Comments

• daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    25 miles each way or in total?

Each way. Not really doable is it?
  • Daddy0 wrote:
    25 miles each way or in total?

Each way. Not really doable is it?

Probably not every day, but them plenty of people would think that anyway.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Seajays wrote:

You need a pair of these:

They work a treat in ice and snow and in my experience the 26x1.9" Snow Studs are immune to punctures (you don't want to be fixing punctures in sub-zero do you) and work as low as 25 PSI with plenty of traction.

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/spikes.html

This means I need a second set of wheels then…? Having no concept of cost of a complete set of wheels (as opposed to a whole bike), what's that likely to run to? (for this)

I know, I know, but N+1 is out of the question just now!

Cheap winter wheelset
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Plus they are a right laugh when you're the only thing moving on the roads :)

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!

Part of why I use them is that they open up off road paths that no one else uses when they are covered in ice and snow.

I've had good success with decent MTB tyres ie low compound and low pressures. This is over reasonbly high hills 1500-2500ft

Almost zero foot fall though so little chance of compacted snow/ice which you get more often in urban areas.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    rubertoe wrote:
    Seajays wrote:

They work a treat in ice and snow and in my experience the 26x1.9" Snow Studs are immune to punctures (you don't want to be fixing punctures in sub-zero do you) and work as low as 25 PSI with plenty of traction.

This means I need a second set of wheels then…? Having no concept of cost of a complete set of wheels (as opposed to a whole bike), what's that likely to run to? (for this)

Cheap winter wheelset

oooo interesting i wonder if i could switch to 29" using these, anyone know if there is anything else other than the right wheelset and clearance?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    itboffin wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Seajays wrote:

Cheap winter wheelset

oooo interesting i wonder if i could switch to 29" using these, anyone know if there is anything else other than the right wheelset and clearance?

On what frame? Through axle front hub is a bit limiting, and rear axle will be 135 mm spacing... does that fit?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS