Why I won't get a iPhone 6

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
Ok so I am aware this post may reveal some visceral and fiery rhetoric (nothing gets the blood boiling more than the Apple vs wars) but none the less I have highlighted the reasons why I am choose not to go down the IP6 route, I welcome others to chime in:

Ok so over the years largely due to my weak will power and cavalier approach to gadget shopping owned a plethora of smartphones on pretty much every big hitter OS out there (IOS / Android / WP7 / WP8 and Meego), in fact as we speak I am using a unashamedly Chinese Walsun Finder 5.5 - Bet you never heard of that !

I feel therefore that I am as much qualified to comment as any gadget reviewer on my opinions of the IP6. I would like to add that my opinions must be taken with a pinch of salt as I have not had any hands on with the IP6 so the below is from my experiences of other devices inc old IOS devices and the info gathered from the internet.

Anyway here are my reasons:

1. Price - At current prices people are expected to pay around £50 a month plus £100+ up front for a mid range IP6 leave off a IP6+, I get that someone invested into the Apple eco system does not want to change etc but that is simply too much - no matter how good a gadget is a phone is rarely worth paying £1300+ over 2 years for.

2. Spec - Ok Again I get that some people will say "its about the experience" but lets be honest WP8 and Android are as slick as IOS so I don't buy that argument - We are left therefore with Hardware and I am sorry we have waited 4 years effectively for the IP6 so to come out with a phone that falls short compared to the competition (spec wise) for Screen res & Brightness / Processing Power / Battery life is just not on. Lets not forget that my old HTC one which I got nearly 2 years ago has a Full HD display and faster processor.

3. The Hype - Bit of an odd one this but I really don't appreciate Apple advertising their stuff as cutting edge when it simply is not - They tout the epic thinness of the new iPhone yet my Huawei Ascend P6 is thinner (6.8mm) and I bought that 12 months ago for a fraction of the cost. Also Apple famously stated that the need to go bigger was not necessary and yet here we are with the latest ads going on about the revolutionary 4.7" screen. They can still advertise the pros of their stuff without trying to make out that they invented the idea!

Anyway I am sure there will be responses stating how wrong I am but I re-iterate the above is just MY opinion and I am keen to here other opinions for and against - Keep it clean tho !

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i will not be as i have no Need for it. and i still remember the old bricks of phone we used to have.

why if thinner better? more likely to Flex and fail.

why are phones getting bigger again? they are uncomfortable to carry, you have to becareful not to sit on them (rear pockect is the only suitable pocket)

the 5s is as big as i will be going. and that could be smaller.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I wont be getting one because it is just too big and too expensive.

I hated apple stuff until last Christmas when I relented and got the boy an Ipad Mini and myself an iphone 5c. I still hated it primarily for the difficulty putting media on (cant be dont without itunes - which is one of the worst tools I have ever used, can only sync with one computer for itunes without wiping the device first, mp3 cant be used as ringtones and all sorts of other hassles) and because there is only one way to do stuff - the apple way. Since then, rather than get the device to work the way I want, I have realigned my thinking to the apple way and that hatred has become simply dislike and occasional frustration with the media tranfer through itunes rubbish, which I have partly got around by using a third party video app which can download straight from my home server over the network.

Thing is, I hate android even more - although you can do anything you want with it, it is so muddled up and complicated and customisable and unstructured that it is really hard to work out how to do stuff and really confusing. Its like unix - great for the techno-geeks that want a complicated life, but I dont - I want simplicity.

Never used windows mobile but my favourite was actually Symbian - the simplicity of ios but with more flexibility and easy media management.
  • But it's a new iPhone...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Have finally gone back to an I phone after 2 years without one and it has made my like worse. Spent the last 6 months with a little Nokia that was indestructible, had a 10 day battery life and weighed very little. If i wanted to check my emails i could do it on the kindle.

I relented by getting a sim only contract and a second hand iphone 4 and the access to emails, facebook etc is a distraction. Just cant justify the price of an Iphone 6 when i pay about £15 a month on a rolling contract.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Your views on the Walsun Finder 5.5 would be appreciated
  • Well it's got a shit name for a start.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    I'm not fussed about the name, it's for the missus :lol::lol:
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Im a huge apple fan, mainly because the coding I do couldn't be done on a PC Laptop.

But... the IPX is outdated, usually by a couple of years at the time of design. the phones are poor when compared to others on the market, the cameras, processors, memory, upgradability, design and looks etc.

Will I get one ?

Absolutely, because all of this doesn't matter to Apple which is why they don't need to use top components, they can use cheap parts and charge top money simply because nothing comes close in terms of compatibility and ease of use within the Apple family.

For FaceTime and oem functions alone I have no alternative but to buy apple.
    Living MY dream.
  • mr_eddy
    The finder is a great phone, I was sceptical paying £50 for a 5.5" android phone but I am really impressed. The screen is nice and bright (Ok so its not HD but honestly unless you watch HD movies it makes little difference), The OS is responsive and the skin that is on top of the stock Android is very minor so its basically stock android.

The only negatives I would say is the RAM can get used up after a while (I just installed a free task killer that automatically free's up ram every so often) and the camera is not top notch but still fine for simple snaps. The headphone quality is poor so if you like listening to music I would suggest you get a Bluetooth headphone receiver (I had one already).

I bought a 16GB Micro SD Card at the same time for about £8 so storage is not a problem. They even give you a free battery not that the 2800Ma battery is not enough its good for 1.5 days.

Again its obviously not going to match the likes of a HTC M8 or a GS5 but for £50 its way better than any cheap 'branded' phones from the phone shops in the UK. Really happy with it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Having used both and Iphone and an Android phone, I really don't get it with Iphone love - frankly, they're vastly over-rated. And I find the OS hard to use compared to Android. Plus the whole 'locked in' nature of Apple products is frankly unpleasant.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mr_eddy
    I get what 'Ebola Bob' is saying, If you have Apple products already then integration between the devices is slick and whilst making a switch to either Windows or Android is of course doable (you can get the same integration with Android and Chrome or WP8 and Win 8) it would require possible further investment in a new laptop etc so I totally get why people will stick with IOS.

Thankfully (possibly unwisely however) I have a myriad of platforms from Win 7 Pro at work to Chromebook at home and Android in my pocket. I tend to keep my convergence requirements simple thus negating the need to even consider integration as an issue. I am also a big fan of having some specific devices for a specific job. Whist many phones can be considered to be a 'jack of all trades' this just means they are a master on none for example:

I still use a Sony MP3 player for all my music - The simple fact is that whilst I could do this easily via a smartphone I like the simple association of music = MP3 player. I charge it once a week !

Camera - Again I could use my phone and occasionally I do but no phone no matter how advanced will EVER be better than my SX120 Canon Compact and my EOS600d. Megapixels does not make up for a tiny sensor.
  • I pick mine up later today. I bought it because it works with all my other Apple gadgets but mainly because I liked the look of it...

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Neal1984 wrote:
    I pick mine up later today. I bought it because it works with all my other Apple gadgets but mainly because I liked the look of it...

But if you had gone for a top of the range Android phone you could have spent the extra £200 on 4 tonnes of manure!

People make such a drama about it, a few hundred pounds is nothing for me and probably 90% of this forum.

The interfaces are basically the same, I don't get really excited and have to go off and change my pants when I see a weather widget with a rain cloud on. My music is in both Play and iTunes, which took me about 10 minutes to do, I have my contacts set up on my Google account and my iphone syncs with that.

Anyone who is rabidly for or against any phone is just a drama llama.
  • frisbee wrote:
    Anyone who is rabidly for or against any phone is just a drama llama.

And thats the point. It's my money and I'll spend it how I see fit. Don't like it then it's their hangup!

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Why does cloud storage via apple cost 2x the equivalent service on Google/Windows - Apple is one big con trick. Did they release a new charger again?

I don't really see any benefit of iOS over Android unless you don't like to choose how to use your own device and install whatever apps you want on it.
  • Got mine today ...love it ! Been an Apple user for years and have all their devices
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    apreading if you use this app you can make a ring tone from any (AAC) tune in your i tunes library. MakeiPhoneRingtone https://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    cube1961 wrote:
    Got mine today ...love it ! Been an Apple user for years and have all their devices
    And the good news is that they love you in return.

Apple not for me but I do understand the appeal. However, your statement does smack of gullibility. Do you genuinely have all of them? Every phone, pad etc. Or do you mean mac x1, tablet x1 and phone x1? The former I just don't get unless you're a huge technophile with a large disposable income. Otherwise, that behaviour would just make you a sucker.
  • apreading
    FatTed wrote:
    apreading if you use this app you can make a ring tone from any (AAC) tune in your i tunes library. MakeiPhoneRingtone https://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

Thanks for that, but I dont have a Mac. I did find a utility when I wanted to create a ringtone for the missus a few months ago, but it really shouldnt be that much hassle - it shouldnt need an app, all other phones you can just select any media from the storage in most formats.
  • You can create ringtones on any mac or pc by setting the track length/part and converting it from m4a to m4r.

Instructions can be found by googling 'create ringtone for iPhone'.

As if to prove most folks' points copy/paste doesn't seem to be working on my iPad since the upgrade to ios8.

As an aside, to those calling folks gullible for having multiple apple devices, it just makes sense if you use one to use the others. Why have a different phone/interface for music if I have a ipod shuffle for use at the gym etc? FWIW I'm still using my 3 y/o 4s and won't buy an updated model unless it breaks, and then it will be bought outright, sim free, so will only cost about £600 which works out about 60p per day if it lasts another 3 years.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    type:epyt wrote:

As an aside, to those calling folks gullible for having multiple apple devices, it just makes sense if you use one to use the others.

I used the word gullible and did clarify my point. Having one of each type of device makes sense. The post I was replying to implied that the poster has purchased every Apple device. It's not clear but it reads iphone 1,2,3,4,5,6,7... ad infinitum in addition to every ipad etc. If money is genuinely no object, what the hell, but if you're making any sort of sacrifice to indulge that level of love for Apple, I stand by the word 'gullible' as being appropriate.
  • i have an i phone 5c, which i got after having had a htc desire, I don't really do anything with my i phone i didn't do with the htc, other than syncing it with i tunes where i have all my music as i have i pods for in car and training with. Not sure i will get the 6 as the reason i got a 5c and not a htc was because i found the htc too big, even the htc one mini is bigger than my 5c.
  • gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    havent used apple devices since the 3g and wont be bothering here for the simple fact my phone does FAR more than any current apple device. if apple were to provide the hardware/software capable of doing what i need i may be interested but not yet. as for integrating i have a mix of linux and windows at home and it all just works i plug the cable in and i can put music, videos, apps and even update the software without too much hassle on any pc.
    I rode what you dug last summer
  • Here's another reason:

"62 of the metals and metalloids are crucial to building smartphones as we know them today and not a single metallic ingredient has a substitute that could be called "just as good," and only 12 have substitutes that are as good as worse. In other words: no real, effective substitute at all. It is unlikely that substitution alone can solve potential supply restrictions for any of the metals on the periodic table."

In the future we will be mining landfill sites.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Nobody phones me on my £50 Nokia, I'm not spending 10x that to be ignored. :cry:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I don't understand iPhone fans. They queue for hours because the latest iPhone is so fantastic. Then sixth months later, their iPhone is so utterly crap that they'll queue for hours again to get the new latest iPhone.

If the old one was any good, either the new one isn't worth getting or Apple are managing to make improbably vast geniuine improvements with every generation. I can only assume that the iPhone 1 was probably a lump of coal.

Or the fanboys just deluded.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • apreading
    The follow the Windows model of: get your customers on older machines to upgrade to the latest Operating System, which will run like a dog on those older machines and make them go out and replace them with new machines that have the OS already installed and designed for them.

If they refuse to upgrade their older machines to the latest OS because they want them to keep running at the reasonable speed that they used to, then stop them from installing any new apps, update the apps they have so that the older versions of those stop working. So they have to choose between an OS that runs well on the device but has no software anymore or an OS which makes the device run like a dog so badly that they wont want the device anymore...
  • rolf_f
    apreading wrote:
    The follow the Windows model of: get your customers on older machines to upgrade to the latest Operating System, which will run like a dog on those older machines and make them go out and replace them with new machines that have the OS already installed and designed for them.

If they refuse to upgrade their older machines to the latest OS because they want them to keep running at the reasonable speed that they used to, then stop them from installing any new apps, update the apps they have so that the older versions of those stop working. So they have to choose between an OS that runs well on the device but has no software anymore or an OS which makes the device run like a dog so badly that they wont want the device anymore...

Which I also don't understand. Why would you support, and love a company that openly treats you like sh1t?
  • apreading
    same reason we vote for politicians at elections - they all treat you like sh1t, its just about who has the least bad smelling sh1t...!
  • rolf_f
    apreading wrote:
    same reason we vote for politicians at elections - they all treat you like sh1t, its just about who has the least bad smelling sh1t...!

But broadly speaking a) we know all the politicians treat us like sh1t and b) we get them whether we vote for them or not!