Fluids

1_reaper
1_reaper Posts: 322
edited September 2014 in Training, fitness and health
Hi. Just recently on rides when I get back my pee is dark in colour which indicates dehydrated how ever on rides I tend to take two 600ml bottles as I tend to run hot both in summer & winter. I get through one bottle but after that I get a bloated feeling in my stomach like I'm full. Been using the same hydration product for years and not drinking or eating any different pre or post ride. It's like my head says drink your thirsty but the stomach says no your full. We're talking on 40 plus mile rides. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What do you mean by 'hydration product' ?
  • Sounds like you might not have been hydrated beforehand?

Is not uncommon to feel bloated as sounds like your taking on too much fluids in too short s time frame.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Sounds like you might not have been hydrated beforehand?

Is not uncommon to feel bloated as sounds like your taking on too much fluids in too short s time frame.

Not being sufficiently hydrated before I set out is where I always go wrong.

Strangely, as I get fitter, my thirst has gone down. From 2-3 big glasses of water a day at work I now forget to even drink just 1.
  • Thanks for the heads up so far. I use SIS hydro tabs. Sounds like I could just take a 800ml bottle which would be than enough
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    try taking some water or cordial on your next ride instead of the tabs, to see if it still bloats you out

Matt
  • If you were properly hydrated before a 40 mile ride, I am willing to bet that drinking nothing at all would not make your pee dark by the time you finish, unless you were in a very hot place.

Try this experiment. When it's not really hot ( like now). On a day you are not riding drink two litres of water during the day. The next day drink 300ml of water half an hour before you ride. Then go for a ride. Do what you normally do.

if you still have the problem with dark pee go and see a doctor. :D
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    You should be drinking more than 2-3 big glasses of water/day (unless they're HUGE!). Try drinking 2 litres for normal daily activity then another 500ml to 1l for each hour of riding. Take in what you can during the ride then top up afterwards.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    matt-h wrote:
    try taking some water or cordial on your next ride instead of the tabs, to see if it still bloats you out

Matt

^^This is the good advice^^
    Your body really doesn't need any supplements/ tabs in your drink unless you maybe are racing hard over longer distances.
  • I've been using the same tabs for years (Zero) and found they helped prevent cramping afterwards. Recently, though, I've found they've started to disagree with me on rides. I don't know if they've changed or whether I have but I've started to take simple water again. The only downside is that I do feel like my muscles are on the point of cramping afterwards.

I think you need to make up your own mind about how much to drink. I sweat buckets as I too run hot but, on the same ride, I have friends who are shivering. I think a fair yardstick is 500ml an hour but I rarely manage that when others drink 800ml plus for the same ride.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH