Cuddles calls it a day

13»

Comments

• Cadel is a member of a fairly exclusive club; The clean Tour de France winner's club! For that reason alone, he is one of the sport's greats. His Worlds win was impressive too.

As for that video where he threatens death on anyone stepping on his dog; Why exactly does he have his blooming dog at a stage race?
  • knedlicky wrote:
    Evans’ style in a difficult Tour/Giro climbing stage was never aesthetically-pleasing, but in a TT, even if he didn’t win or wasn’t the most efficient/fastest, I thought him the smoothest TT-er, most aesthetically-pleasing, I’ve ever watched, including Fabu.
    I also liked his sometimes melancholic honesty in interviews.

Evans TT style always looked like a less steady Levi. Big gear rouleur but the bike was all over the road which must cost in the end.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Pleased he's gone. Just looking at those images makes me want to puke. Dislike!
    Maybe this is the wrong sport for you to be following then.
    I know you're very new to it, but have everything wrong. You want to be the doping sceptic, you want to be the champion of panache. You so want to be what you have garnered from internet forums what a knowing cycling fan should be. Everything you post screams desperate tryhard.

+1.
    Some of the comments are wearing thin!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • As for that video where he threatens death on anyone stepping on his dog; Why exactly does he have his blooming dog at a stage race?

Because that dog was the only friend he had on that team.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Bizarre but for me the best memory of him I have is when he lost the Tour to Carlos Sastre on the Alpe in 2008.

His desperate attempts to force his bike forward and get back on terms whilst knowing full well that both Schlecks were on his wheel ready to ambush him anyway was incredible.

He knew the game was up but he refused to surrender.

And lest we forget he went that hard up that climb that Denis Menchov fell off going up hill getting round hairpin ;)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    As for that video where he threatens death on anyone stepping on his dog; Why exactly does he have his blooming dog at a stage race?

Hasn't cycling traditionally been a sport for the oddballs and loners though?
  • phreak wrote:

I am certainly both of those :D
  • phreak wrote:

What are you trying to say? :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I don't profess to know as much about pro racing as many on this forum. But any cyclist who was an accomplished mountain biker and switches disciplines and wins a Rainbow jersey and Tdf is quite unique and worthy of many plaudits.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mr Goo wrote:
    I don't profess to know as much about pro racing as many on this forum. But any cyclist who was an accomplished mountain biker and switches disciplines and wins a Rainbow jersey and Tdf is quite unique and worthy of many plaudits.

I agree.

Not that I could really name any others as examples, there are no doubt pro's who've had far more successful road cycling careers but to have done what he did after being a successful mountain biker as well is a pretty cool achievement in my books.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    I know you're very new to it, but have everything wrong. You want to be the doping sceptic, you want to be the champion of panache. You so want to be what you have garnered from internet forums what a knowing cycling fan should be. Everything you post screams desperate tryhard.

+1.

But you are allowed to dislike Gerrans/Froome/Wiggo etc?
  • arran77
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

+1.

I think you're only allowed to dislike things or have an opinion round here if you're part of the gang :wink:

Not saying I agree with what you said about being glad he was gone but unless your face fits don't have an opinion in this part of the forum :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    arran77 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

+1.

I think you're only allowed to dislike things or have an opinion round here if you're part of the gang :wink:

Not saying I agree with what you said about being glad he was gone but unless your face fits don't have an opinion in this part of the forum :lol:

I think it's when people consider you a noob or a doping fiend, or both. I am relatively new I agree, been watching avidly for only about 5 years.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    arran77 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

+1.

Unlike the bottom bracket.

Don't be such a wind up merchant.
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

+1.

Unlike the bottom bracket.

Don't be such a wind up merchant.

Most welcoming part of the forum, no heirs and graces over there.

seanoconn
  • I like Cadel, and will miss him from cycling. I can't see him being a DS or team manager, for some reason. Maybe I'm being influenced a bit by how Charlie Wegelius described him, as inflexible and not a great communicator, not to mention those (fairly entertaining, to be honest) interviews in which he yelled at various people. But you never know. Since achieving his WC and Tour, interviews have revealed him to be a lot more relaxed.

One of my fave Cadel moments was in the 2010 Tour, when he lost the yellow jersey, though I think it was Mauro Santambrogio's very best moment in his career. Despite the loss of the jersey, both of them came out of it really well. I think a lesser contender would have just given up and gone home. I blogged about it here:

http://www.nicksweeneywriting.com/last-thing-blog/beautiful-losers-winning-isnt-everything-mauro-santambrogio-and-the-2010-tour-de-france#comments.

(It's aimed at people who are not necessarily fans of cycling, so some of it features bog-standard explanations.)
    Fast up molehills but slow down mountains...
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    knedlicky wrote:
    Evans’ style in a difficult Tour/Giro climbing stage was never aesthetically-pleasing, but in a TT, even if he didn’t win or wasn’t the most efficient/fastest, I thought him the smoothest TT-er, most aesthetically-pleasing, I’ve ever watched, including Fabu.
    I also liked his sometimes melancholic honesty in interviews.
    A good TTer yes but not sure I agree about his style. Wiggo looks more elegant and more comfortable in the TT position than any top rider I've ever seen and big Tony mashing the big gear is a sight to behold.

One of my favourite Cadel moments is when he lashes out at the guy who touches his sore shoulder. :mrgreen: I'd link to it but can't get to youtube at work.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • His shoulder may have been sore, but he seems to have got narked at them mainly because they touched his CL lion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikzgWE3t0A
    Fast up molehills but slow down mountains...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    _DSC5809.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    _DSC5809.jpg

Class.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • That was a great stage