Knee/Leg issues

manxshred
manxshred Posts: 295
I have a problem with my left leg or knee. When I am riding, I can see my knee moving from side to side. I also have most of my weight on my right hand sit bone, and have noticed that my left foot can rotate to be toe out with my toes pushing against the outside of my shoes. I've also noticed some instability in my left knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke on occasion where it feels like my knee overextends without control.
I can also feel that something is not right when I am walking. My left knee seems to be unstable, clicks, and can feel like it is not quite right.

So, is this something I can fix myslef, doing some leg strengthening and stretching exercises, or is it worth trying to find a bike fitter that understand biomechanics to take a look?
I have had 2 fitting, with the last one on by a retul fitter, but it didn't address the issue.

Comments

• mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    Could be numerous things, I suggest seeing a sports massage/physio person or an osteopath to have a look at you. You have an imbalance somewhere, I would look at your butt first, locked piriformis, tight hip flexors, glutes tight etc, on a muscular level you might be locked tighter than Wakefield prison. This could be affecting your quads or IT Band etc etc. Massage might get things moving again. Forgot the NHS, pay some money to see some locally. Hope this helps
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    I had something similar a while back...

Turned out it was Peripheral Nerve Neuropathy caused by a trapped Peripheral Nerve branching off the Sciatic Nerve.

Lost a lot of strength and control of left lower leg muscles... weird. But got over it.

Eventually....

Took 6 months to regain full muscle control. Initially I couldnt Dorsi-Flex my left foot, but slowly it all wired back together.

:wink:
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    I had similar symptoms, my retul fitter sorted it, involved saddle height changing, fore and aft tweaking, shims and wedges on the cleats.

Your Retul fitted should of dialled out any knee horizontal movement as best he could given the limitations of your cleat float/orientation.

But as many people say, the Retul system is only as good as the operator using it, mine was Andy at Bike Science in Bristol.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    I think I'm going to find another fitter. The problem is that is going to involve a lot of travel for me.
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    your fit might not be at fault, physio first in my book