Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres.

13»

Comments

• Keezx wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Mine are 23s so another fit for that observation. That said, I can't really see the width difference making such a difference unless there is something else significantly different between the tyres.

Another thing to add into the mix is that my tyres turned out to be grey shouldered rather than black (I might not have ordered them if I'd known). I wonder if there is a correlation between tyre colour and slippiness. I never tried any other coloured tyres to compare.

It doesn't have anything to do with the size IMO.
    Vittoria does something wrong with the rubbermix in the cheapish tyres which result in the properties discussed here.
    When I bought my first set Rubino Pro's in made 2 falls in that season (2011) both on wet tarmac corners.
    Never used them after the second fall in races or group training anymore.
    It reminded me of the Russian tubulars I used to ride in the 8ties, cheap , light and fast but notorious on wet roads.

But you haven't explained why there's also a lot of users for whom they've been fine. I fully accept that some people have had issues but I've used them for years (as have others) without a problem. At the moment, our best theory is the size though it's had to explain.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Manufacturers do not always use the same components or process for their products over the years.
    Could be an explanation.
  • Keezx wrote:
    Manufacturers do not always use the same components or process for their products over the years.
    Could be an explanation.

I'm onto my 4th or 5th set on 3 different bikes over a 3 year period
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • djaeggi
    djaeggi Posts: 107
    Here's a hypothesis:

Rubber has a decreasing coefficient of friction as load increases (fact - and the reason why you drop pressures/fit wider tyres in winter).
    Rubber has a decreasing coefficient of friction as you go from dry to wet, and from wet to wet+diesel. (Also fact).
    Different rubber compounds exhibit different characteristics with respect to both load and conditions. (Also fact).

The issue at hand is the "surprise factor" - grip suddenly appears to drop off. How about this: if 25mm users (higher load) are not seeing the "surprise factor", but 23mm users are, this suggests that the change in coefficient of friction between wet to wet+diesel is a function of load, i.e. the load response of the Rubino rubber compound in wet or wet+diesel conditions is quite steep, and possibly steeper than other comparable tyres.

This would be a valid reason why 25mm users don't see a problem, 23mm users do. (If this is true!)
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    They only cost £10 now from amazon seems a bargin.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    djaeggi wrote:
    Here's a hypothesis:

Rubber has a decreasing coefficient of friction as load increases (fact - and the reason why you drop pressures/fit wider tyres in winter).
    Rubber has a decreasing coefficient of friction as you go from dry to wet, and from wet to wet+diesel. (Also fact).
    Different rubber compounds exhibit different characteristics with respect to both load and conditions. (Also fact).

The issue at hand is the "surprise factor" - grip suddenly appears to drop off. How about this: if 25mm users (higher load) are not seeing the "surprise factor", but 23mm users are, this suggests that the change in coefficient of friction between wet to wet+diesel is a function of load, i.e. the load response of the Rubino rubber compound in wet or wet+diesel conditions is quite steep, and possibly steeper than other comparable tyres.

This would be a valid reason why 25mm users don't see a problem, 23mm users do. (If this is true!)

The problem with this is that you need to take into account rider weight. I weigh less than 10 stone so my 23mm tyres will be loaded rather more lightly than many people with 25s.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    djaeggi wrote:
    Here's a hypothesis:

IF the 25 mm riders are riding with substantial less pressure (as they should to get profit of the extra volume) they have more grip regardless al other thoughts and tend to have less incidents anyway.
    My two crashes in 2011 were with Rubino Pro's 25 mm and those were the ONLY crashes in wet corners in my whole career of 35 years....not even in my noob years I ever went down in a corner.
    I don't care much about tyres, but I want to have tyres I can rely on and behave as I expect.
  • djaeggi
    djaeggi Posts: 107
    Rolf, no, load largely only depends on tyre pressure, not on rider weight. Heavier riders generate larger contact patches but don't really change the load per unit area (pressure is force/area, remember!). The key benefit to 25mm tyres is the ability to run lower pressures; where heavier riders are limited is the ability to run lower pressures for the same tyre volume without running the risk of pinch flats.

Having had a quick google, check out figure 6 (rubber sliding on ceramic tiles with a water/oil mix):

http://www.ijens.org/Vol_12_I_06/121200 ... -IJENS.pdf

OK, it's not tyres, but the point is that different rubber compounds give dramatically different load response curves in this situation, which is kind of where i was going above.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    djaeggi wrote:
    Rolf, no, load largely only depends on tyre pressure, not on rider weight. Heavier riders generate larger contact patches but don't really change the load per unit area (pressure is force/area, remember!). The key benefit to 25mm tyres is the ability to run lower pressures; where heavier riders are limited is the ability to run lower pressures for the same tyre volume without running the risk of pinch flats.

You are agreeing with me even though you haven't noticed! As you effectively say, lighter riders can run lower pressures without resorting to larger tyres. Therefore, the load does depend on the riders weight as it is the riders weight that determines the tyre pressure they can use.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I have used 25mm black/grey Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres for the past year or so on my Kinesis, recently changing the rear due to a slash in the tyre to some glass. I have been pretty happy with them overall in terms of grip and comfort, which was a huge improvement over the 23mm Continental GatorHardskin tyres they replaced.

However, I have recently moved to Andover, Hampshire where flint is plentiful and often found on the roads. Yesterday I punctured from a shard of flint which has ruined the 2 month old rear tyre. I'm expecting this to be a semi regular experience so have bought 2 25mm black Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick tyres, which are much cheaper than the Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2 tyres that are now available.

It will be very interesting to compare them, given the mixed feedback they receive.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Been riding the Rubino Pro Slicks 25c for the the past six months. Really like them. Done 1000+ miles and no punctures to report. I regularly ride down some rough stoney gravel paths on my routes and they have resisted cutting up quite well. Damp weather grip has been good too. No sketchy moments at all. For their price,TPI,
    weight,road feel and durability i think they are hard to beat.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm running three sets now one on my SS London commuter, one on my everyday summer commuter and a larger 28c set on my old school steel, I'm really impressed and won't be going back to conti or michelin once they wear out on my other bikes, as it happens I was already running Vittoria paves and CX so I guess I've found my tyre brand.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • holiver
    I have used 25mm black/grey Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres for the past year or so on my Kinesis, recently changing the rear due to a slash in the tyre to some glass. I have been pretty happy with them overall in terms of grip and comfort, which was a huge improvement over the 23mm Continental GatorHardskin tyres they replaced.

However, I have recently moved to Andover, Hampshire where flint is plentiful and often found on the roads. Yesterday I punctured from a shard of flint which has ruined the 2 month old rear tyre. I'm expecting this to be a semi regular experience so have bought 2 25mm black Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick tyres, which are much cheaper than the Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2 tyres that are now available.

It will be very interesting to compare them, given the mixed feedback they receive.
    A piece of flint has gotten through the Rubino Pro Slick I installed on the back wheel of my Kinesis, but the cut wasn't large enough to ruin the tyre.

In terms of grip/ride comfort etc. I have not noticed any difference over the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance it replaced.
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Did a 200km audax this weekend on brand new Rubino Pros (which might be a part of it). Had the most terrifying experience I've ever had, going down a circa -12% descent, and the wheels were totally losing grip and sliding. Had an agonising 30 seconds where I was trying to bring the bike down from about 20mph to about 10mph, and every time I braked even gently the wheels were just slipping out more.

I was at the point where I was starting to plan where would be safest for me to take a fall. This wasn't just a single slide, I must have nearly lost the bike 6 or 7 times with total loss of control for about 100m.

The road conditions weren't great (certainly wet but didn't seem to be dirty) but I've ridden in far worse conditions many times without anything like that experience. None of the other audaxers seemed to have any similar problem either.

I'm not for a second saying this is the experience that all people with Rubino Pros will have had, but it's my first experience of them. The tyres had only covered about 40 miles at that point, which is possibly part of the cause.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Gotta add my experience here...

Tried the 25mm from decathalon but took off after around 4 weeks and 400 miles.

Really not confident in them in the wet - sliding around way too much compared to what I was used to...leading to a (thankfully only) minor off, my first in 4 years and 20000 miles cycling.

They'll go on the turbo now...
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    My 2p's worth....

Switched from 25mm gatorskins to 23mm rubino pro's on my commuter. The rubinos roll noticebly better but are definitely more twitchy in the wet, haven't had an off yet but it's been interesting a few times. It's not enough of an issue to make me ditch them (I'm too tight for that!) but enough that I consciously think about it when braking - which possibly is not a bad thing.
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Rubino Pro Slick are the only set of tyres I've removed from the bike because I felt they were dangerous rather than because they were worn out. Had them on the Winter bike so I was willing to accept that handling would not be on a par with top end race tyres but these things would step out on fairly low speed corners if it was greasy.

I'm a fan of Vittoria race tyres too and have never found grip to be lacking in the wet with those even though I have seen some question it - it''s just these Rubino Pro Slick that I couldn't get on with.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    edited June 2016
    If Rubino Pro are even more slippery in the wet than Gators, that sounds seriously dangerous.
  • itboffin
    Could be that I've not experienced any slipping because all of the roads here are little more than broken connections of ancient tarmac and now they started covering it with that tar plus loose stone surface treatment.

My average speed over the "repaired" roads is almost half what it was beforehand
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Used them for a few years as an all year round training/commuting tyre: nothing amazing to report really: did the job, lasted well, gripped ok, dirt cheap.

I think it was the latter that initially attracted me to them and the fact that I never had any problems with them meant that I never stopped buying them.

Completely slick and ll black they look cool as well.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • holiver
    holiver wrote:

A piece of flint has gotten through the Rubino Pro Slick I installed on the back wheel of my Kinesis, but the cut wasn't large enough to ruin the tyre.

In terms of grip/ride comfort etc. I have not noticed any difference over the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance it replaced.
    Although I have been running Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks for roughly a year, my mileage hasn't been huge and I do not consider that they have lasted that well on the flint strewn roads in North West Hampshire. The rear tyre has suffered significantly from cuts and I have recently started to pick up punctures as a result as my mileage has started to increase after hockey season. I have also come across the lack of grip in the wet. This was most notable on a ride on Saturday when climbing out of the saddle on a damp, ~15% gradient resulted in some tyre slip.

I have a set of 25mm Schwalbe Duranos on the way. I wonder whether these will be any better?
  • Has anyone tried the new G+/Graphene models? There seem to be about 3 different folding variants (standard, 'Control' and 'Speed').

Wondering about a future Open Pavé alternative, given Vittoria have now discontinued it (managed to stock up via Planet X at £20 a pop the other day though).
  • holiver
    They seem like decent value for money at £21 at Wiggle. I might try them after the Durano's I've ordered wear out and once there is more feedback available.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    These appear to be £16 at PBK at the moment...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    had a full on snake slide yesterday but to be fair the roads were hidden under several inches of mud stones and gravel from the previous days epic storms and i was descending at speed, typically of course I had a car right up my arse at the time.

I'm not sure any tyre would have been any better
  • I have always used on my bike Rubino pro tech's. The only difference to normal pro's is the kevlar strip I believe. I have not been worried about them. But then I know no difference. Only use them because I have always used Vittoria tubs, mostly the now defunct Pave's

I'll buy a pair of Schwalbe's and report back my findings.