Turbo trainer

Taypsie
Taypsie Posts: 8
edited September 2014 in Training, fitness and health
I am looking at getting a turbo trainer ( elite brand ).

They have Qubo fluid trainer they say most realistic riding experience and a Hydro mag mix of fluid and magnets which gives you resistance levels.

My question is which is better do I need the resistance settings of the hydro mag as the fluid one apparently changes with your speed.

Any advice would be most appreciated

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Taypsie wrote:
    I am looking at getting a turbo trainer ( elite brand ).

They have Qubo fluid trainer they say most realistic riding experience and a Hydro mag mix of fluid and magnets which gives you resistance levels.

My question is which is better do I need the resistance settings of the hydro mag as the fluid one apparently changes with your speed.

Any advice would be most appreciated

Variable resistance settings are a negative, not a positive in my opinion.
    A fluid resistance unit will have higher resistance as wheel speed increases. You simply change gear for higher reistance and if your using a computer like an Edge etc, the actual work your doing is recorded via the wheelspeed. I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine which feels close enough (in terms of effort) that I can equate 25, 30 or 35km/h on the trainer to the same speed on a flat windless road and I'll be pretty close. This corresponds with their published power/speed curve for the trainer. I presume the Elite fluid unit is somewhat similar.
  • Thanks Ai_1 think I will go for the fluid trainer and not the combo.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I would second variable "automatic" resistance as a negative - it limits the kind of training you can do.