Cuddles calls it a day

Comments

• mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    I reckon the guy is a legend. Must have been the only clean serious contender throughout those early tours, working his socks off against known dopers. Saiz often said he had the best physiological condition of any racer he had trained.

2007 was pure class when he kept pluggin away while contador and Rasmussen infused themselves up the mountains. Just after the cameras panned away, Cadel gurned and gnashed his way over the line...

He is one of those bike riders who just absolutely put everything he had into his sport and racing. I don't think there are many other riders from his generation who raced on bread and wart and at such a good level.
  • Some great photos posted earlier in the thread and great comments too.

My enduring memory of Cadel will be him dragging the GC contenders after Andy Shleck up the Galibier and turning a tour losing 4 minute plus deficit to a potentially tour winning loss of just over a minute.

The peloton will be poorer without him.

+1

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    +2

That grind is a great favourite turbo trainer video of mine...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Back in the early days of PTP he used to be my default pick for any stage race as you could guarantee that if he was on the start list he was there to race for the win (which wasn't the fashion at the time).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I will always remember Cadel riding the Giro wearing the rainbow jersey against that b'stard Basso. Really classy riding. As others have said, he didn't seem the most natural climber, but kept up with the best through sheer determination. A truly inspirational rider, to my mind.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Great thread for a great bike racer.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    I recall watching Cadel racing at Plymouth in Grundig MTB WC series back in the 90's. Always liked him and liked to see him do well. I liked his little outbursts too :D
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • tom3 wrote:
    Fair play to him for getting stuck in to his final season, remaining competitive in some stages and at least giving it a go. Also, wearing the same pair of shoes for more than one race and not bothering to have film crew to depict wee-wee poor performances all year.

Like Millar but +1
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I've had the 'Close to Flying' book on Cadel for a while but only now getting around to reading it. Not yet reached halfway, it does give an interesting insight into his early life and his introduction into cycling, about how he suffered severe brain/head injuries after being kicked by a horse and as a child and the determination to make it as a cyclist.

Has always been a top bloke and top cyclist in my view, always in a race to race even where he knew his form might not be good enough to win. I thought with better team support he might have won a few more GTs but he always made the most of what talent he had,

Cycling will be the poorer without him.
  • The race I remember Cadel becoming a 'racer' was the dauphine 2009. I'm certain it was one of Duffers' final few races and he was championing CE and although Valverde won Cadel pushed on on Ventoux.

OK, he f'd up the Sastre Tour but sometimes the team wins.

The Giro stage in the WC jersey is likely the best win in that jersey. Enough said, given the winner of that Giro fell off (I'm sure more than once).
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    type:epyt wrote:

He has said that coming second in the 2008 Tour de France was harder than winning the 2011 version. During stage 9 in 2008 he got taken out by the Euskaltel-Euskadi rider Gorka Verdugo and sustained injuries which impacted the remainder of his race. If that is the case (and there's no reason to disbelief that the situation occurred), criticism of him not winning that year is a bit harsh. Perhaps if he had been another rider or it wasn't the TdF he would have pulled out a day or two later. Instead he continued the race until the end knowing he was performing at below par and at the extremes of his physical ability.
  • type:epyt wrote:
    The race I remember Cadel becoming a 'racer' was the dauphine 2009. I'm certain it was one of Duffers' final few races and he was championing CE and although Valverde won Cadel pushed on on Ventoux.

The Giro stage in the WC jersey is likely the best win in that jersey. Enough said, given the winner of that Giro fell off (I'm sure more than once).

Is that the one where Valverde had Bertie working for him as a super domestique?
    He did some sterling work there, shutting down a super aggressive Cuddles.

Makes me wonder why Contador has chickened out of doing the same job at these Worlds.
    After all, he was asked........... :wink: :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • It was Aldo Sassi really turned him around. I have no idea what he did but he completely transformed Cadel's attitude over the course of a winter. He won some great races in great style post 2008.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Well there was that big meeting with the main players in cycling at the end of 08 when they decided they couldn't go on like they had been, allegedly.

Cuddles did do some good stuff before then

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4v8hi ... di-co_news

I remember in his first Tour Armstrong got a bit miffed with him for actually racing sometimes.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • I will miss Cuddles. When he's in form he always gives it a go and for that I can forgive him his awful shoes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Never been a fan particularly, but there's a fair bit of respect there.

Just so ugly on a bike.
  • Never been a fan particularly, but there's a fair bit of respect there.

Just so ugly on a bike.

But not as ugly as Froome :)
  • rick_chasey
    xdoc wrote:

Just so ugly on a bike.

I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.

I find something about watching Evans cycle excruciating - his style looks so pained.
  • Not a Cuddles fan either but would love it if he won tomorrow!
  • Mac9
    Mac9 Posts: 134
    Has anyone ever won the Worlds and then retired without ever wearing the jersey the following year?
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Mac9 wrote:
    Has anyone ever won the Worlds and then retired without ever wearing the jersey the following year?

Can't think of anyone unless Wiggins' plan to ride 10s in his counts. There was, sadly, Jempi Monsere who won his title in Leicester (in the race where Les West was 4th) and was killed while racing the following season.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    xdoc wrote:

Just so ugly on a bike.

I find something about watching Evans cycle excruciating - his style looks so pained.
    I've always thought he looked ugly in an entertaining way. :)

Glad that people will remember him for his aggressive racing in his later years. Can't begin to imagine how frustrating it must have been in the earlier parts of his career racing against the peloton as it was then.
  • rick_chasey
    thegibdog wrote:
    xdoc wrote:

Just so ugly on a bike.

I've always thought he looked ugly in an entertaining way. :)

Glad that people will remember him for his aggressive racing in his later years. Can't begin to imagine how frustrating it must have been in the earlier parts of his career racing against the peloton as it was then.

Pfft. He could have doped too had he wanted. :roll:
  • Never been a fan particularly, but there's a fair bit of respect there.

Just so ugly on a bike.

Same here. One of those riders I've just never warmed to. And cant bear those elbows when he's climbing.
    Lots of respect for him though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I liked him sometimes and other times not so much. He had character and was very tenacious. When the doping trickled off he came to the forefront as a proper racer. Tough as steel. European rider not Australian.

50b2ed7c873e02f62bf699091167dca4-ge.jpg
    1bettiniphoto_0052129_1_full_downlo.jpg
    400-PIC213403685.jpg
    785114be25dd7ce3bdbc84e5355bc3b3-ge-2.jpg
    Evans_zps6d1406ef.jpg
    13993386811_9d04911ecb_h_zpsd5b9a512.jpg
    20140914_C2A9BrakeThrough-Media_AX7O7941_zpse513fc6b.jpg

Nice job Cadel Evans, congratulations on a solid career as a professional bike rider.

CORVOS_00018657-054_zps865a0c78.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nice selection Frenchie.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pleased he's gone. Just looking at those images makes me want to puke. Dislike!
  • rick_chasey
    Joelsim wrote:

raised_eyebrow.gif
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Joelsim wrote:
    Maybe this is the wrong sport for you to be following then.
    I know you're very new to it, but have everything wrong. You want to be the doping sceptic, you want to be the champion of panache. You so want to be what you have garnered from internet forums what a knowing cycling fan should be. Everything you post screams desperate tryhard.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Evans’ style in a difficult Tour/Giro climbing stage was never aesthetically-pleasing, but in a TT, even if he didn’t win or wasn’t the most efficient/fastest, I thought him the smoothest TT-er, most aesthetically-pleasing, I’ve ever watched, including Fabu.
    I also liked his sometimes melancholic honesty in interviews.