Winter Boots - 2 Choices

2»

Comments

• antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    There are definitely much more like clown boots compared to the NW equivalent and in heavy rain I'd imagine the rain will run down into the boot as it is hard to get them tight around the ankle, but I was very impressed with their thermal qualities.

get these, invert and cut to size. Water flows over boot

http://www.drysuits.co.uk/Latex_Ankle_Seals_p/seal-latex-ankle-ac1.htm
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Good report (and great idea) but I'm puzzled as to where you were last night?! We were out and it was 16 deg!!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Good report (and great idea) but I'm puzzled as to where you were last night?! We were out and it was 16 deg!!

A frosty N Ireland. The rain headed south and left clear skies!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Ouch! Good to know the boots made up for the temperature! Sorry, but it really was 16deg C at 9.30pm when we finished in Hampshire!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    antlaff wrote:
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    There are definitely much more like clown boots compared to the NW equivalent and in heavy rain I'd imagine the rain will run down into the boot as it is hard to get them tight around the ankle, but I was very impressed with their thermal qualities.

What size did you go for in those? Good idea, going to give it a go.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    antlaff wrote:
    I wear size 43 in s/works and these are identical fit with a small allowance for wider socks. Wore a pair of BaaBaa socks when trying on and great fit. Only issue was the ankle opening. Had to pull really tight to get a good tight fit but I have this issue with overshoes etc as have thin ankles. Have got round this in the past with Drysuit ankle seals inverted and cut....

I tried these on last year(older stock plain black but looked the same design) fitting round the foot was awsome, and as they were selling off old stock a great price, however I suffer the opposite problem :(

Massive calves meant that tab rather than struggling to pull tight I was struggling to get any of the velcro to catch :(

when it did, and would have been too tight to cycle incidentally, the tab was going up at about a 45 degree angle due to the shape of the rear of my calf :(

The guy in the shop was very helpful, informing me that a 'low' version of the boot was available elsewhere as I'd said how great the fit was, but Low version kind of defeated the object...
    Thos NW albeit quite low themselves, look very neat indeed.
  • antlaff
    jordan_217 wrote:
    antlaff wrote:
    dazz_ni45 wrote:

my brother has a diving business www.aquaholics.org, so I used and old pair from a redundant suit. the size relates to the length so go for the shorter ones, as you will cut them to size.
  • jordan_217
    antlaff wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:
    antlaff wrote:
    dazz_ni45 wrote:

my brother has a diving business http://www.aquaholics.org, so I used and old pair from a redundant suit. the size relates to the length so go for the shorter ones, as you will cut them to size.

Nice one, thanks. They seem a better option than the mini outdoor ankle gaiters I was going to try.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • antlaff
    dazz_ni45 wrote:

wasnt much warmer on the north coast - got to 0.2c outside Limavady....but feet were toasty!
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    antlaff wrote:
    dazz_ni45 wrote:

wasnt much warmer on the north coast - got to 0.2c outside Limavady....but feet were toasty!

I was up over Glenshane to Dungiven so it was probably the same up there. The decent was a bit cold on the chest!
  • jordan_217