Garmin Edge 500

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited September 2014 in Training, fitness and health
I posted something re. this on another board, but have other questions that are better suited here.

I've just setup the turbo as the nights are drawing in. I used the turbo last year without HRM but want to make sure my time/effort isn't wasted so HRM is a must this year. After a quick look can get one for around £30 but have the opportunity to get a Garmin Edge 500 at Christmas.

Just been doing a little reading up on the 500 and saw the interval training part of the software which really appeals.

Could anyone who uses/has used one please explain the benefits of the 500 over a bog standard HRM.

Thanks

Comments

• The Garmin Edge 500 has lots of benefits over a standard HRM. But, you don't need the benefits of the Edge 500. All of its features will not make you fitter as it is simply a tool. It is how you use the tools available to get the job done that make it easier.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/sports/cycling/edge-500/prod36728.html

I use the workouts feature in Garmin Connect up to create and upload training plans. Using just HR for these takes a bit of practice as HR lags behind effort and it is very easy too overshoot the effort.

Put it another way, if I lost my Garmin I'd have a new one tomorrow.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    it's useful to get averages, max etc and to print out a graph of HR during an interval session but whether that is enough benefit on its' own is debatable. In conjunction with a power meter (mine is a powertap) it is an amazingly useful tool such that when a button wore out on the Garmin I got another straight away.