edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Recommendations

Budget £100
Mainly for commuting

Cheers

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you are a medium, I would say this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cas ... y-ec040794

But you dont say what type of jacket you want? For freezing temps, not too hot, breathable, packable, totally rainproof? All are some form of compromise - so you need to outline the key things for you.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    apreading wrote:
    If you are a medium, I would say this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cas ... y-ec040794
    ^This. Copes with most conditions very well, with chest vents to dump heat as necessary. Very bright and good reflectives on rear. Is also practically the only jacket I've found to cope with me running very hot. Recommended.

I tend to cook in a proper waterproof, and other softshells tend to be too warm at warmer temps.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Yes the Gabba is good. I think the Assos AirJack was as good if not better as an all-rounder but it's no longer made and it's pricier. The key to winter riding is staying warm rather than staying dry. Layering up under a good windproof jacket is ideal - short sleeved and long sleeved base layers.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I've got one of these but I didn't pay anything like the price advertised on the link.
    It's probably the best bit of kit I've got and it's very very breathable.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-varium-jacket/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have a Gabba convertible but wouldn't say it was a winter jacket - more for damp rides in spring/autumn - it simply lacks any thermal properties for anything over a few hours / single digits and doesn't breathe well enough. You want a thermal windstopper fabric - Gore fabric is the best / most durable IME, so Gore, Castelli, Sportful, Exte Ondo etc.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • apreading
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I have a Gabba convertible but wouldn't say it was a winter jacket - more for damp rides in spring/autumn - it simply lacks any thermal properties for anything over a few hours / single digits and doesn't breathe well enough. You want a thermal windstopper fabric - Gore fabric is the best / most durable IME, so Gore, Castelli, Sportful, Exte Ondo etc.

Depends how hot you run - Gabba is too warm for me in spring/autumn except on the very coldest of days. Would be fine most of the winter except when its really cold but its quite versatile in winter by varying what you have underneath it. With a good merino base layer it can really go pretty cold for me. I dont know how you say it doesnt breath well enough - that is the magical property the Gabba has better than any other soft shell or hard shell. Cant imagine anything warmer than the Gabba breathing any better while still being a windstopper and keeping rain off you...
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Mavic Echappee. Great jacket and suitable for all but the wettest of rides, though it repels water quite well. Usually reduced to the OP's budget.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • apreading wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Depends how hot you run - Gabba is too warm for me in spring/autumn except on the very coldest of days. Would be fine most of the winter except when its really cold but its quite versatile in winter by varying what you have underneath it. With a good merino base layer it can really go pretty cold for me. I dont know how you say it doesnt breath well enough - that is the magical property the Gabba has better than any other soft shell or hard shell. Cant imagine anything warmer than the Gabba breathing any better while still being a windstopper and keeping rain off you...

This is why Assos 851 was such great material in the AirJack - it had the balance just right
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    The Assos Habu keeps me as warm as the AirJack ever did + is more breathable.

As for the OP, needs more info on what you want out of it. Waterproof? Cope with sub-zero conditions? Breathability important? Every winter jacket is a compromise, paying more generally just reduces the amount of compromising yo need to do. For a commuter winter jacket that doesn't need to cope with extremes or need to breathe particularly well (i.e. you aren't setting Strava KOMs on your commute) I'd stick with something from Altura or Endura, both widely available to try on at LBSs, Wiggle also have some good commuting stuff in their DHB range
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Check out the Aldi Jackets today - excellent value and I genuinely think they rival my Assos jacket in all but name.

I'm with Monty on the Gabba - its fine for wet fast rides - but its not a winter jacket and I dont think the black version would be great for comuting either.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    cougie wrote:
    Check out the Aldi Jackets today - excellent value and I genuinely think they rival my Assos jacket in all but name.
    But really? come on now ...
  • cougie
    Seriously. Lusted after the 851 jacket for years. Got one last year. Whats that silly collar clip all about ? And the saggy back if you put anything in the pockets. I should bung an Assos badge on my Aldi.
  • Someone showed me their new Aldi Winter jacket earlier. Amazing value for £16! Very well constructed and looks-wise it was pretty decent in black, white and orange. Be interested to hear any reviews of them in use. They seem to be getting better in both construction and fit/style.
    tick - tick - tick
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Picked one up this morning. Very impressed. Good fit and quality seems fine . It was a bit chilly this morning and it did a good job of keeping me warm. For £16 not sure you can go wrong.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • OP says budget £100 gets Gabba, Habu and Airjac as recommendations - could someone tell where can I get any of those for £100 please?

Endura Windchill was the best I got on same budget last year - its nice but still lust after a Gabba!
  • apreading
    The Gabba was £110 in my original link (post 2 here) in the sale. They are all sold out now.

After that, yes some of the other discussions did get carried away but hey - this is an internet forum!
  • cougie wrote:
    Seriously. Lusted after the 851 jacket for years. Got one last year. Whats that silly collar clip all about ? And the saggy back if you put anything in the pockets. I should bung an Assos badge on my Aldi.

The silly collar clip is very effective when it's really cold- fasten it and it keeps the chill out of the front. That's what I like about the 851 jackets- small adjustments in the zip and that collar can help regulate body temperature to suit the conditions.

Dunno about the saggy packets- don't suffer that. How much gear you putting in there?

As I have stated in other posts, my 851 jacket looks practically new after nearly ten years
  • Cheers folks

What do you think of this?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... ell-jacket

It was recently reduced to £90...

Its a 13m each way commute..
  • cougie
    cougie wrote:

The silly collar clip is very effective when it's really cold- fasten it and it keeps the chill out of the front. That's what I like about the 851 jackets- small adjustments in the zip and that collar can help regulate body temperature to suit the conditions.

Dunno about the saggy packets- don't suffer that. How much gear you putting in there?

As I have stated in other posts, my 851 jacket looks practically new after nearly ten years
    ##

Shouldnt the zip alone keep out the chill ? Otherwise its not doing its job properly ?
    In my back pockets its just my tool pouch really. Allen keys. Chain tool, latex gloves, cash, tyre levers. Its fine in a jersey pocket. Maybe I'll just keep it inside then.

Its a lovely jacket - but is it 10 times more lovely than an Aldi Jacket ? I'd have to say no. Also the Aldi has better reflectivity which is handy in winter.
  • The zip does, although any jacket is going to be prone to drafts entering around the neck area- fastening the collar minimises this greatly. Its only in near freezing conditions I find I fasten the collar.

Maybe invest in a PRO tool bottle thingy go store most of your stuff on the bottle cages? True, it means you can only run one bottle, but if you make sure its a large bottle it will probably be enough for most rides. This then leaves me with just phone and snacks to put in the pockets...
  • apreading
    mcowan77 wrote:
    Cheers folks

What do you think of this?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... ell-jacket

It was recently reduced to £90...

Its a 13m each way commute..

The Phantom is great as long as you dont run hot. I have one and it has been worn 2/3 times and then sat in my wardrobe for the last 2 years because I just get so hot that I am dripping with sweat and uncomfortable in no time at all, even when it is cold. Lots of people love them though. If anyone wants a hardly used Red XXL (this is like an XL in Altura sizing) they can have mine for £50 (I havent done a good job of selling it though, have I...!)

Gabba is much better for me and I have a Mortirolo for sub zero temperatures.
  • OP says budget £100 gets Gabba, Habu and Airjac as recommendations - could someone tell where can I get any of those for £100 please?

Endura Windchill was the best I got on same budget last year - its nice but still lust after a Gabba!

You'll need to be canny to find an Airjack for £100 but I've got two which I bought at this price or less.
  • Yeah, I've seen 851's come up on eBay for around £100 from time-to-time too...
  • cougie wrote:
    Shouldnt the zip alone keep out the chill ? Otherwise its not doing its job properly ?
    In my back pockets its just my tool pouch really. Allen keys. Chain tool, latex gloves, cash, tyre levers. Its fine in a jersey pocket. Maybe I'll just keep it inside then.

Its a lovely jacket - but is it 10 times more lovely than an Aldi Jacket ? I'd have to say no. Also the Aldi has better reflectivity which is handy in winter.

I'm not bothered by the collar clip nor have I ever had issues with sagging pockets.

I've never understood the 10x better type point - value is always a law of diminishing returns. The Aldi jacket probably isn't 160x better than a cut off bin bag.

I adore my AirJacks - I've used them for 4 years of commuting probably 7 months a year through all weathers in the Highlands. The 851 material is excellent: windproof, warm when wet and breathes well. I haven't seen the Aldi jacket let alone ridden in it in lots of different weather conditions so I can't comment on its relative merits
  • apreading
    Reviews I see suggest that Airjack is great from 0C-10C but as I run hot, I would guess it would have to be 5-6C or less for me to be comfortable in so really just for the coldest weather we get. This would leave a good chunk of the year when its too hot for me. Thats why I love my Gabba - because I run hot, with a warm merino base layer underneath, I can go down to 0C in my Gabba. Because its a transformer, I can take the sleeves of and run a thin summer jersey underneath and cover the cooler parts of Spring/Autumn too.

If I were buying now, I would take a really good look at the new Castelli Alpha - the Jersey and Jacket as they seem really versatile and would have a very wide range of use. Way over the OPs budget though...
  • apreading wrote:
    Reviews I see suggest that Airjack is great from 0C-10C but as I run hot, I would guess it would have to be 5-6C or less for me to be comfortable in so really just for the coldest weather we get. This would leave a good chunk of the year when its too hot for me. Thats why I love my Gabba - because I run hot, with a warm merino base layer underneath, I can go down to 0C in my Gabba.

I run hot and I use the AirJack even above 10C with no base layer (on commutes where the mornings are cold but the evenings much warmer). I also think the AirJack breathes better than my Gabba and both give about the same level of insulation and windproofing. The Gabba is slightly better than the AirJack in the wet which offsets its poorer breathability.
  • Castelli Mortirolo Due is sub £100 @ Merlin cycles atm. Have had one, well still have but too big since losing weight, and it's great if you tend to run warm vs a full WS jacket, and easily warm enough for UK conditions.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Airjack 851 is ok only if you like the Captain Scarlet look!

Much prefer the Rapha Pro Team jacket, best bit of kit they do. It was £110 in the sale recently, but they've all gone now.
  • Flasher wrote:
    Airjack 851 is ok only if you like the Captain Scarlet look!

Much prefer the Rapha Pro Team jacket, best bit of kit they do. It was £110 in the sale recently, but they've all gone now.

There's one in the classifieds ;)

Interestingly, for this year, they've re-sized it. I had a large so would need an XL in the current one.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    giant man wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    But really? come on now ...

Sounds like Aldi are shattering your dreams :)