Planet X CT45's?

2»

Comments

• Miles253 wrote:
    How do you rate the hubs on these Ugo?

They are CHOSEN hubs... they look OK and very decent hubs... as long as PX will stock their spares you will be fine, when they move to a new supplier, you will be fucxed if you need a freehub or something...
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    did they not use bitex at one point now chosen so yes the hubs they use change.

As for wider tubs I was there last winter. Wider is always better and if you don't have clearence make the extra clearance. Still waiting for conti to do a 27/28mm tub.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • did they not use bitex at one point now chosen so yes the hubs they use change.

First series used American Classic, then they used some Novatec, now Chosen
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    did they not use bitex at one point now chosen so yes the hubs they use change.

As for wider tubs I was there last winter. Wider is always better and if you don't have clearence make the extra clearance. Still waiting for conti to do a 27/28mm tub.

How do you propose to make more clearance ?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • rob.m
    rob.m Posts: 89
    Big hammer?
    It's never too late to become what you might have been...........
  • Irohug5
    Irohug5 Posts: 74
    Hi

Can anyone tell me if I would notice much performance benefit from these over say a set of campag zonda? I'm looking for a new seat of wheels for my summer bike (have a different bike for rubbish weather), not bothered about tubs or clincher as have ridden both and comfortable either way. Was going to go for the Zondas due to price but the CT45s are pretty much same price. Obviously the carbon wheels will win out on aesthetics (for me anyway appreciate its subjective). But would there be a noticeable performance benefit? Lighter, more aero, weaker braking??

I am 75kg and would use them mainly for quick group rides, some triathlons and hoping to do a bit of crit racing next year too.

Would appreciate your advice.

Cheers
  • Irohug5 wrote:
    Hi

Can anyone tell me if I would notice much performance benefit from these over say a set of campag zonda? I'm looking for a new seat of wheels for my summer bike (have a different bike for rubbish weather), not bothered about tubs or clincher as have ridden both and comfortable either way. Was going to go for the Zondas due to price but the CT45s are pretty much same price. Obviously the carbon wheels will win out on aesthetics (for me anyway appreciate its subjective). But would there be a noticeable performance benefit? Lighter, more aero, weaker braking??

I am 75kg and would use them mainly for quick group rides, some triathlons and hoping to do a bit of crit racing next year too.

Would appreciate your advice.

Cheers

I have Zondas and they are great but I guess these would be generally faster, more aero and stiffer all things being equal? Someone correct me if I'm wrong? Plus they look better. ;)
  • I have Zondas and they are great but I guess these would be generally faster, more aero and stiffer all things being equal? Someone correct me if I'm wrong? Plus they look better. ;)

I don't know, I think the aero bubble is beginning to burst and even the PROs are starting to get rid of the nonsense. Never like in 2014 I have seen top riders using shallow wheels and not only in the mountain stages of the Grand Tours. The other day Voekler did second at the pancake flat Paris-Tours and was riding shallow rims and as you can see from the photo even the guy behind made the same choice. Forecast of wind = shallow rims, so much for the alleged amazing wind cheating properties of the new toroidal rims

1440673672_B973788943Z.1_20141012204212_000_GR939MCBO.2-0.jpg
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I had the Planet X 52mm clinchers, I sold them for three reasons.

1) They weigh 1800g, my riding is all hills in the Peak District so it was pointless carrying the weight, I got some 1100g tubs instead.

2) The freehub makes an incredibly annoying noise, yes lots of wheels freewheel quite noisily but not like these, I hated it. Again though it was worse for me as hilly rides mean you're descending more which means freewheeling more than the flat.

3) They were awful in crosswinds, I actually got blown off the road onto the verge when riding up Holme Moss. The 46mm Syncros clinchers that came with my Scott were far less affected by winds.
  • Was the guy who won riding aero wheels though? ;)
  • Was the guy who won riding aero wheels though? ;)

Well spotted... the majority of the peloton still rides deep section all the time, but the trend seem to be changing... more and more 30-40 mm rims
  • jpower
    jpower Posts: 554
    So here my total non-professional feedback on the CT45's against my stock AXIS 2.0 as I know no better :D

Have used them for 2 40k rides know, routes that I use all the time.

Handling - As I am a novice, I don't know why but the CT45 feel more reassured and the ride itself feels a little better then the AXIS, they also make a nice sound through the air.

Hub - If your not pedalling the hubs are very noisy, I quite like this, reminds me to keep pedalling.

Hills - Honestly feel no different to the AXIS, may even go so far as to say as it feels like harder work, although I am a pretty poor climber in the first place.

Flats - OK now this is when they come into there own, I found once I got them above 29kmh I could just hold higher speeds with much more ease, I noticed on these flats that I use all the time my computer was registering speeds I had never seen before.

Overall pretty happy with the purchase, just wish they could help me on the climbs.

Oh and they look lovely on the bike :D

Now to run those tyres down.