Cycling and other sport = overtraining?

Shtukka
Shtukka Posts: 59
Would appreciate some feedback from the forum on this situation.

I cycle 2-3 times a week, usually "all out", 15-30 miles each time. I also play rugby and either of football or Ultimate frisbee (it's about as much running as football) - and I do all these "all out", pushing myself as hard as I can most the time. I'm 35 and average height/build/weight. Monday and Friday usually have no sport. I'm frequently getting on the bike with some kind of "recovering" feeling in my legs, i.e. not painful or out and out stiff, but not fresh as a daisy.

My question is whether or not my other sports are hindering my progress as a cyclist. I had a particularly miserable experience riding back from seeing the ToB on Friday - my body felt knackered and I couldn't get above 60% maxHR compared to my usual 90%+. I really don't mind if the answer's yes as I love my other sports, but wanted to get some input as to whether or not I'm actually getting in my own way. The alternative is that I just need to MTFU.

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    2 or 3 25mile TTs per week - that equates to "all out" in the cycling sense.. yes you ( I would) would be falling over with fatigue in short order. However, I do doubt that you are riding to that intensity, so you are probably pushing your life style choices a bit too far.
    Back off a bit.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It also depends on your life style and diet. I have a potentially very stressful job that at its worse will negatively impact my road and mountain biking performance, most of the time it is fine. Eating enough of the right things helps a lot as well. I found as I got to 40 I would get slightly sore legs the day after a fast ride but if I drink a chocolate milkshake shortly after the ride I am fine the following day :)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I think its worth looking a diet too. We all have bad days where we wonder why we bothered going out, but I think cyclists often don't pay enough attention to fueling before and after events. Most of us think about fueling during the ride and pay little attention to post ride recovery nutrition etc.. The other thing that surprises me is how few cyclists stretch and cool down properly. You can't expect your body to function at its best if you don't look at the whole picture.
  • Only you can know if you are doing too much. As JGSI says what does all out really mean? I'm sure pro rugby or football takes it out of you - a hard 5 a side match might feel tough at the time but if you are fit shouldn't fatigue you for the next day. There are plenty of us here do (a lot) more than 60 miles on the bike and a couple of games of footy each week so that is not the issue but doing everything 100% intensity may be.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Shtukka wrote:
    Would appreciate some feedback from the forum on this situation.

I cycle 2-3 times a week, usually "all out", 15-30 miles each time. I also play rugby and either of football or Ultimate frisbee (it's about as much running as football) - and I do all these "all out", pushing myself as hard as I can most the time. I'm 35 and average height/build/weight. Monday and Friday usually have no sport. I'm frequently getting on the bike with some kind of "recovering" feeling in my legs, i.e. not painful or out and out stiff, but not fresh as a daisy.

My question is whether or not my other sports are hindering my progress as a cyclist. I had a particularly miserable experience riding back from seeing the ToB on Friday - my body felt knackered and I couldn't get above 60% maxHR compared to my usual 90%+. I really don't mind if the answer's yes as I love my other sports, but wanted to get some input as to whether or not I'm actually getting in my own way. The alternative is that I just need to MTFU.

Give it a go - as long as you are able to recover when you need to, then you can explore your limits!
  • It's simples.

When you not feeling so fresh, you start off slow and see if you feel better over a bit of time.

If not don't go too hard focus on other things enjoyment, spinning etc. It becomes a recovery ride

If yes proceed to put the hammer down.

Probably your looking at 3 rides in week. One after weekend recovery. One longer and one full gas.
    It's better to mix it up (not just grind yourself down)

Some times you have to go easy to get better. Read about it!.
  • Also attempt to get plenty of sleep. If you need an alarm clock to waken every day, then you are probably shorting yourself on needed rest for best recovery.

And the low(no) fat chocolate milk after an exercise session is very good for restoring needed carbs and protein. About 20 grams of protein is a good immediately after exercise amount, then after getting washed, etc. have a good meal.

Improvement comes during rest and recovery, exercise is the stimulus what makes the recovery necessary.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Thanks all - some great comments here.

I've cut back on the other sports for the past week and found I achieved much better results yesterday. Ended up doing 3 rides yesterday toalling 50 miles. Now need to rest and eat chocoloate, right? :-)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Have you tried getting more rest and sleep? :?
  • I would say I need more - hectic job and 3 (soon 4!) young kids make it pretty tough to find time to kip.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Shtukka wrote:
    I would say I need more - hectic job and 3 (soon 4!) young kids make it pretty tough to find time to kip.

All this, plus training is bound to add stress to your life. The idea that you need to rest as hard as you work, play, and train IS a valid point. There are only so many things you can ADD to the mix and maintain a semblance of sanity, energy, and desire.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I agree with all said however would add (and I'm a lot older than you) that your body 'adjusts' with age, you lose that natural fitness and it becomes hard work so you need to fuel up more. I do triathlon + marathon swimming and take Carbo Plus every morning, Creatine and then protein after exercise. Yes its easy to overtrain plus the pressure of life so you have to give your body a fighting chance and basic supplements will allow you to find the energy to train hard for many years to come. Enjoy.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • You say that you have two full days off a week? I would suggest that you are not doing too much. Your cycling volume in particular sounds pretty moderate.

I presume you mean over-training rather than Overtraining Syndrome?

http://www.philmaffetone.com/the-overtraining-syndrome