Athlete Lab Cannon St - any experience?

FransJacques
FransJacques Posts: 2,148
http://athlete-lab.co.uk/our-labs/

Anyone tried it? A guy at work goes and enjoys the structure. It looks like group turboing/spinning but with a lot more specific focus on goals.

It's not cheap, but nothing is. I'm thinking about it.
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.

Comments

• http://athlete-lab.co.uk/our-labs/

Anyone tried it? A guy at work goes and enjoys the structure. It looks like group turboing/spinning but with a lot more specific focus on goals.

It's not cheap, but nothing is. I'm thinking about it.

Not tried it, but have a very good understand of these centres. The question is, what are you trying to achieve?

If it's a social atmosphere to help motivate you to do the work then it could be quite good (depending on the people running the sessions). On the other hand if you're looking for actual coaching to improve fitness then coaching may be a better option (although of course the two could be combined for an even better effect).

Ric
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I've met two of the guys who run the Cannon St Athlete Lab. Seemed like good chaps.

Ruth
  • It does seem odd to me that the time set aside for 'Zone 2 and 3' 'Ironmania' sessions is pretty much the same as for their high intensity sessions. I have always thought that the lower the intensity, the longer the sessions needs to be in order to get a sufficiently high training load, so that a 10 - 30 minute level 2 interval would do very little to promote adaptation. Perhaps they want to show that they understand the concept of training 'levels', but running sessions of an appropriate length for the lower intensity sessions just doesn't fit in with their business plan!
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    They're serious people, set up first here in Singapore, I know Neil (ironman athlete) who was the driver and investor. Don't go there if you don't like pain.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • pan280
    pan280 Posts: 88
    i tried a free session when they had a promotion a couple of months ago.
    i would not recommend it ...

it is not bad but its just a turbo session, my turbo at home (wahoo kickr) feels better than theirs and my bike is of course more comfortable, they also had some issues with their turbos over heating and had to change the session to accommodate this (this may have been a teething problem), they also only take spd-sl, i use look!

i also don't like the design/logos etc, i mean its just one hour on the turbo! it is uncomfortable but why focus on pain and suffering etc.. a bit ott, i do sufferfest videos and i don't mind that because it is done with more humour and is just about right. the place looks like it was done to be appealing to a certain demographic

given that you get gyms that cost 25 pcm with watt bikes in them i don't think this is worth the extra cost.
    i would only consider it if i worked 5 mins from them and i could not have a turbo at home or no gyms around work or home.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Tried it tonight, it was ok, it was basically a spinning session but with a bike that's a lot better, more like a real bike.

I didn't like that the computer did bizarre resistance recalibration to the bike, mid-effort, based on your cadence. Ended up spinning at 110 rpms to get to the target.

The facility is nice and the staff were great.

It's a toss up whether I'd pay to go - at the end of the day for £500 you can get a used Stages and do the same on your turbo or on the road.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    how much? :o or does that not seem ridiculously expensive in London? :D