New Garmin speed cadence sensor

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi

Has any got the new style Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor?

Is it any improvement on the older one?

Does anyone know if the Garmin 510 or 810 comes with this new sensor or the old one?

Thanks

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Yes they're good. Some like them, some don't. Personally I prefer them. No more messing with cable ties if you need to remove a sensor if swapping wheels and the device detected it immediately. My 810 came with the old sensor when bought 12 months ago so I expect it will depend how old the stock is when you buy one.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The new sensors work just as well as the GSC10 but for swapping bikes, they are brilliant.

No magnets, no cable ties, just two self contained units (one on the crank, one on a wheel hub) that strap on with their own rubber bands. Perfect.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Thanks for the replies. Exactly the info i was looking for.
    Will get one ordered now!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just got mine.
    Two items/attachment points instead of three. No silly spoke magnets, and no huge odd shaped thing (asking to be knocked) on the chain stay was a no brainer for me.

They have to work better than the old style ones that have stayed in the box since I got my edge 500 over a year ago lol
  • Anonymous
    Are you selling, Carbonator?
  • Anonymous
    No sorry. Was planning on putting on bike I use on rollers.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    The new ones are also good if you have little space - my chain stays are tight into to the wheel, so I struggled mounting old style.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Anyone got experience with the cadence sensor and a direct mount brake under the bottom bracket?

I have a Felt AR1 and I know there are clearance issues with stages power meter's so I'm wondering if the new cadence sensor would have the same problem.
  • Bar Shaker
    If there was a risk of fouling the calliper, you could probably move it further up the crank arm, nearer the pedal.

The sensor is small and you could probably even put it on the drive side.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • tonyhogg
    tonyhogg Posts: 115
    anybody know if this fits over chunky chain stays easily, collage c60? looks a really big improvement over the old version
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    tonyhogg wrote:
    anybody know if this fits over chunky chain stays easily, collage c60? looks a really big improvement over the old version

There is nothing on the chainstay at all with the new version. Goes on the crank only and works by gyroscope type thingy rather than magnet passing near to a sensor on fixed part of bike (which was the old way)
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    I got one , but does not work with a Bryton 40 , but does with a Bryton 50 ?
  • The new cadence sensor is super-neat, isn't it? The old one always struck me as fugly - I'm just planning getting one so this new launch is great timing.

Thanks to the OP for sharing the info.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Serious question - why do you need a speed sensor when the unit provides speed via GPS?

I get the cadence bit (yet I'd prefer the Wahoo RPM cadence gizmo) but I don't get the speed sensor.
  • apreading
    Serious question - why do you need a speed sensor when the unit provides speed via GPS?

Its more accurate than GPS (if you use auto calibration), works better with auto-pause as it realises you are moving quicker (GPS needs to wait and make sure it isnt just 'drift' first) and stopped quicker, works better in poor signal areas and under trees and works better when altitude changes are factored in.

None of the differences are major, but all are improvements.
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    apreading wrote:

Its more accurate than GPS (if you use auto calibration), works better with auto-pause as it realises you are moving quicker (GPS needs to wait and make sure it isnt just 'drift' first) and stopped quicker, works better in poor signal areas and under trees and works better when altitude changes are factored in.

None of which really matter or make it worthwhile paying the extra money.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    apreading wrote:

Ok, appreciate the response. Don't see why it is worth the extra, but hey Ho.
  • apreading
    To be honest, for me personally, more accurate speed and distance measurements are worth more than the cadence sensor, which sounded like a good idea but I have found no use for and dont even bother looking at the graphs once I have uploaded them. I listen to my body and have learned what works in natural rhythm and dont need science to tell me how fast to pedal, but I guess if I was a pro-rider it would be more important.
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    Personally I have no interest in speed. It's simply function of where I am, what the weather is and how hard I am trying.

I ride for pleasure and fitness.

Pleasure doesn't need speed.
    Fitness is better developed and measured by power and/or effort (perceived or heart rate).

So, I do not even have a speed display showing on any of my Garmin pages.

I do find cadence useful though. I want to develop leg speed and. do not always trust what my body tells me. A year or so into riding I can now guess, within about 5rpm what my cadence is. When I started I was often 20 out.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Speed sensor is quite handy on a turbo. Unless you've got a power meter I guess.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Not read the above, however in keeping with the original question; with the new bike I got the new sensors. Look better, hide away, no cable tie marks, no need for magnets and the solutions. Win Win.

Would I buy it again, only for a frame that hasn't had the cable ties on.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    Ive bought one for my Garmin 810 - Works perfectly out of the box. Could get on with the old one looks wise.

Sold the old style on ebay and went with the new style package of hub sensor and cadence which is also very nice.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    The sensor is small and you could probably even put it on the drive side.

I think you could get half a revolution from it before it sheared off on the drive side.

I love the new style compared to the old, so much neater and looks a more finished product. The old one was hideous on refelction.
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I had one of these delivered this morning ready for my new bike which will be here in a couple of weeks. It looks like a decent and neat design and easier to set than the old one on my future winter hack. To be fair though, I haven't had a single issue with the old style one and haven't come close to damaging it with a foot or crank. I think they were fine if fitted with some thought and care but I agree not the prettiest of things!

Anyone looking at this thread should also consider the Wahoo sensor http://uk.wahoofitness.com/wahoo-blue-sc-speed-and-cadence-sensor.html which is usefull in that it is Ant+ and bluetooth compatible so it can be used on smartphones as well as Garmins. It's ugly though in a similar way to the older garmin!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Has anyone got any feedback on either the Garmin or Wahoo cadence sensors now they've been out for a while?

Any reason to go for one or the other?
  • Bar Shaker
    Has anyone got any feedback on either the Garmin or Wahoo cadence sensors now they've been out for a while?

Any reason to go for one or the other?

The Garmin units are separate units for speed and cadence. They are almost invisible and they do not need spoke or crank arm magnets.

The Wahoo unit has the opposite properties but can connect to your phone.

You decide which suits you better.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bar Shaker wrote:

The Wahoo RPM is the same as the new Garmin unit, also not needing magnets etc:

http://uk.wahoofitness.com/wahoo-rpm-ca ... ensor.html

Works on ANT+ so is more or less like for like with the Garmin. Just wondered if anyone has used either yet and has a strong recommendation either way. They're roughly the same price.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Bar Shaker wrote:

The Wahoo RPM is the same as the new Garmin unit, also not needing magnets etc:

http://uk.wahoofitness.com/wahoo-rpm-ca ... ensor.html

Works on ANT+ so is more or less like for like with the Garmin. Just wondered if anyone has used either yet and has a strong recommendation either way. They're roughly the same price.

You do realise this is just the cadence sensor and not speed /cadence don't you? The one I linked to higher up is the dual sensor pack.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Wahoo don't list a freestanding speed sensor. You want separate speed and cadence you either mix and match, or go for the garmin.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)