Winter Boots - 2 Choices

antlaff
antlaff Posts: 583
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I know both of these are relatively new, but has anybody used them and can vouch for either. Fedup using shoecovers so going to dish out for either Specialized Defroster Road Shoes or Northwave Extreme Winter GTX Road Boots.

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/22587/Specialized-Defroster-Road-Boot-45/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-extreme-winter-gtx-road-boots/

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    edited October 2014
    I have just taken delivery of the NW ones, from Wiggle. First impressions are good. I use the Extreme Tech SBS' as my regular road shoes and these are pretty much a Winterized version. Based on my experience of the MTB NW Arctic boots, I'm sure they'll be great in practice too. I'm just waiting for some cleats to be delivered so I can start using them.

Note that any Winter boots are not without fault - there's still be big hole in the top to allow water to enter and then you have the issue of getting the water out thorough a sealed sole and waterproof membrane. I'm going to use some outdoor ankle gaiters this year to try and stop water ingress through the top. Making a cuff from a rubber glove or motorbike inner tube are other DIY options.

For me the biggest attraction of these boots is that I don't have to mess about with overshoes at 5 in the morning in a dark, damp park and ride car park.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    I've an older pair of north wave.
    Lovely and warm, lasting well. Great improvement on the faff of overshoes
    Do suffer with a dribble down the ankle when its really unpleasant (turbo weather......)
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 NW
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I fancy those NW's.

Sizing wise how do they run? I take 45 in just about everything now, except Fizik, where I take a 44.5
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • jordan_217
    I fancy those NW's.

Sizing wise how do they run? I take 45 in just about everything now, except Fizik, where I take a 44.5

Go for a 45. I'm a 45.5 in the Extreme Techs but they come up a little small, the Artics come up smaller still so I had to go for a 46. The GTX seem much more true to size. (note - I've tried them with Wollie Boolies and the 45 is still fine).

Free returns with Wiggle too :D but 45's are currently out of stock :-(

PBK have them but they are over £200, though there's usually a PBK voucher code to be found using Google or similar.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Ta! I'm after the MTB version. £8 cheaper and in stock :D Will have to press go before next Monday when platinum runs out!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • jordan_217
    Ta! I'm after the MTB version. £8 cheaper and in stock :D Will have to press go before next Monday when platinum runs out!

Double dog dare ya'

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKRdoXUXvfz5LMOa1Ls1wnS-JoSLmWW-xEJ7y7QrgbpXETA-mQL4JoFek
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have just taken delivery of the NW ones, from Wiggle. First impressions are good. I use the Extreme Tech SBS' as my regular road shoes and these are pretty much a Winterized version. Based on my experience of the MTB NW Arctic boots, I'm sure they'll be great in practice too.

Is there much difference between the Northwave GTX/ Arctic/ Farenheit winter boots? I had a look on the website but the information didn't tell me much.

Peter
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    Hi there, I have an older pair of the Specialized Defroster shoe, the first year they went with boa closure (1-2 years old). They don't have that extra high cuff as on the new pair. They are difficult to recommend because they are nowhere near waterproof - as much as these things can be. I ride with friends who have Shimano MW81's and always get wet feet long before they do (if they do). An expensive error!
    Yak
  • northpole wrote:
    I have just taken delivery of the NW ones, from Wiggle. First impressions are good. I use the Extreme Tech SBS' as my regular road shoes and these are pretty much a Winterized version. Based on my experience of the MTB NW Arctic boots, I'm sure they'll be great in practice too.

Is there much difference between the Northwave GTX/ Arctic/ Farenheit winter boots? I had a look on the website but the information didn't tell me much.

Peter

I have the Arctic which is the MTB (two bolt cleat) version of the Farenheit. Both these are fleece lined, the GTX is not. I'd highly recommend them and think the fleece is worth having. With Woolie Boolie socks they are toasty down to 3 or 4 degrees and as waterproof as the best shoe + neoprene overshoe combo I've tried. Make sure you get toe wiggle room in thick socks for really cold use as this is key to warm feet. My Specialized road shoes are 42, my Northwave boots are 43.
  • jordan_217
    northpole wrote:

Peter

I have the Arctic which is the MTB (two bolt cleat) version of the Farenheit. Both these are fleece lined, the GTX is not. I'd highly recommend them and think the fleece is worth having. With Woolie Boolie socks they are toasty down to 3 or 4 degrees and as waterproof as the best shoe + neoprene overshoe combo I've tried. Make sure you get toe wiggle room in thick socks for really cold use as this is key to warm feet. My Specialized road shoes are 42, my Northwave boots are 43.

+1
  • antlaff
    Going to have a look at the Defrosters tomorrow. spoke with shop and they are supposed to be a big improvement on previous boots.

10468227_767622823305112_4847083244192932900_o.jpg
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Fuck, they are truly ugly aren't they!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • jordan_217
    fark, they are truly ugly aren't they!

Remind me of…

Spatspair.jpg
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    fark, they are truly ugly aren't they!

+1000 - TRULY ugly
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    antlaff wrote:
    Going to have a look at the Defrosters tomorrow. spoke with shop and they are supposed to be a big improvement on previous boots.

I'm struggling to get my head around the design of these. Do Spesh really think that Gangsta styling is going to work for cyclists?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I bought the NW one last week and have rode in them twice. I'm a true size 8 and bought according to the size guide. The first time I rode them I wore winter merino socks and my feet were nice, snug and toasty warm. The ratchet adjusters work really well and remove the usual pressure points you can sometimes get with normal adjusters found on cycling shoes. The second time I wore them I used Aldi special winter socks and again my feet were nice and toasty. That said conditions were hardly winter with temps just dipping below single figures.

As with any shoe water will still get down the top and even more so if you wear Castelli Nano Flex leg warmers. When I got home from the second ride I rinsed the boots off with the hose and what I found was that water was splashing on the leg warmers and then running down into the shoe and onto my socks. Because the leg warmers are so effective I would imagine it wouldn't take long to end up with soaking feet on a wet road. I think this could be mitigated by wearing some long seal skin socks which is what I've just ordered.

P
  • northpole
    Bordersroadie and Jordan - thanks for the feedback. As I sit typing this note, I reckon I'd need a diving suit to keep the water out in London this evening!

Peter
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    antlaff wrote:

I'm struggling to get my head around the design of these. Do Spesh really think that Gangsta styling is going to work for cyclists?

I presume the one on the right is the one on the left but in the dark with a light shining on it showing the reflective detailing. Looks good to me.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I have the NW. Wore them a bit the winter before last, but last winter I just went for my normal shoes with all the vents duct taped. Worked fine so I'll do it again this winter. Anyone want a pair of the NW?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • antlaff
    Got the Specialized today...£144 from Mcconveys in store. Northwave out of stock in wiggle in my size and £200 in CRC!
  • northpole
    northpole wrote:
    Bordersroadie and Jordan - thanks for the feedback. As I sit typing this note, I reckon I'd need a diving suit to keep the water out in London this evening!

Well as my good fortune would have it, I clicked on the Wiggle link and rather unexpectedly they had a single pair of NW GTX road boots in stock. Not only that, but I didn't realise I was entitled to a discount and the price came out at just under £170. Even better than that is the 22 Celsius forecast for London this weekend - I can wait for the foul weather to test the boots out in!

Peter
  • northpole
    Sorry - the key bit I omitted to say - the boots are size 45 which were out of stock when I looked the previous day.

Peter
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited October 2014
    Nice boots, they do them in chain reaction as well for the same price but limited sizes. You can always set an email alert so they can inform you when your size is back in stock with Wiggle. Thats worked good for me in the past.
  • jordan_217
    northpole wrote:
    Sorry - the key bit I omitted to say - the boots are size 45 which were out of stock when I looked the previous day.

Peter

Nice one :D I too got the 45 and when I ordered mine, I appeared to get the last pair in stock. I was doubly chuffed as I was searching for the fluo commuter version, didnt realise they done a road version of the Extreme Winter boots.
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    antlaff wrote:
    Got the Specialized today...£144 from Mcconveys in store. Northwave out of stock in wiggle in my size and £200 in CRC!
    t

What are you initial thoughts on them and how do they size up?
  • antlaff
    I wear size 43 in s/works and these are identical fit with a small allowance for wider socks. Wore a pair of BaaBaa socks when trying on and great fit. Only issue was the ankle opening. Had to pull really tight to get a good tight fit but I have this issue with overshoes etc as have thin ankles. Have got round this in the past with Drysuit ankle seals inverted and cut....
  • dazz_ni45
    antlaff wrote:
    I wear size 43 in s/works and these are identical fit with a small allowance for wider socks. Wore a pair of BaaBaa socks when trying on and great fit. Only issue was the ankle opening. Had to pull really tight to get a good tight fit but I have this issue with overshoes etc as have thin ankles. Have got round this in the past with Drysuit ankle seals inverted and cut....

Thanks. I will have to call into the store as they are more expensive online
  • I just saw the NW boots here: [http://www.merlincycles.com/northwave-extreme-winter-gtx-road-cycling-boots-72709.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Road+Cycling+Shoes&ucpo=13457&gclid=CIvlqIOHzcECFY_ItAod2E4Ang]

I've asked Evans Cycles if they'll price match. Ordering a few pairs and having a try on to see which are best on my feet and can easily return Evans ones to the shop.
  • dazz_ni45
    Picked up a pair of the Specialized Defroster on saturday from my LBS and got to try them out last night as temperatures dipped to just above zero. I usually suffer from really cold feet but I came home toasty warm wearing a normal pair of socks, whereas the guys I was out with who were in normal shoes and shoes feet were numb.

There are definitely much more like clown boots compared to the NW equivalent and in heavy rain I'd imagine the rain will run down into the boot as it is hard to get them tight around the ankle, but I was very impressed with their thermal qualities.