When to Gabba ?

Comments

• mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    This morning I ditched it for a LS wind jacket.
    I have a bought a LS merino baselayer. I wonder how easy it is to pair with some armwarmers? I guess it will fit somehow with some wriggling (lol) The SS nike baselayer is not going to keep me warm in this type of temp. :(

Given the first 15 mins of the journey is cold whilst I warm up. When I arrive to work I am just right. Thoughts on pairing up combo etc? I would rather be a little sweaty than waiting to warm up in the shower :)

Ive also ditched bib shorts for tights now. Im wimping out :D
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think this morning would have been cold enough for me to wear Gabba but I took a punt and still went with base layer and fawesome. Was perfectly fine but reaching the edge of its operating zone. Looks like Gabba will be seeing alot more action soon!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    apreading wrote:
    I think this morning would have been cold enough for me to wear Gabba but I took a punt and still went with base layer and fawesome. Was perfectly fine but reaching the edge of its operating zone. Looks like Gabba will be seeing alot more action soon!
    Base layer and LS gabba this morning. Perfect for the first 15mins, bit toasty once I'd warmed up. Unzipped half way and fine for the rest.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    13 degrees on Saturday. Wet roads, a bit of drizzle. Gabba and baselayer was the perfect combo.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    dhope wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    Base layer and LS gabba this morning. Perfect for the first 15mins, bit toasty once I'd warmed up. Unzipped half way and fine for the rest.

What temp was that at then? It was 2 degrees here this morning, I went with softshell jacket and long sleeve base layer. I wish I'd worn a buff, my face nearly froze off for the first 10 mins!
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    IC. wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    apreading wrote:

What temp was that at then? It was 2 degrees here this morning, I went with softshell jacket and long sleeve base layer. I wish I'd worn a buff, my face nearly froze off for the first 10 mins!

0 degrees for me this morning - I do run hot though...
  • dhope
    apreading wrote:
    IC. wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Probably about the same, pretty brisk, could feel the chill through my gloves. I tend to run quite warm too though.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I thought the Gabba was wet-weather wear - did London see rain this morning?

I had pretty much constant 2 degrees for 2 hours here this morning. Mavic Eschape over a summer-weight s/s base was perfect. Sleeve vents were opened and closed a couple of times to perfectly regulate temp. Specialized SubZero gloves were too hot though!
  • dhope
    vermin wrote:

I had pretty much constant 2 degrees for 2 hours here this morning. Mavic Eschape over a summer-weight s/s base was perfect. Sleeve vents were opened and closed a couple of times to perfectly regulate temp. Specialized SubZero gloves were too hot though!
    I've just been using it when I'm not sure if it'll be cold/wet or both, then zip/unzip vents as required.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    dhope wrote:
    vermin wrote:

I've just been using it when I'm not sure if it'll be cold/wet or both, then zip/unzip vents as required.
    Cold & wet, or simply cold is the conditions that I find it perfect for.
    Cold is relative, so if it is cold for you, then that is the time to Gabba. IMHO.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Friday, 4 degrees and rain about an hour into the ride. Short sleeve merino baselayer and nano flex arm warmers and SS Gabba. Perfectly ok for the next hour of rain, then dried nicely as I got home.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    apreading wrote:
    IC. wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    apreading wrote:

OK, so 0 degrees here this morning, I tried the Gabba with a long sleeve base and was pleasantly surprised. I'd always thought the given temp range for it was 5-12 degrees so it clearly does better than that. I'd have been ok for a longer ride - and I must admit I do feel the cold, especially in the mornings
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • mlgt
    Good to hear that, but had it rained then you would have gotten wet quicker with the L/S baselayer.

I have yet to experiment with a L/S baselayer and some armwarmers. Will report tonight :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • mlgt
    Just an update been wearing a long sleeve baselayer with my SS gabba. It will work with armwarmers. But tighter. Hasnt been cold enough to try this combo, but looks like next week it will be sub 0 at my early cycles to work.

Not looking forward to it ;(
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • mlgt
    Just an update been wearing a long sleeve baselayer with my SS gabba. It will work with armwarmers. But tighter. Hasnt been cold enough to try this combo, but looks like next week it will be sub 0 at my early cycles to work.

Not looking forward to it ;(
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • mlgt
    Annual report and thoughts on the gabba.

Its a fantastic jersey and a value for money purchase.
    After many washes, the waterproofing does fade and can be reproofed.
    Breathable and tight but stretchy in the right places.

I wonder what the next version may be?

I have been toying with getting a rapha softshell but resisted so far.

How has everyone else who purchased a gabba since last year been getting on with theirs?
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm so-so on the Gabba - probably because it has been over-hyped on here. It does a reasonable job in inclement conditions, it's pretty light but not especially breathable (the only jersey I need my phone in a bag to protect it from my sweat in the dry). I'm happy enough with it but it's not amazing.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pblakeney
    I'm so-so on the Gabba - probably because it has been over-hyped on here. It does a reasonable job in inclement conditions, it's pretty light but not especially breathable (the only jersey I need my phone in a bag to protect it from my sweat in the dry). I'm happy enough with it but it's not amazing.
    Mine was perfectly breathable.
    Until I re-proofed it. I think the proofing has clogged the pores. Tricky balancing act between letting all the sweat out and keeping the worst of the rain out. Especially over time and washes. I seriously doubt there is a perfect jacket that will last more than (random figure) 10 washes.

Tell me I am wrong and what the perfect jacket is. Please. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • meanredspider

AirJack 851 :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I'm so-so on the Gabba - probably because it has been over-hyped on here. It does a reasonable job in inclement conditions, it's pretty light but not especially breathable (the only jersey I need my phone in a bag to protect it from my sweat in the dry). I'm happy enough with it but it's not amazing.
    Mine was perfectly breathable.
    Until I re-proofed it. I think the proofing has clogged the pores. Tricky balancing act between letting all the sweat out and keeping the worst of the rain out. Especially over time and washes. I seriously doubt there is a perfect jacket that will last more than (random figure) 10 washes.

The rapha pro team jacket is one of the best cycling related purchases I think I've ever made. Not as tightly fitted as the gabba but I think it's fair to compare them as they share a similar space for me. However the pro jacket just seems much more versatile.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • pblakeney
    The rapha pro team jacket is one of the best cycling related purchases I think I've ever made. Not as tightly fitted as the gabba but I think it's fair to compare them as they share a similar space for me. However the pro jacket just seems much more versatile.
    Problem.
    From Rapha - "NB: The Pro Team Jacket is not fully waterproof. We recommend packing a Rapha Rain Jacket with you as a waterproof outer layer for training rides."

The Rain Jacket is a long way off being breathable.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • meanredspider
    But the Gabba is a very long way from being waterproof either...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Problem.
    From Rapha - "NB: The Pro Team Jacket is not fully waterproof. We recommend packing a Rapha Rain Jacket with you as a waterproof outer layer for training rides."

The Rain Jacket is a long way off being breathable.

Pro team Jacket shrugs off a fair bit of rain having said that. Maybe not waterproof for your 4 hour downpour, but it held it's own (and more importantly kept me warm without getting soggy) over a heavy downpour for 30 mins or so.

Easily the best winter kit I've ever bought. And it actually fits. :O
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I have the gabba, alpha, rain jacket and city something or other and I'd say the gabba is super warm the alpha is more middle of warm & dry but neither, the rain jacket is just that although I've not been in a deluge in it yet and the city which should be just wind proof is also pretty waterproof and warm + lightweight.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pblakeney
    True.
    But Castelli don't recommend that you put another jacket over it. Subtle difference.
    I don't doubt the performance, I just found the recommendation a little, wierd.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    True.
    But Castelli don't recommend that you put another jacket over it. Subtle difference.

Think of it in the mind of selling to rapha types.

'Oh I need another jacket for REAL rain? Where's my credit card??"
  • meanredspider
    the city which should be just wind proof is also pretty waterproof and warm + lightweight.

Yes - bizarrely the city rain jacket is by far the best combination of waterproof and breathable of any jacket I've worn. I've been in an utter cloud-burst in it (at 2 years old - the jacket, not me) and it kept me perfectly dry.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    the city which should be just wind proof is also pretty waterproof and warm + lightweight.

Yes - bizarrely the city rain jacket is by far the best combination of waterproof and breathable of any jacket I've worn. I've been in an utter cloud-burst in it (at 2 years old - the jacket, not me) and it kept me perfectly dry.

Do you think that was a coincidence or planning? Because for £150 ish a jacket you can roll up in your back pocket and is warm and dry is pretty damn good.

It's discontinued now though isn't it?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider

Do you think that was a coincidence or planning? Because for £150 ish a jacket you can roll up in your back pocket and is warm and dry is pretty damn good.

It's discontinued now though isn't it?

No idea. Not sure if the hooded one that's out now is the same. I bought one of the last original in the outlet store for my son (in XS)
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    True.

Yeah they do. I will dig out the quote
    ...(please note the Gabba concept isnt totally waterproof and on long wet days at a moderate pace we would always recommend the use of a shell jacket) - See more at: http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/castelli-gabba-2-convertibile-jacket?var=8847#sthash.lE33UlcM.dpuf

They are still brilliant - I think they are close to the most comfortable garment I own not just the most comfortable piece of cycling clothing. But you have to be lucky to fit one of the sizes as they are uncompromising. I am trying to resist buying a red one to complete the set (yellow fawesome, black convertible, blue normal, green shortsleeve, and garmindale - hello I am imatfaal and I have an addiction).