Iraq Mk 3 (plus Syria)

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited October 2014 in The cake stop
The eyes of the world will now be on Saudi Arabia and Qatar. The west knows they are funding ISIS. And Saudi and Qatar know that the West knows that they are funding ISIS. What are our so called Arab allies going to do. Such a massive problem for them. Do they turn their backs on their muslim brothers? or do they side with the west in what will be viewed as another anti muslim conflict. There are millions of people in the region who actually want an Islamic State. This is going to get very very big and very very messy. And it is bound to spread to the streets of Europe, USA and Oz.
And lets not forget that after this ISIS episode that is bound to last for half dozen to ten years, there will be one big player in the region who was not invited to the party but will still be present. Iran.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I preferred the Mk3 Golf or was gulf I can't remember...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Take your tinfoil hat off.

Saudis and Qataris are not funding Isis.
  • Saudi's, in particular, have been funding the Sunnis in that part of the world. They were doing it, however, expecting to assure their co-religionists security, not unleash the Apocalypse.

In a slightly perverse way I find it reassuring that, despite the West being accused of creating most of this sh1tstorm through their incompetence, the Arabs don't seem to be must better at it when they try.
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    The eyes of the world will now be on Saudi Arabia and Qatar. The west knows they are funding ISIS. And Saudi and Qatar know that the West knows that they are funding ISIS. What are our so called Arab allies going to do. Such a massive problem for them. Do they turn their backs on their muslim brothers? or do they side with the west in what will be viewed as another anti muslim conflict. There are millions of people in the region who actually want an Islamic State. This is going to get very very big and very very messy. And it is bound to spread to the streets of Europe, USA and Oz.
    And lets not forget that after this ISIS episode that is bound to last for half dozen to ten years, there will be one big player in the region who was not invited to the party but will still be present. Iran.

not keen on them brown fellers, are yer?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    Not when those cnuts are beheading innocent folk who are out there trying to help those less fortunate...
    Carpet bomb the feckers I say!
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I was gutted when Rigoberto pulled out of the Vuelta, lets hope Uran gets an invite to the party next year or all hell will break loose.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Yeah let's bomb them into the Stone Age. Isn't it election season soon, just about time for a bit of foreigner bashing.
  • ukiboy
    Not quite foreigner bashing and I couldn't give a stuff about election time... These feckers just need some medicine. They don't understand any other dialogue so a laser guided bomb into their nest of vipers is the ideal solution :D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    I washed my laundry in Formil Non-bio with added conditioner. I don't think it gets as good results as soap powder + conditioner.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mr_goo

Err. Yes they are. On radio today, experts in Middle Eastern affairs stating the facts. Saudi and Qatar are/were payroll for ISIS.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • ukiboy
    Me neither.. The Fall Guy did though! Quality theme tune!
  • ukiboy
    CHiPs that is.. Cool KZ1000 steeds and John and Ponch took no crap from Islamic fundamentalist 8)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Mr Goo wrote:

Err. Yes they are. On radio today, experts in Middle Eastern affairs stating the facts. Saudi and Qatar are/were payroll for ISIS.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/s ... -coalition

And there are many more like it. https://www.google.co.uk/m/search?q=sau ... d=0CCMQkSU
  • mr_goo
    nathancom wrote:
    Yeah let's bomb them into the Stone Age. Isn't it election season soon, just about time for a bit of foreigner bashing.

I understand your line of thought Nathan. I don't think this is the time for rash acts. There is an objective and that has to be getting rid of ISIS/IS (whatever acronym). But what is the strategy or strategies to achieve it?
    That has been the historic balls up of Iraq and Afghanistan, an objective but no strategy nor thought for what is left. The reports in the news are stating that special ops' teams are in the area is not good news. To my mind they could be the pre-cursor to another coalition ground offensive. Dropping bombs will cause more collateral damage than good (see Israel). So I am very interested to see the strategies played out.

Why has it taken the deaths of 3 innocent Westerners for the powers that be to get into gear and have a military objective. Thousands of Syrians and Iraqis have been murdered and all that was sent were aid packages. What has really changed? I cannot believe that Western governments would want to become embroiled in another Middle Eastern conflict unless there was a real threat outside of that area.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,539
    Have there been posts deleted on this thread or has it just turned surreal?
  • pinno
    Do dee doo doo do de doo doo..."Picture a man going on a journey beyond the realms of reality, he's entering the Bike forum"... do dee doo doo do de doo doo...
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    3rd time lucky. I say we should go for it, afterall, what could possibly go wrong.
  • MichaelW wrote:
    3rd time lucky. I say we should go for it, afterall, what could possibly go wrong.

I've spent my summer holidays in Iraq enough times thank you!!
  • mr_goo
    Les Frogs got in the action today, bombing an ISIS logistics base! Killing dozens.
    This does not deserve any round of applause in my books. If the objective is to destroy the organisation then picking off a couple of dozen at a time from a contingent of approx 30,000 will do nothing. The vacancies will be filled pretty quickly and any civilian collateral damage will only serve to swell their ranks.
  • pinno
    ISIS are supposed to have billions ($2 some say). Money doesn't get shifted around in back pockets, it requires bank accounts and money launderers. I bet that there are arms dealers supplying ISIS from some hotel room in Belguim (Nous fumer le memes tabac). There needs to be international pressure on those in the Global banking industry who are party to this.
    The Swiss need to open up a lot. How many despots and dictators from Marcos Aquino to Robert Mugabe have they supported by allowing them to bank in private bank accounts?
    If you cut off the financial backing and supply, they would fizzle out in an instant.
  • mr_goo
    Gotta laugh. Putin claims that the US led bombing of IS/ISIS in Syria was a violation of Syrian Sovereignty. This from the patron saint of territorial integrity.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Les Frogs got in the action today, bombing an ISIS logistics base! Killing dozens. . . .

With my tinfoil hat firmly in place, I suspect that the French part of this operation is at least partly driven by their desire to showcase their shiny new Rafale jets to potential customers in the Middle East. UAE and Qatar are shopping for new planes at the moment.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • pinno
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Les Frogs got in the action today, bombing an ISIS logistics base! Killing dozens. . . .

With my tinfoil hat firmly in place, I suspect that the French part of this operation is at least partly driven by their desire to showcase their shiny new Rafale jets to potential customers in the Middle East. UAE and Qatar are shopping for new planes at the moment.

With little major conflict abroad recently, the US arms manufacturers must be putting pressure on the Senate for more orders.
  • mr_goo
    British Jihadi teenager dies in latest US led air strikes near Alepo in Syria. His mum claims he was just a normal boy!

Err. Normal teenage boys, do sports, play CoD on Xbox/PS, study, go to cinema etc, etc. They don't trot off to go play with real guns in the desert. Unless they join a proper army.

http://news.sky.com/story/1341785/brit-jihadi-reportedly-dies-in-syria-airstrikes
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mr Goo wrote:
    British Jihadi teenager dies in latest US led air strikes near Alepo in Syria. His mum claims he was just a normal boy!

Err. Normal teenage boys, do sports, play CoD on Xbox/PS, study, go to cinema etc, etc. They don't trot off to go play with real guns in the desert. Unless they join a proper army.

http://news.sky.com/story/1341785/brit-jihadi-reportedly-dies-in-syria-airstrikes

She's hardly likely to come out and admit he was some sort of terrorist was she :wink:

These people must have an inkling what their children are up to surely :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Gotta laugh. Putin claims that the US led bombing of IS/ISIS in Syria was a violation of Syrian Sovereignty. This from the patron saint of territorial integrity.

I would imagine that here lyes the strongest threat to global peace.
    WW3 has already started, I would expect as many deaths as the world had in WW1 and WW2 combined.
    It already totals millions in the past few years alone.
    Living MY dream.
  • mr_goo
    VTech wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

WW3 has already started, I would expect as many deaths as the world had in WW1 and WW2 combined.

Well that's cheered me no end.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    VTech wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

I'm in no way belittling anything that's happened in the Middle East over the last few years but I really don't think it can be compared to the events of WWI and WWII, these were wars the like of which had never been seen before and hopefully will never be again.

The events that seem to continually unfold in the Middle East are shocking and barbaric but for me personally the events of the last Iraq war lead me to feel rather apprehensive about any involvement we might have this time around.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

She's hardly likely to come out and admit he was some sort of terrorist was she :wink:

These people must have an inkling what their children are up to surely :roll:

the article goes on to say she knew exactly his feelings and that the family had involved the local imams etc.
    as for her anger at the UKBA, they have no idea who goes in or out of our country :oops:

vetch - I think you are abit over the top with WW3 analogy and the numbers killed - there has been no significant western loss of life and in this, that is all that matters :roll:

Don't forget that had we taken Putins stand over Syria, IS wouldn't exist now, the Syrian civil war would have been crushed, before it took hold and we d have never gone into Iraq all those years ago.
    I remember reading an article on the Russian and Chinese reasons for all those UN veto's and the main reason was "better the devil you know" that war will bring extremists from all over the world into this region, and at this time, Iraq Syria needs dictators to hold these countries together.
    We didn't listen, citing "democracy" and look at where we are?
    can anyone say that the region or the world is a safer place now? how many innocent Iraqi and Syrian lives have been lost? l
    et alone the cost to the wests economy and the loss and injury of allied service men and women? and for what?
  • ukiboy wrote:
    Not when those cnuts are beheading innocent folk who are out there trying to help those less fortunate...
    Carpet bomb the feckers I say!

IS don't have the monoply on beheading, it seems to be a Middle Eastern speciality. Saudi Arabia for example have beheaded 45 people this year, most of them migrant workers who don't speak the language and don't understand the arcane (and often unwritten) laws they are accused of breaking. One example last year was a 16 year old Sri Lankan girl illegally smuggled into the Country and working as a maid. Of course the West don't make a big deal over these executions as it would sour relations.