GPS Computer

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Was planning on doing 1-2 advertised rides, and was wondering if there such a thing as a low cost GPS computer for turn-by-turn directions. The units seems quite costly, I do have an iPhone but not sure the battery would last and not sure I really want to mount that to my handlebar.

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The Garmin 200 does. There is a bread crumb trail on screen with arrows to follow and its beeps when you need to turn or accidently make a wrong turn. You can find them used for around £60. i have one and the battery lasts quite a while.
  • jpower
    Will this also allow you to load maps from advertised rides?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    As long as the file is gpx or tcx. Then yes, but you will not be able to see the map. Only the bread crumb trail.
  • jpower
    Thinking about this a bit more, I believe I can upload these files to iPhone apps such as mapmyride, thinking for the few times I am going to use it, cheaper for me just buy a portable backup battery and use the iPhone.
  • jpower
    Can anyone recommend a holder, fully covered, for road bike. Nice if there room behind to fit a backup charger, but not one of those large pouch bags, will try and get a flat backup battery.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You really should think twice about using a smart phone as your gps device. It's probably going to be more expensive than a dedicated device so in the event of a crash or falling off your bike, you're more than likely going to have to replace it. It won't withstand the weather as well as a dedicated device. The gps positioning isn't going to be as accurate as a dedicated device. In an emergency you want to be able to use your phone and not find it has run the battery down more than you anticipated.

Second hand devices can be had for not much money and there's nothing wrong with the older generation Garmin 500 and 705.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • jpower
    I'm starting to side with Dedicated device, even second hand the prices seem so close to a new model with a discount code. I would be happy with a £100 tag my main feature is for navigation the rest is a bonus, good bonus.
  • jpower
    Ok the garmin 705 seems a more reasonable second hand price point, can I load ride maps onto it for organized rides that have maps available? Also will it load stats to mapmyride and strava? If it does all that I may have found what I need :-)

Any other models at that price point to consider?
  • StillGoing
    jpower wrote:
    Ok the garmin 705 seems a more reasonable second hand price point, can I load ride maps onto it for organized rides that have maps available? Also will it load stats to mapmyride and strava? If it does all that I may have found what I need :-)

Any other models at that price point to consider?

The 705 will do all of that. You can create routes using Strava, Garmin Connect or any other site that is compatible for Gpx, Gps and Tcx routes and download them to the device. You can then use them as a course or route with turn by turn prompts including any routes that you download from organised events or from other users of Strava etc. It will also measure your speed, elevation, heart rate and cadence.

There's nothing wrong with the 705 as a dedicated device. It obviously won't look as modern as newer devices but the one I had before upgrading to the 810 performed every bit as well as my ride buddies 800.
  • jpower
    Still shocking prices on 705. Any chance you haven't sold yours yet :-)

Might have to go down to a 200 just fear the mapping won't be as clear.
  • StillGoing
    They're still not a throw away item because they still work, albeit without the bells and whistles of the 800/810/1000.

I sold mine complete with maps for £100 about 18 months ago so somebody got a bargain.

Try the Handtec site where they sell off old stock for all models returned from retailers.
  • jpower wrote:
    Still shocking prices on 705. Any chance you haven't sold yours yet :-)

Might have to go down to a 200 just fear the mapping won't be as clear.

I've always found the bread crumb trail to be more than adequate. Unless you arrive at spaghetti junction it is very clear where you need to go. If you happen to not be looking at it when you should have turned within 10 yards it'll be beeping at you to tell you you are off course.

I thought it might be crap before I bought it but honestly I think turn by turn is overkill.
  • jpower
    Yikes the sensible part of me is saying 200, or second hand 705 sub £100, and the gadget freak in me is saying 510.

How robust is the 705 unit, have one potential its a little banged up but claimed to be working fine, certainly looks like its been used a fair amount.

Wallet vs Head battles continues.
  • Look at non cycling specific devices such as the etrex 20, dakota 20 and the older etrex legend and vista hcx devices, all can load maps and are more useful for navigation than the edge devices though a little bulkier.
  • jpower
    freezing77 wrote:
    Look at non cycling specific devices such as the etrex 20, dakota 20 and the older etrex legend and vista hcx devices, all can load maps and are more useful for navigation than the edge devices though a little bulkier.
    Is this a money saving option or just a better nav system? I ask because the price is very similar to garmin edge devices.
  • jpower wrote:
    freezing77 wrote:
    Look at non cycling specific devices such as the etrex 20, dakota 20 and the older etrex legend and vista hcx devices, all can load maps and are more useful for navigation than the edge devices though a little bulkier.
    Is this a money saving option or just a better nav system? I ask because the price is very similar to garmin edge devices.

Both

http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-etrex-20-noh-01n-00970-10.html
  • +1 Garmin 200. I've had mine for 3 years, it's great for day to day local rides and once the data is uploaded to Garmin Connect or Strava offers a wealth of information.
    I also rely on it to guide me round sportives and unfamiliar routes using the bread crumb trail facility. If you are not sure how that works, here goes. You upload a route to your device( this can be a GPX file or a route that you have created yourself on the Garmin website.) Before you set off select the course you want to follow. The screen will then show your current position as a dot on the middle of the screen, the course will be a wavy line across the screen. So simply keep the dot on the line, if you take a wrong turn the line will move away from the dot in the middle of the screen.
    That may sound quite low tech compared to the sat- nav wannabes that are higher up in the GPS food chain, but it is quite effective at guiding you through a pre prepared route.
    I've used my 200 for over 10 hours and still had over half charge remaining.
  • jpower
    Thanks for that and yes this breadcrumb navigation was concerning me, after watching some video of nav in action on 200, 510, 810 I think the 200 will do the job I need, not to mention most routes will be familiar so the nav function is needed less often. The less data gathered by 200 not a biggie it's got enough for me, I'm never lowly to be a pro analysing that deeply. And to mention it's fits the wallet a lot better plus I can sell my spec turbo computer hopefully funding part of the purchase.

Thanks all for the great advice, will hunt about to save me a few more £'s before ordering.
  • jpower wrote:
    Thanks for that and yes this breadcrumb navigation was concerning me, after watching some video of nav in action on 200, 510, 810 I think the 200 will do the job I need, not to mention most routes will be familiar so the nav function is needed less often. The less data gathered by 200 not a biggie it's got enough for me, I'm never lowly to be a pro analysing that deeply. And to mention it's fits the wallet a lot better plus I can sell my spec turbo computer hopefully funding part of the purchase.

Thanks all for the great advice, will hunt about to save me a few more £'s before ordering.

Here is a good guide on the edge 200 and how to get turn by turn directions.

http://velogps.com/garmin-edge-200-turn-by-turn-directions/

Edge-200-TBT-8.jpg
  • jpower
    Ha ha, this must have been the video I saw on youtube, though it was standard, so I take it the Garmin Connect mapping tool doesn't allow to enter these waypoints?

The plan is to map out my normal training route and get use to how it works, as I know where I am going anyway, before using it on foreign routes. But as I will have a fully charged phone to lookup maps etc, feels a bit better.

Now if I wasn't such a cheapskate I would have ordered one already :-)
  • I've ordered myself a Garmin 200 because of this thread. £70 new on eBay.
  • jpower
    ben----- wrote:
    I've ordered myself a Garmin 200 because of this thread. £70 new on eBay.
    I'm gonna get on to garmin and ask for my commission.
  • jpower
    It's over, got a very reasonably priced 705 on its way from a member of this forum, sorted.
  • jpower
    705 arrived today. Question so do the majority just tie clip the mount to the stem?

Need something for a second bike too, so wondering what to get, just another one of those clips?
  • StillGoing
    Yes just use plasti-ties to attach the clip. Get yourself a second sensor for the other bike then all you need do is select the profile and switch the device over.
  • jpower
    second sensor? I don't have any kind of sensor with this one, just the unit and charger.

What all bits are there, hard to lookup as its older unit.
  • jpower wrote:
    second sensor? I don't have any kind of sensor with this one, just the unit and charger.

What all bits are there, hard to lookup as its older unit.

Generally the units do not come with additional sensors such as speed/cadence sensor (gsc10) or a HRM.

The unit will calculate speed without the additional wheel sensor but this is said to improve accuracy.

Sensor on chainstay.

8708233794_764fccc229_c.jpg

Edge 605/705 Owner’s Manual

This section describes accessories
    that are compatible with the
    Edge
    705:
    Heart rate monitor
    GSC 10 speed and cadence sensor
    Power meter
  • jpower
    OK had a decent mess around, got connect account, setup the 705, created a couple of courses and loaded them, entered profiles.

I have a Polar H7 (Ant+) HRM strap already, have turned on HRM in the 705, the icon appears and got it showing red and fray heart beat icon, but see nothing on data on the screen, any thoughts?

Think I might have to get me one of those GSC 10's for road bike and think second bike will just leave to GPS as thats going to get quite expensive as the GSC 10 is £30-35
  • rane
    rane Posts: 25
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
    Columbus Gara (Fun old School bike)
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    jpower wrote:
    OK had a decent mess around, got connect account, setup the 705, created a couple of courses and loaded them, entered profiles.

I have a Polar H7 (Ant+) HRM strap already, have turned on HRM in the 705, the icon appears and got it showing red and fray heart beat icon, but see nothing on data on the screen, any thoughts?

Think I might have to get me one of those GSC 10's for road bike and think second bike will just leave to GPS as thats going to get quite expensive as the GSC 10 is £30-35
    Polar kit is not ANT+ so that is why it is not working. The H7 strap uses Bluetooth. Decathlon do a speed/cadence sensor that is cheaper than the Garmin one and works fine.