The 'I'm calling it now' thread

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Peter Sagan will win Paris Roubaix 2015
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    P-R is a bit of a lottery but of all the guys who may have had the good fortune to make it to the pointy end of the race, it's hard to see past Kristoff as his form is remarkable at the moment.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Kristoff will not win Paris-Roubaix this year.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Kristoff will not win Paris-Roubaix this year.
    As it happens I don't think he will be there either - but because of the luck required to win in Roubaix, not because he is not physically capable of it.

There are a 1000 reasons why he will or won't still be in contention come the last 20Km, but if he is, he'll be hard to beat.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,358
    Wiggo will not win P-R. I would go so far as to say he'll be a DNF.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Wiggo will not win P-R. I would go so far as to say he'll be a DNF.
    I'm going for a DNF featuring another classic Wiggo bike throw/drop
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Daz555 wrote:
    P-R is a bit of a lottery but of all the guys who may have had the good fortune to make it to the pointy end of the race, it's hard to see past Kristoff as his form is remarkable at the moment.
    The idea that it's a bit of a lottery is something of a myth though. Seven of the last ten editions have been won by just two riders (they were on the podium for two of the others as well). Patrick Lefevre's teams have won 12 of the last 20. Moser won three times in a row. DeVlaeminck was in the top two eight times.

For a lottery it has very uniform results.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    That episode of "Rich's interesting facts" was brought to you by Tripel Duvel
  • milton50
    Does anyone remember what happened to Kristoff in Roubaix last year? He DNF'd apparently. Was that a mechanical or he just didn't have it?
  • RichN95.
    Milton50 wrote:
    Does anyone remember what happened to Kristoff in Roubaix last year? He DNF'd apparently. Was that a mechanical or he just didn't have it?
    He went down in the crash caused by Roulston's failed bunny hop. That finished his race.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    The idea that it's a bit of a lottery is something of a myth though. Seven of the last ten editions have been won by just two riders (they were on the podium for two of the others as well). Patrick Lefevre's teams have won 12 of the last 20. Moser won three times in a row. DeVlaeminck was in the top two eight times.

God, I'm having flashbacks of an argument I was involved in on another board after *that* stage of the Tour last year.

edit: For clarity, I was arguing the same as you. But it was like banging my head against a cobble brick.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    He went down in the crash caused by Roulston's failed bunny hop. That finished his race.

Though I totally forgot about *that*. Obviously riders falling is bad, but...
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • pinno
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

God, I'm having flashbacks of an argument I was involved in on another board after *that* stage of the Tour last year.

edit: For clarity, I was arguing the same as you. But it was like banging my head against a cobble brick.

'Cobble stone' perhaps? Not that I read a word of what you wrote.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    If Wiggo is in the lead group with 30/40k to go he's going to attempt a solo TT to the finish, leaving G with a free ride in the chasing pack.
  • JonnyT
    JonnyT Posts: 10
    Problem is that Wiggins doesn't seem to have the tactical nouse to be able to do that.. And can't power away from most of the other roulers on the flat
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    There are 2 problems for Wiggins.

1 - He's won very few road races
    2 - It's an odd year. He never achieves his goals in odd years.

:P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • The_Boy
    iainf72 wrote:

He only has one to his name doesn't he? Excluding GCs obviously.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The_Boy wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Nope, 4.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Nope, 4.
    I would struggle to name 10 times he's tried to win though.
  • The_Boy
    iainf72 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Nope, 4.

Oh. *goes off to CQ ranking to check*
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    NorvernRob wrote:
    If Wiggo is in the lead group with 30/40k to go he's going to attempt a solo TT to the finish, leaving G with a free ride in the chasing pack.

Boom. I'm still at 30k to go....
  • pinno
    Bye bye Wiggo.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    Peter Sagan will win Paris Roubaix 2015
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Nope, 4.
    I would struggle to name 10 times he's tried to win though.

My mates always used to say that at school.

"Only got a C, but no worries, I didn't really try'

Cop out.
  • RichN95.

My mates always used to say that at school.

"Only got a C, but no worries, I didn't really try'

Cop out.
    Your mates probably didn't rack up a series of A* in other exams though.
  • milton50
    Joe Root will be the highest English Test run scorer by the time he retires. Bit random.
  • pinno
    Oh well, whilts we're at it:

Sachin Tendulkar will be the next president of India.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560

Very much doubt it... it's a role with no influence and would limit amongst other things his earnings. Will be interesting to see what happens when Mukherjee's term is up given that the other side are firmly in power now.
  • pinno
    dish_dash wrote:

Very much doubt it... it's a role with no influence and would limit amongst other things his earnings. Will be interesting to see what happens when Mukherjee's term is up given that the other side are firmly in power now.

Lighten up mate.
  • Oh well, whilts we're at it:

Eek. Wash your mouth! With some detergent too.

But seriously, what dish dash said sums it up quite nicely. Still some time to go for that though.