Garmin newbie advice needed

sacredhart
sacredhart Posts: 95
edited September 2014 in Training, fitness and health
Hi
I just got my first Garmin, a second hand 705.
I am planning to use it to record my weekend rides + use the HRM/ virtual training partner on eening rides to train.

First question is does anyone have a link to some training sessions I could do in the evening using the HRM.

Second is what is the best software to upload the Garmin data to as I have read the Garmin software is shit. Can I upload to something else or do I have to go via Garmin.

Total newb so apologies for the basic questions.

Comments

• Garmin software is pretty good IMHO
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I've only had an Edge 800 for a few months so not an expert. I've found Garmin Connect software okay and even the new interface that everyone has been complaining about. I guess it's a question of what you have been used to. I think Strava is an alternative if you want to investigate using that.

I have found setting up my own training workouts using Garmin Connect to be pretty simple. I just do 2x20 workouts and a HIIT workout with 10 minute warmup/cooldown and 10x20:40 sprint/recovery intervals. For the rest of my rides I just use the Garmin to log the ride rather than riding to any specific training plan. You can also use the Garmin Virtual Partner on your solo training rides.
  • So if I want to do a workout using the Garmin, can I dip into this mid ride?

I normaly ride from my house to a park in town. This goes through traffic so I wouldnt want to be doing the training session at that point but it would be nice to record the whole ride. If I go into the settings and start the training session once I am at the park will it record my ride to and from the park too?
  • Use the lap function.

Start your garmin from home, then press lap (so it records that part) your garmin will record your training session as a lap, then if you want to record the journey home from the park (or anywhere) press lap again.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • OK next questions.

If I download a map to follow from interweb do I store it in the GPX file or courses file on the Garmin?

If I download a route that starts a way away from my house what is the best way to navigate to the start so I can follow the route? Will the Garmin record the whole ride from start to finish (cycling to the start of route + then loading up/ following the route?)

Your help is much appreciated cheers
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    sacredhart wrote:
    OK next questions.

If I download a map to follow from interweb do I store it in the GPX file or courses file on the Garmin?
    You put all new files in the NewFiles folder. When you turn on the Garmin it puts the new file in the correct place. If you don't do this it won't know you have put a new file on the unit.
    sacredhart wrote:
    If I download a route that starts a way away from my house what is the best way to navigate to the start so I can follow the route? Will the Garmin record the whole ride from start to finish (cycling to the start of route + then loading up/ following the route?)
    You should be asked if you want the device to navigate you to the start of the route. As long as you press start when you start riding and stop at the end the device will record everything.
  • I don't have a 'New Files' folder...

This is what I have:
    http://s130.photobucket.com/user/thejb1 ... sort=3&o=0
  • I think I found the answer.

Thanks for your advice everyone.