kajjal Posts: 3,380
    apreading wrote:
    mcowan77 wrote:
    Cheers folks

What do you think of this?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... ell-jacket

It was recently reduced to £90...

Its a 13m each way commute..

The Phantom is great as long as you dont run hot. I have one and it has been worn 2/3 times and then sat in my wardrobe for the last 2 years because I just get so hot that I am dripping with sweat and uncomfortable in no time at all, even when it is cold. Lots of people love them though. If anyone wants a hardly used Red XXL (this is like an XL in Altura sizing) they can have mine for £50 (I havent done a good job of selling it though, have I...!)

Gabba is much better for me and I have a Mortirolo for sub zero temperatures.

I use a gore windstopper jacket for road and mountain biking but they are warm and best for low temperatures unless you feel the cold a lot.
  • Yeah, I've seen 851's come up on eBay for around £100 from time-to-time too...

I'll never buy 2 nd hand assos again too many rip off merchants.
  • Yeah, I've seen 851's come up on eBay for around £100 from time-to-time too...

I've seen new ones is what I mean...

Feck :! :shock: : If you see another one in XL pm me please

Feck :! :shock: : If you see another one in XL pm me please

It's not often... :|
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    It's a testament to the quality of the Airjack that people are still talking about it almost 3 years after it was discontinued.

I'd actually like to try the iJ.bonKa.6 or the iJ.shaqUno because I suspect they are a step up from the Airjack, but I need to wear out the Airjack first, which may take a very long time!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    yes the Airjack is a great jacket, had mine for a few years, still very good ...
  • can someone advise me how these two jackets compare in terms of warmth, breathability and quality please?

Bontrager RXL 180
    and
    Castelli Mortirolo Due

The latter is considerably more expensive though is available at big discount.
    I prefer the look / styling of the former though ...
  • Last Autumn/Winter I was using a Gore Oxygen Winter Jacket, fantastic jacket for cold weather commuting but it seems they may have been discontinued as I've been on the hunt for a new one (only due to losing weight and now it's massive on me).

I've found some in stock near to the OP's budget;
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... tAodGjQAag

After reading through this thread I've taken a punt on the Mavic Echappée Jacket as it's just under £65, hope I've made the right choice as the Gore is a brilliant jacket but I can't resist giving the Mavic Echappée a go.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I had a Gore Phantom and found it way too baggy and I was too hot in it, except when the temp was below zero. I now use a Gabba for spring/autumn and a Mortirolo for when it gets colder.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have the Airjack851 and have had for years but find its too hot for me and if its cold enough to wear then its usually too foolhardy to go out on my bike. Its a great bit of kit though.

I use the Assos ij.habu5 along with different base layers depending on how cold it is. And so much less Captain Scarlett.

http://assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.as ... 6&prod=344
    Brian B.
  • The Castelli Espresso Due jacket is an absolutely fantastic jacket. Good for -10C to 10C with the right base layers.

But don't expect any kind of support from Castelli or Gore when it comes to repairs. the jacket was my Xmas present last year. But come January I fell off and pt a hole in the sleeve. Contacted the shop about repairs who put me on to Castelli UK who put me on to Gore, who told me to contact their official repair companies. Two of which told me they could not repair the jacket due to the type of stretchy Gore material it is made from.

Luckily for me, my sister is a dab-hand at soft furnishings and she repaired it and unless you looked closely you wouldn't know.

So if you are going to fork out £200+ on a winter jacket go the extra mile and buy Assos, which comes with a free repair service. Well almost free, you have to pay the postage.

Saying that, the Castelli Expresso Due jacket is on sale at Wiggle for £105, which is a bargain against similar priced jackets. Other than Assos :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-trasparente-due-wind-jersey/
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • The Castelli Espresso Due jacket is an absolutely fantastic jacket. Good for -10C to 10C with the right base layers.

But don't expect any kind of support from Castelli or Gore when it comes to repairs. the jacket was my Xmas present last year. But come January I fell off and pt a hole in the sleeve. Contacted the shop about repairs who put me on to Castelli UK who put me on to Gore, who told me to contact their official repair companies. Two of which told me they could not repair the jacket due to the type of stretchy Gore material it is made from.

Luckily for me, my sister is a dab-hand at soft furnishings and she repaired it and unless you looked closely you wouldn't know.

So if you are going to fork out £200+ on a winter jacket go the extra mile and buy Assos, which comes with a free repair service. Well almost free, you have to pay the postage.

Saying that, the Castelli Expresso Due jacket is on sale at Wiggle for £105, which is a bargain against similar priced jackets. Other than Assos :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-trasparente-due-wind-jersey/

That's a Trasparente, not an Espresso. Good top. But not a jacket per se
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Mcowan77,
    I've had a gore phantom for about 4 years.Excellent jacket for most of the year apart from one gripe which,without a nice wife,would have really disappointed me and that is the quality of the zip which was c**p,its the bit at the bottom/start point where you interlock which disintegrated with even careful use meaning I had a new zip put in after 3 years after a year or so just having to be very careful.Fabric is still as good as new.My commute is 7 miles,its not waterproof but it protects well up to anything other than heavy rain but even then I'm still not cold when wet.Just need a merino baselayer in winter and zip off the arms for the spring and autumn.Too warm for the summer if on a longer ride.
    I've also just got the Aldi winter jacket for £17,not worn it yet however the quality appears amazing for the cost.Doesn't look like it will be as 'weatherproof' as the gore but appears that it will be warm for dry days.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I've had a gore phantom for about 4 years.Excellent jacket for most of the year apart from one gripe which,without a nice wife,would have really disappointed me and that is the quality of the zip which was c**p,its the bit at the bottom/start point where you interlock which disintegrated with even careful use meaning I had a new zip put in after 3 years after a year or so just having to be very careful.

I had the same problem with the zip - luckily(?!) noticed on the second ride (thats how quickly it starts!) and put a dab of superglue on the bottom of the fabric to stop it fraying. Seems OK now, but it really shouldnt have been like that - most other garments dont put unprotected fabric in this area and reinforce it with some kind of plastic protection.
  • apreading wrote:
    I've had a gore phantom for about 4 years.Excellent jacket for most of the year apart from one gripe which,without a nice wife,would have really disappointed me and that is the quality of the zip which was c**p,its the bit at the bottom/start point where you interlock which disintegrated with even careful use meaning I had a new zip put in after 3 years after a year or so just having to be very careful.

I had the same problem with the zip - luckily(?!) noticed on the second ride (thats how quickly it starts!) and put a dab of superglue on the bottom of the fabric to stop it fraying. Seems OK now, but it really shouldnt have been like that - most other garments dont put unprotected fabric in this area and reinforce it with some kind of plastic protection.

The zip on my Gore Path (RRP - £150) also had the same problem after one winter of light use...meaning I essentially had to use it as a pullover after spending ages trying to get the zip to connect. Pretty shocking at the prices these jackets are.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I've had a Foska winter jacket for the past 8-10 years, still going strong still waterproof brethabel and wind proof. The "Toastie" range is the equivalent of mine .http://www.foska.com/cycling-jackets
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Decided to go for the endura convert.. Reduced to £50 at crc...