Valentin Iglinsky done for EPO

2»

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    We do but if used in small enough amounts but often enough to benefit whilst training then regular testing will not pick this up as it will have cleared the system (unless tested right at the point of taking as it's out of the system pretty quickly). The profiling does work but if your clever you can mask this as being an improvement during training blocks where you would expect performance to increase accordingly

Yes, but this is where you need proper support to keep track of your blood. IF the management aren't buying it, it's going to be very difficult. I'd like to think the institutional doping has gone from (the great majority of) top level teams, and things are getting better.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Like I keep saying, I'm convinced there is plenty of doping still going on. It's almost impossible to get caught with the right medical advisers, and the testing methodology is fundamentally flawed in several aspects, although the recent co-ordination at The Tour was a step in the right direction.

As mentioned, the most effective drug, EPO, can be taken in the evening and be out of the system by the morning. The number of blood tests taken is tiny, about 1 per annum per professional rider on average (1,224 blood tests across 1,300 pro cyclists). 7,322 tests for EPO, and for anyone microdosing who takes it at night and it's gone by the 7am the next morning, this is pointless. However, it has caught a few dullards like the above despite this!

The passport allows for topping up of blood values to anyone in the know.

Really, anyone can see from the figures above that there is a tiny, tiny probability that dopers will ever get caught. Until this is fixed, it's not going to change because someone will always cheat and everyone else has to to keep up.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ^^^ I think your EPO detection windows are a little out of date. It's longer now. They were talking about a new test last year which can detect a microdose for at least three days after.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    We do but if used in small enough amounts but often enough to benefit whilst training then regular testing will not pick this up as it will have cleared the system (unless tested right at the point of taking as it's out of the system pretty quickly). The profiling does work but if your clever you can mask this as being an improvement during training blocks where you would expect performance to increase accordingly

Yes, but this is where you need proper support to keep track of your blood. IF the management aren't buying it, it's going to be very difficult. I'd like to think the institutional doping has gone from (the great majority of) top level teams, and things are getting better.

Agree & partly disagree.

It's not difficult as it stays in your system for such a short period of time & whilst not racing pro's only need to give their whereabouts for 1 hour a day. So would be quite easy to organise 47 hour period with no testing and train with EPO in the system. Little in the way of support needed these days unfortunately.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    ^^^ I think your EPO detection windows are a little out of date. It's longer now. They were talking about a new test last year which can detect a microdose for at least three days after.

Not sure that new test is in operation yet. It was mooted in the spring of this year as able to catch larger doses.
  • joelsim
    There is also talk about Andy Schleck's passport at the moment too.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Not sure that new test is in operation yet. It was mooted in the spring of this year as able to catch larger doses.
    No it was reported last year for microdoses. And even then what you think are the windows are long out of date. But if it helps you to rationalise your cynicism then stick with.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Mad_Malx wrote:

It's not difficult as it stays in your system for such a short period of time & whilst not racing pro's only need to give their whereabouts for 1 hour a day. So would be quite easy to organise 47 hour period with no testing and train with EPO in the system.

Have we had anti-doping authorities basically confirm that they use targeted testing? I imagine that sort of thing would ring all sorts of alarm bells.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Yes UCI have recently reported on the 2014 TDF that they were using targeted testing.

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/tour-fr ... t-results/
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • RichN95.
    Of course they target test. Look at Rabottini. Tested in week leading up to the biggest race on his schedule since the Giro in which he comes. I doubt that was a coincidence. He was probably on watch list.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yeah, they do blood tests mid race. Plenty of them. Well, mid-stage race at least - I don't think they test them at the feed zone.

French champions' naughty stools are targeted mid-Tour stage.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Of course they target test. Look at Rabottini. Tested in week leading up to the biggest race on his schedule since the Giro in which he comes. I doubt that was a coincidence. He was probably on watch list.

Indeed. My post was meant to read, "Haven't we had...". Was taking issue with the suggestion that riders could use the whereabouts rules to give themselves a 47h window without causing all sorts of eyebrow raising.

Eyebrow raising being the primary method of catching cheats these days.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • joelsim
    There were the main 3 Tour contenders training in Teneriffraff and no testers a couple of months' back.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Joelsim wrote:
    There were the main 3 Tour contenders training in Teneriffraff and no testers a couple of months' back.

God! They kept that quiet.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

God! They kept that quiet.

I just feel worse for Wiggins now
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Iglinsky just got a 4 year ban.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
    # 26 by Valentin Iglinskiy on September 12, 2014, 4:00 :
    I apologize to all members of all teams masseurs mechanics, I made the stupid mistake of life, it was my own fault, I am very ashamed, I apologize to my wife my sons, my friends of my beloved brother Maxim, I am very ashamed of it all, I'm sorry Alexander Vinokourov who believed in me! not met the expectations, I am very ashamed

Always makes me feel sad for the little guys for some reason :(
  • Never makes me feel sad, can't do the time don't do the crime.
  • Never makes me feel sad, can't do the time don't do the crime.

You are right of course. But I have never had to make that choice. It can't be easy otherwise otherwise nobody or everybody would do it.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Why four years? Does he have previous?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Timoid. wrote:
    Why four years? Does he have previous?

New WADA code calls for four years for serious offences, but not sure when the new code takes effect.