWIW the Gabba was bought to replace the boil in the bag Gore Oxygen.
    I cannot recommend the Gore for anything requiring effort.
    It is waterproof though.

Well, I received my Gore Oxygen jacket today (and got a free buff too - thaks Rose Bikes!) and just going purely off subjective look and feel, the jacket has all of the breatheability of clingfilm. The proof will be in the riding tomorrow.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Well I just learnt the hardway that the Rapha hardshell isnt warm when you're not moving fast and is boil in the bag once you do.

Best get the merino layers out for the rest of the week.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pblakeney
    Well I just learnt the hardway that the Rapha hardshell isnt warm when you're not moving fast and is boil in the bag once you do.

Best get the merino layers out for the rest of the week.
    It is these experiences that led to people getting a Gabba in the first place.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mlgt
    Still sticking with the gabba. Although I have purchased a hardshell for the more colder and rainy days.

Looking forward to trying it out and comparing both.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Wore my short sleeve Gabba for the first time since last winter on Friday - perfect for the morning but still too hot in the evening (not unbearably so though). Not having the sleeves helps with cooling a little bit. On a mild day will be sticking with the Fawesome though.
  • mlgt
    I think I have gotten soft. I have continued to wear my hardshell most days to work. The gabba hasn't been worn since the last time I posted on this thread!

Partially because the hardshell is orange in colour and I feel more visable. However with the daylight nowadays rising earlier and weather slowly starting to warm up I will reprieve the gabba once again :)

My findings on the hardshell vs gabba. The hardshell is more waterproof and warm. If I get hot. I simply open up the small vent at the back and unzip the front for more ventilation. It was a good purchase and the winter months this was easily paired with a long sleeve merino wool baselayer.
    For the warmer weather currently I am simply wearing a mesh summer layer and the HS. Its a good combo.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    To Gabba or not to Gabba...
    Should I Alpha jacket or Gabba 2 or sunday?
    100 Km in the Chilterns, 1700 mt of climbing... range of temperatures between 1-6 degrees forecasted

The Alpha will be hot in the second part, but it can be open completely, the Gabba might be a bit cold early on... mmmmhhh
    left the forum March 2023
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I think I'm a bit older than you (51) and tend to run cold so I find that on say a day like last Sunday which was bitterly cold I wore a s/s thermal base layer (just a simple sports direct six quid jobbie), s/s Gabba 2 with the nanoflex armwarmers and then a wiggle branded soft shell jacket over the top that someone got me for Christmas.

Kept me warm enough.

Gabba 2 and base layer alone not warm enough for me on a day like that.
    FCN = 4
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Alpha jersey if you have one?
  • ugo.santalucia
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I think I'm a bit older than you (51) and tend to run cold so I find that on say a day like last Sunday which was bitterly cold I wore a s/s thermal base layer (just a simple sports direct six quid jobbie), s/s Gabba 2 with the nanoflex armwarmers and then a wiggle branded soft shell jacket over the top that someone got me for Christmas.

Kept me warm enough.

Gabba 2 and base layer alone not warm enough for me on a day like that.

I was out with the Gabba over a merino and was fine for a couple of hours, but then I got cold... but that was mainly hands and feet, the core was kind of OK, although borderline comfortable...
    The problem is often what the sun decides to do... 3 degrees and sunny is warmer than 5 degrees and cloudy
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I have been Gabba with a baselayer for the last few weeks or so. bit nippy when you set out but after 15-20 mins I have the vents and neck open.

Last night - cold, rainy, windy; perfect gabba weather. Got home with a huge grin on my face for some odd reason
  • ugo.santalucia
    imatfaal wrote:
    I have been Gabba with a baselayer for the last few weeks or so. bit nippy when you set out but after 15-20 mins I have the vents and neck open.

Last night - cold, rainy, windy; perfect gabba weather. Got home with a huge grin on my face for some odd reason

I agree... the thing is after 2-3 hours I get cold... this will be a 4 hours + ride, so I might be tempted by the Alpha, unless it turns out to be a mega sunny day
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    imatfaal wrote:

I agree... the thing is after 2-3 hours I get cold... this will be a 4 hours + ride, so I might be tempted by the Alpha, unless it turns out to be a mega sunny day

I find that if I am not being silly and going too hard that 10 mins with a rain jacket over the top warms me up again - but I agree that chill you can get when tired and a long way from home sometimes needs proper warmth to conquer. It is also the only time I really need to use gels or quick energy stuff - for me that sudden shiveriness is as much about energy levels as it is about temperature.

Would be interested to know how MRSpider is finding the spanking new Gore Kit. I am still jealous but just cannot think of an excuse even to myself for the outlay