Kneecap Pain

andy9964
andy9964 Posts: 930
I'm getting some pain across the top of my left kneecap (also slight on my right). It doesn't seem to bother me after a couple of miles warm up, though I can feel it if I push a bit on hills. It is always sore if I prod it (like a bad bruise feeling) regardless if I am riding or not. The pain is there when I go down stairs, but not up, and when crouching down.
Before I go to the GP/physio, I was considering using flat pedals to try and eliminate cleat position (currently using SPD and MTB shoes on a CX bike, as I have a long walk when I get to work)
So, what I want to know is, how long should I give the flats to make a difference - assuming this could be the cause of the problem
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Go to a physio.

Impossible to pinpoint from a forum post but I had knee issues this year (similar when putting the power down and walking down stairs although I am not saying we share the same thing). I self diagnosed, assumed tendonitis from poor saddle position and took anti-inflammatries for 10 days - it got a little better then went out on the bike and within 15 mins it was back and like sharp needle was being inserted into my knee. Went to a sports physio and they picked up a tight periformis muscle which was causing my quads to tighten which was pulling on my knee. 5 sessions of deep tissue massage (aka pain) and a lot of home exercises has helped. However this isn't a diagnosis as i know someone with similar issues whose problem lay with their back and their ITB. I know a physio isn't cheap but my guess is you will end up there at some point, and a good one should also be able to answer you point above, so why delay.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You are doing the right thing moving to flats as it lets you feet find their natural position and you can sort out the cleats later on. The position of the saddle often can cause knee pain. On my road bike the saddle was a little too low and too far back on its rails. This made the inside of my knee ache. After using KOPS as a starting point , moving the saddle a little forward again and raising it gradually I now ride without any pain at all.

Having cold knees or not warming up properly can also cause various injuries. As can not resting enough.

Just make sure you go to your GP if the pain persists as you don't want to cause more damage.
  • andy9964
    Thanks for that. I'll recheck the saddle position, its a new bike, as well as putting the flats on.

Mr_Poll, funny you should mention ITB, I do have a problem with that though its never really been too inconvenient. I can't put my left ankle on my right knee, when sitting cross legged, and push down on the left leg with the same flexibility as my right.
    I mentioned the knee pain to my supervisor, and he's getting me in to see the physio at work. If that doesn't help, I have medical insurance, I'll see if they can get a more sports oriented physio sessions - maybe even get a bike fit out of it :)

Thanks again
  • On this subject, I'd appreciate any advice on my knee pain.

I've had a bike fit this year and ridden over 2,000km this year without any pain at all. Last weekend I went out and rode 30 miles. The terrain was flatter than I was used to but I think this made me cocky; I stuck in too big a gear for some of the undulations when I shouldn't have. At the end, my knees were aching and the ache has not gone away so far this week.

Obviously I've learnt a lesson about riding in too big a gear. Any advice on what to do next?
  • andy9964
    Well, I got to work this afternoon, and there was an appointment at the physio for me at 4.
    Sticking on a pair of shorts and socks off, I walked up and down for a few yards for her to check my gait.
    Quickly diagnosed "really, really flat feet", causing my knees to fall inwards as I walk. Further investigation found (as suggested earlier) a tight left ITB, which worsened the symptoms on my left knee.
    So, I've been told to get some proper insoles made, get a foam roller and stretches for the ITB and also suggested a good bike fit to get the right cleat position etc
    Good news is, its fixable. Better news is, do not stop riding, as it will weaken my " nicely developed muscles" (her words not mine :) ) and exacerbate the problem

Cheers
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    sports massage, get your quads massaged
  • andy9964
    The guy I'm going to to get the insoles offers all sorts of massage, which I'm also considering.

This is starting to get expensive :shock: