'Unrivalled' kit/equipment

Comments

• BR650 in the 57mm drop market? Admittedly, there isn't much competition.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Arundel bottle cage - in steel. Great design, holds the bottle nice and snug even when blasting over the cobbles etc.
  • In keeping with the OP...
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    Those things that just get suggested time and time again on the 'what to buy' threads, those things that just work.

...I think this is a very good list, although one for the tourers:
    MichaelW wrote:
    brooks 17 saddle
    MKS Sylvian pedals
    Sealskinz socks
    Velox rim tape
    Rema Tip Top p*ntcure repair kit
    SKS Chromoplastic mudguards
    tubus racks
    Ortleib/Carradice panniers
    Busch & Müller lamps
    Zefal HPX pump.
  • The two bottle cages suggested are what I'm talking about. Elite cages for an oversized tubing bike, Arundels for a steel bike. They just work!

The Buff buff is a great shout too.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus w.r.t. puncture protection
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Assos chamois cream
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    banditvic wrote:
    Shimano PD-M520 Pedals.

Unrivalled in terms of value for money, but not in terms of performance.

Performance? Not sure there is much tangible difference in performance between an M520 with a decent shoe and a pedal costing up to 5 times more. I actually use the M540s though because I think they look nicer :oops:

I would probably take Woolie Boollies off the list as they are just too thick and, IME, could only be used with a winter boot (as in one size bigger than usual). Great for padding around the house though.

Agree with a lot of the others mentioned though including Rema TT puncture kit, Shimano QRs (any of them really). I would also add Prendas Oversocks.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Not a piece of kit as such but fig rolls oh and the emergency fiver
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Only thing I can think of that I would really really like on any bike, BSA bottom bracket. That's after experience of BBright, OSBB, PF30 and Italian thread BB !!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Mccaria wrote:
    Only thing I can think of that I would really really like on any bike, BSA bottom bracket. That's after experience of BBright, OSBB, PF30 and Italian thread BB !!

If we're talking BBs

Royce titanium square taper bottom bracket - flipping expensive, but utterly indestructible.

Have one on the distance bike that's done 35000km without any worries.

Just about to press go on another for the new fixed wheel bike.

Of course, they won't work with new-fangled cranksets - but there are many fantastic square-taper cranksets out there still.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Anything made by Specialized.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DesWeller wrote:
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus w.r.t. puncture protection

It's supposed to be about unrivalled kit. You can achieve the same result as a Marathon Plus by filling any tyre you like with concrete.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Marathon Winters.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Prendas arm warmers. Simple, cheap and excellent.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Chris King anything
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Ber Nard wrote:
    Marathon Winters.

Unrivalled? Perhaps. Any good? Nope. At nearly 1kg each and only 120-odd studs (when they arrive - about 90 six weeks later...) they're pretty poor. They are comprehensively outclassed by Ice Spiker Pros (2/3rds the weight and 3x as many studs which stay put). But they're MTB tyres. I'd prefer to ride an MTB fitted with Spikers than a road/CX bike fitted with Marathon W***ers! In fact, that's exactly what I did - sold my CX bike and used my MTB for winter duties.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    Ber Nard wrote:
    Marathon Winters.

Unrivalled? Perhaps. Any good? Nope. At nearly 1kg each and only 120-odd studs (when they arrive - about 90 six weeks later...) they're pretty poor. They are comprehensively outclassed by Ice Spiker Pros (2/3rds the weight and 3x as many studs which stay put). But they're MTB tyres. I'd prefer to ride an MTB fitted with Spikers than a road/CX bike fitted with Marathon W***ers! In fact, that's exactly what I did - sold my CX bike and used my MTB for winter duties.

Different tyre for different purposes though. I'd probably be going for the Ice Spikers if I lived up where you do but on city roads where the snow is ploughed quickly Winters are going to be a good deal faster for all their faults.

Hark at me - defending a Schwalbe product with the word "Marathon" written on it! :lol:
  • Black Cinelli Bar Tape.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:
    Marathon Winters.

Different tyre for different purposes though. I'd probably be going for the Ice Spikers if I lived up where you do but on city roads where the snow is ploughed quickly Winters are going to be a good deal faster for all their faults.

Hark at me - defending a Schwalbe product with the word "Marathon" written on it! :lol:

Actually, I hardly came across snow at all. I only came off once on ice and that was with W***ers on the bike path in Inverness on my Boardman CX. The bike actually went under the front of a queueing car - baggered the mech hanger which took nearly a month to replace. The plus side of that issue was that I started to take the MTB. Firstly I realised that the MTB was as light as the CX once the tyres were fitted. Secondly I realised that the grip on any sort of ice was infinitely better on the Ice Spikers. My commute times were almost identical and I had total confidence in the grip. The only downside was if it was windy - the MTB position isn't as good. Fortunately sub-zero temps tend to by accompanied by reasonably still air.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Elite Custom Race bottle cages.

Cheap, good grip, easy entry/exit, light enough and available in many colors.
  • rolf_f
    krogort wrote:
    Elite Custom Race bottle cages.

Scuff up the bottles a lot, look a bit ugly and mine ejected a Podium on the descent of Wrynose! There's much better to be had.
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    SLK bottle cage ..... best ive ever tried :D
  • Dura Ace C24 wheelset. Best pound for pound wheelset on the market imo
  • Oakley Radarlocks (preferably vented)

Agree with the Elite Custom Race cages but it is true that they aren't very kind to your bottles.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Dura Ace C24 wheelset. Best pound for pound wheelset on the market imo
    http://www.justridingalong.com/wheels/i ... -rims.html

and, to be honest, I'd just build them with Archetype rims and save another load.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    The Woolie Boolie are equalled by the Rapha Winter socks, especially with discount in a three pack.

They really aren't.

I have 3 pairs, of each, they really are.

Would you like to come back? ;)

I concur. I have both the Rapha and Woolie Boolie and prefer the Rapha which I think a more comfortable than the Woolie Boolie.

P
  • Rohloff speedhub
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Rolf F wrote:
    krogort wrote:

Scuff up the bottles a lot, look a bit ugly and mine ejected a Podium on the descent of Wrynose! There's much better to be had.
    What do you recommend?
    The elite customs really do destroy bottles!
  • rolf_f
    rowlers wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    krogort wrote:

What do you recommend?
    The elite customs really do destroy bottles!

I swapped the Elites on my Ribble to Blackburn stainless steel! They are pretty good. Any cage will mark bottles on a wet ride as dirt gets onto the bottle and cage and then acts as sandpaper on the bottle - but the less contact between the cage and the bottle, the less off a mess the bottle ends up with. Some people might feel that the Blackburn cages don't suit a carbon bike - I like them. And they aren't expensive. Must be the stainless steel ones though.

Otherwise, Look carbon cages work well on my Look but they cost £40 each which is nuts!

P1000792_zps1c6bbe63.jpg