Winter cycling safety article help

stuart_c-2
stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I have been volunteered to put an article together for a work newsletter about winter cycling safety (and running as well apparently) so am looking for some good sources or articles to pinch from.

Found some of the basic stuff online but looking for something with some impact. It has been suggested to try and find a video about visibilty, similar to what they do with motorbikes not being seen. Anyone seen anything useful like this, or any headcam footage on Youtube? (About to go looking myself now)

I'm not a natural marketing?PR/wordy person, so as its stands the article would be along the lines of "Be seen, don't be a dick..."

Thanks
"I ride to eat"

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Tell them to avoid painted lines and metalwork when it is wet.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Always have two rear lights, as you won't know when one fails.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    beware the hun in the sun: E-W road orientation, low sun, wet road, you are invisible until the dark commute starts.
  • 2 lights front and rear - one flashing, one constant (for people to judge speed).

Road positioning - an all year one really.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've mentioned this before:

http://tomroelandts.com/articles/the-looming-effect

The looming effect. Worth reading and understanding. It explains how to make yourself more visible to drivers waiting to pull out or turn right across your path.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    More generally, always carry one more set of lights than you think you need; that way, you need more than one failure to force you off the bike (or, worse, tempt you to ride invisibly).

Check tyres regularly for flints and glass, to increase the odds of finding them before they cause a puncture.

Not specifically related to Winter, but never get yourself into the position where you're alongside a moving vehicle unless it's overtaking you (and therefore knows darn well that you're there).

Assume every other road user is a total idiot (doubly so if driving is part of their job) but treat them as if they're a traffic policeman with a video camera.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    TGOTB wrote:
    Check tyres regularly for flints and glass, to increase the odds of finding them before they cause a puncture.
    especially if you're about to ride in the wet - it's then they'll make their final journey through the tyre and into the inner tube
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • tgotb
    rower63 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    especially if you're about to ride in the wet - it's then they'll make their final journey through the tyre and into the inner tube
    Only this morning I heard a metronomic ticking sound as I was riding across the park. Turned out to be a shard of glass that I managed to remove before it made its way to the inner tube...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • MichaelW
    Loss of traction (skidding) on:
    wet leaves +
    white lines
    metalwork
    cambered road surface
    slick road surface
    dropped curbs crossed at an angle
    roadworks pneumatic hose, when crossed at an angle
    esp when braking AND turning.

ice: esp in shadows and dips. Learn the micro-climates on your route.
    under snow
    on untreated bike paths.
    Consider studded tyres during a big freeze.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Road position - left hand tyre line is a very predictable place to ride, drivers will be more likely to see you there than in the gutter, will give you more room and can see the line you are travelling on. More important in bad weather as it is swept and cleared of debris and snow.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • This was quite an interesting read, there's a 'What you can do' section for cyclists at the end:

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/
  • MichaelW
    This was quite an interesting read, there's a 'What you can do' section for cyclists at the end:

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

Great advice for drivers, but no petrol-head websites have picked up on this. Perhaps if there were a popular motoring program on the BBC, they could cover his type of subject, rather than dropping caravans onto cyclists from jet fighters.
  • I was waiting for a mate in Finsbury Park last night so found myself paying close attention to cyclists coming up the road under a railway bridge so quite dark for an urban area. No matter how good the lights if they were wearing dark clothes (most of them) they were not readily identifiable as a cyclist... quite scary realisation that light coloured clothes are essential
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I was waiting for a mate in Finsbury Park last night so found myself paying close attention to cyclists coming up the road under a railway bridge so quite dark for an urban area. No matter how good the lights if they were wearing dark clothes (most of them) they were not readily identifiable as a cyclist... quite scary realisation that light coloured clothes are essential

I am not sure that ight coloured clothes are essential.

I wear a black jacket in the depths of winter. It has reflective areas and I light up like a beacon when lights shine on me (I also wear reflective tights that are black and have a matte black bike and guards that both have reflective parts). So I dont buy this. High vis is only visable if people are looking. You can wear what you like but if someone is on the phone/playing with the radio/ looking elsewhere then it makes no odds what colour your jacket is.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    There are lots of short articles on the Sky Ride website which may be useful and its BC connection may lend credence for some. http://www.goskyride.com/TipsAndIdeas
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    rubertoe wrote:

I wear a black jacket in the depths of winter. It has reflective areas and I light up like a beacon when lights shine on me (I also wear reflective tights that are black and have a matte black bike and guards that both have reflective parts). So I dont buy this. High vis is only visable if people are looking. You can wear what you like but if someone is on the phone/playing with the radio/ looking elsewhere then it makes no odds what colour your jacket is.

The key is high contrast with your surroundings. In the dark, that might be lights and reflectives. In the daytime (in winter in this case), lights might be adequate but only if they're very good. High contrast clothing is very effective. One of the most effective bits of clothing I've seen is a friend who rides in a TdF polka dot KoM jersey (he's blistering up hills). Even my wife commented on how good it was.

Of course, if the person isn't looking, then a bell or horn or shout is probably your only chance.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tgotb
    vermin wrote:
    There are lots of short articles on the Sky Ride website which may be useful and its BC connection may lend credence for some. http://www.goskyride.com/TipsAndIdeas
    One of my recommendations would be to avoid wearing the mostly black Team Sky kit :evil:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • vermin
    rubertoe wrote:
    I was waiting for a mate in Finsbury Park last night so found myself paying close attention to cyclists coming up the road under a railway bridge so quite dark for an urban area. No matter how good the lights if they were wearing dark clothes (most of them) they were not readily identifiable as a cyclist... quite scary realisation that light coloured clothes are essential

Essential? No.
    Guaranteed to keep you safe? No
    Guaranteed to help you pull? No
    More readily visible than black in daylight or under streetlights? Yes.
    More readily visible than reflectives in daylight/twilight? Yes
    Worth wearing? Your choice.

You refer to the situation where "someone is on the phone/playing with the radio/ looking elsewhere" and use the word "odds". You're right, it's a gamble really, this cycling at night amongst all the traffic lark. How many compromises an individual is willing to make to improve their chances of survival is that individual's choice, but I think it would be irresponsible to say to a bunch of strangers, of unknown skill and experience, "Oh, just ride a matt black bike and wear black clothes at night - you'll be fine. Look at me - I'm not dead yet am I".
  • rubertoe
    vermin wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Essential? No.
    Guaranteed to keep you safe? No
    Guaranteed to help you pull? No
    More readily visible than black in daylight or under streetlights? Yes.
    More readily visible than reflectives in daylight/twilight? Yes
    Worth wearing? Your choice.

You refer to the situation where "someone is on the phone/playing with the radio/ looking elsewhere" and use the word "odds". You're right, it's a gamble really, this cycling at night amongst all the traffic lark. How many compromises an individual is willing to make to improve their chances of survival is that individual's choice, but I think it would be irresponsible to say to a bunch of strangers, of unknown skill and experience, "Oh, just ride a matt black bike and wear black clothes at night - you'll be fine. Look at me - I'm not dead yet am I".

I am not saying that my way is the correct way, just that it is "a way" and that the items that I choose to wear having assesed the risks are acceptable to me.

I was clearly stating that light coloured clothes are not essential in response to someone saying they were.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• tgotb
    rubertoe wrote:
    Clearly I am not saying that, I am not saying that my way is the correct way. I was clearly stating that light coloured clothes are not essential.
    Beyond a pair of speedos, to avoid getting arrested for indecency, no clothing is essential. It's a pretty good idea though.

Sure, bright clothing is no defence against the people who aren't looking at all, but it's quite useful for the vast majority of drivers who are. I always picture a slightly myopic but ultimately well-intentioned person peering through their windscreen in the dusk, as the rain pours down and their windscreen wipers go back and forth. That's the person who's more likely to spot you in bright clothing.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • vermin
    @ rubertoe

True. I'm not attacking or criticising you (we're all/mostly relatively experienced cyclists here and will wear as much dark clothing as we wish), but my understanding of the purpose of the thread was to seek helpful guidance, not semantics, and the more helpful guidance IMHO was: if in doubt, wear bright clothing.
  • rubertoe
    I do get that and dont get me wrong, I am no exclusive ninja cyclist and having been hit twice this year, once during the day whilst wearing red, which is the colour that is easiest to spot and once at night, in the rain while wearing a high vis rain jacket and lit up like a christmas tree,, I just dont buy into bright coloured clothing means that you are less likely to get squished.

Edit: To a novice, riding in winter conditions for the first time i would also suggest that it would be silly not to invest in light or contrasting colours for the conditions you will be riding.

• I was just saying what I saw and will be lightening up my cycling wardrobe - nobody went through in dark clothes with reflectors but I am guessing it would do the same job as light clothes
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    rubertoe wrote:
    I am no exclusive ninja cyclist and having been hit twice this year, once during the day whilst wearing red, which is the colour that is easiest to spot and once at night, in the rain while wearing a high vis rain jacket and lit up like a christmas tree, I just dont buy into bright coloured clothing means that you are less likely to get squished.

…and your logical fallacy is… (drumroll)… Anecdotal: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal :wink::mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • rubertoe
    Seajays wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    I am no exclusive ninja cyclist and having been hit twice this year, once during the day whilst wearing red, which is the colour that is easiest to spot and once at night, in the rain while wearing a high vis rain jacket and lit up like a christmas tree, I just dont buy into bright coloured clothing means that you are less likely to get squished.

…and your logical fallacy is… (drumroll)… Anecdotal: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal :wink::mrgreen:

Show me the evidence then, untill that time all i have to go on is my own experience.

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rubertoe wrote:
    Seajays wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Show me the evidence then, untill that time all i have to go on is my own experience.
    Same rationale as the fighter pilot piece I'd assume. Contrasting colours stand out. Standing out gets noticed, getting noticed means you're less likely to get squished. Unless it's an Addison Lee van, then they lock on target more quickly.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Seajays wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Same rationale as the fighter pilot piece I'd assume. Contrasting colours stand out. Standing out gets noticed, getting noticed means you're less likely to get squished. Unless it's an Addison Lee van, then they lock on target more quickly.

a very good point - we are making it easier for them... now I am so confused I don't know my own name
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    So, can I get a jersey that fires out chaff when a car (Addison Lee presumably) locks on?

That should give both the driver's mind and their lights something to reflect upon.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    rubertoe wrote:
    To a novice, riding in winter conditions for the first time i would also suggest that it would be silly not to invest in light or contrasting colours for the conditions you will be riding.

interestingly of course :) its the contrast thats the key not necessarily the lightness, I was following a cyclist the other day wearing a light grey/tan coloured top,with a defacto high viz vest, who probably thought they were perfectly playing the Im visible game, but what they probably didnt realise is when they raised their arm to indicate, the light grey/tan coloured arms of their top, then blended perfectly into the background mix of colours.

so you could see they were there for sure, but the only indication you got they were about to turn is when they appeared to just be veering across the road, which combined with a lack of a shoulder check meant they were probably alot less safer than theyd imagined.

its worth also saying in winter, the conditions you ride in the morning,ie fog/mist, are not always the same conditions you ride home in, ie dark.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    For winter riding - take corners/direction changes more slowly.

You'll see more accidents reported on this forum from around October onwards.

It's a combination of less predictable ground, more likely to be greasy & have leaves and other rubbish on the road, and, (i'm convinced...) people whack on more puncture resistant tyres which have a lot less grip (but this might be my own prejudice).

Good tip for lights which I don't think anyone has mentioned - like cars, you should dip your lights (front AND back), to avoid glaring other road users.

Put on mudguards if you haven't already. They will keep you dry when the air is but the road isn't, and more importantly you won't be spraying water all over your new and expensive lights.

Like other times in winter, layered clothing, base layers, wind stoppers etc, are good for changeable conditions. When it's hilly it's easy to get too hot & sweaty going uphill, only to get a harsh chill from the same sweat when you go down.

Also, be aware of low-sun situations, especially when it's behind you but in the eyes of oncoming traffic. Can be really blinding to other road users.