Valentin Iglinsky done for EPO

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2014 in Pro race
http://proteam-astana.com/2014/09/10/va ... statement/

Admits it without Vino resorting to rubber hoses against the soles of his feet
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• They really will never change, that team.
  • Colour me surprised.
    One of Astana's least successful riders on EPO.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Was googling him and came across this rather odd story...
    11.10.2013 @ 13:10 Posted by Emil Axelgaard
    According to the magazine Kurviz, Valentin Iglinskiy will rejoin the Astana team next year following a one-year stint at Ag2r. Team manager Alexandre Vinokourov promised his brother Maxim to sign his brother as a reward for his win in Sunday's Tour of Almaty.

The career of Kazakh sprinter Valentin Iglinskiy appears to have been saved by his more famous brother, former Liege-Bastogne-Liege winner Maxim. According to Kerviz, the latter made a deal with Astana team manager Alexandre Vinokourov to sign Valentin if Maxim would win the inaugural edition of their home race Tour of Almaty on Sunday.

Whether it was due to the possible signing of his brother is unknown but Iglinskiy rode a splendid race to take a solo win, 30 seconds ahead of Bardiani sprinter Sonny Colbrelli. That win may now allow Valentin to race another year at the highest level.

For many years, Valentin was a talented sprinter who took numerous sprint wins on the Asia Tour calendar until signing a contract with Astana for the 2014 season. While he failed to make an impact in the European races, he continued his strong showing in Asia and so had plenty of UCI points when his contract expired at the end of last season.

Ag2r was in desperate need of such points to keep their ProTeam license and so they decided to sign the Kazakh sprinter. However, he had a disappointing year and apart from the Kazakh road race championships, he failed to post a single top 10 result.

That led his French employer to take the decision not to renew his contract and his career appeared to be in limbo. If the report is confirmed, that uncertainty may now have been brought to an end by his brother Maxim.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    I've never forgiven his brother for winning L-B-L when I had failed to back him @ 150/1 in spite of having on my bet slip at one point. On those grounds, happy to see him burn.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Is it safe to assume his brother is on the gear as well? I quite like Iglinsky M and the photos from his LBL win are brilliant.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Does make you wonder another bad apple out though

By bad apple I just mean for taking drugs and I'm glad he has been caught out and banned, just don't want another one of those drawn out dugs threads again, know we've had plenty of those of late.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Cillian Kelly @irishpeloton · 14h

Trying to imagine the management meeting where ALEXANDER VINOKOUROV tells one of his riders that he's fired because he doped.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Cillian Kelly @irishpeloton · 14h

Trying to imagine the management meeting where ALEXANDER VINOKOUROV tells one of his riders that he's fired because he doped.
    Would it be any more ridiculous than being sacked by Vaughters? Or any worse than being suspended by the MPCC(who have a fair few people with pasts on the management committee - including Vino's first DS)?

I know Vino is a good bogeyman and he didn't dance to the media's tune when caught, but does that mean that he is compelled to continue down the doping path for ever more?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Is it safe to assume his brother is on the gear as well? I quite like Iglinsky M and the photos from his LBL win are brilliant.

No, of course it isn't.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    The first guy you see on the Astana rider page is........

iglinskiy-astana-pro-team-2014-0749.jpg
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    So Tinkoff was wrong the other day when he said there was no more doping in cycling. Shock.

I'm glad he's been caught and glad he's admitted it without the merry go round of "I'm innocent!!" followed by "OK, I'm not that innocent"

Wish all cases were as straight forward
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    inseine wrote:

It's the camel-toe issue at Astana that they need to address as much as the doping

vincenzo-nibali-podium.jpg?itok=kdnqF3Za

NIBALI%20ST2%20TDF%2006-07-2014%20MAILLOT%20JAUNE%20PODIUM%20(bettiniphoto_0180350_1_full).jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    inseine wrote:

It's the camel-toe issue at Astana that they need to address as much as the doping

vincenzo-nibali-podium.jpg?itok=kdnqF3Za

NIBALI%20ST2%20TDF%2006-07-2014%20MAILLOT%20JAUNE%20PODIUM%20(bettiniphoto_0180350_1_full).jpg
    what has been seen can never be unseen! glad I finished my lunch OCDuPalais :wink:
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'm shocked.
  • joelsim
    Just out of interest, is there anyone here who thinks Piti and Bertie aren't on the juice?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Joelsim wrote:
    Just out of interest, is there anyone here who thinks Piti and Bertie aren't on the juice?

Me.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    It's quite possible. I saw a fully juiced up Valverde beat Armstrong, Rasmussen and Basso up Corcheval in 2005. He would have beaten every rider I have seen since on that form. But I haven't seen that rider since Puerto
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I'd like to think not, you would think none of the top guys would be stupid enough...
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I'd like to think not, you would think none of the top guys would be stupid enough...

For someone like Valverde if [probability of being caught x salary losses] < [marginal extra moolah gained in new contract due to doping] it's perfectly rational and not stupid at all.

For Valv. there are no reputational issues that might affect future earnings I guess. Already-caught dopers probably have a greater incentive than 'clean' riders.

See Justin Gatlin, 9.77s last week

Strava is not Zen.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    calvjones wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

For someone like Valverde if [probability of being caught x salary losses] < [marginal extra moolah gained in new contract due to doping] it's perfectly rational and not stupid at all.

For Valv. there are no reputational issues that might affect future earnings I guess. Already-caught dopers probably have a greater incentive than 'clean' riders.

See Justin Gatlin, 9.77s last week

Valverde losing to 'Pernot' at the Tour doesn't seem comparable to a 9.77s 100m.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    No, I'm not saying he's doping, just that if he did, it wouldn't be indicative of stupidity. I don't think he is, much.

Strava is not Zen.
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    It's quite possible. I saw a fully juiced up Valverde beat Armstrong, Rasmussen and Basso up Corcheval in 2005. He would have beaten every rider I have seen since on that form. But I haven't seen that rider since Puerto

I understand that fully juiced up isn't realistic any more, but a bit of juice here and there is.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Surely 'a bit here and there' will show up more in the passport than consistent doping at a lower level? I get nervous of riders who perform well throughout the season but other than that there's nothing to make me feel overly suspicious. As for Bertie, he's in decent form (especially after the injury) but it's still nothing like it was a few years ago. He's leading by a couple of minutes over Froome who is clearly not in the form of last year and is less suited to most of the Vuelta climbs. Despite what some say I still don't think he would have made the time back on Nibali at the Tour had he not crashed. The way he is riding he is gaining a few seconds here and there whereas 5 years ago he would gain minutes with sustained attacks.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Pross wrote:
    Surely 'a bit here and there' will show up more in the passport than consistent doping at a lower level? I get nervous of riders who perform well throughout the season but other than that there's nothing to make me feel overly suspicious. As for Bertie, he's in decent form (especially after the injury) but it's still nothing like it was a few years ago. He's leading by a couple of minutes over Froome who is clearly not in the form of last year and is less suited to most of the Vuelta climbs. Despite what some say I still don't think he would have made the time back on Nibali at the Tour had he not crashed. The way he is riding he is gaining a few seconds here and there whereas 5 years ago he would gain minutes with sustained attacks.

How often do they get tested for the passport though ? Surely mid race they won't be taking blood out of riders so does that leave them free to dope if the glow time will go dark by the morning
  • RichN95.
    sherer wrote:
    Pross wrote:

How often do they get tested for the passport though ? Surely mid race they won't be taking blood out of riders so does that leave them free to dope if the glow time will go dark by the morning
    Yeah, they do blood tests mid race. Plenty of them. Well, mid-stage race at least - I don't think they test them at the feed zone.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Yeah, they do blood tests mid race. Plenty of them. Well, mid-stage race at least - I don't think they test them at the feed zone.

Think you've found the fatal flaw in the Bio-Passport. Should probably mention it to The Other Place.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    Matteo Rabottini of the Yellow Fluo mob and 2012 Giro KOM has joined Iglinsky on the naughty step. OOC EPO prior to Burgos (he came 4th).

I thought the MPCC rules meant their members teams couldn't dope? It's confusing.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    Matteo Rabottini of the Yellow Fluo mob and 2012 Giro KOM has joined Iglinsky on the naughty step. OOC EPO prior to Burgos (he came 4th).

I thought the MPCC rules meant their members teams couldn't dope? It's confusing.

I'm more confused as I thought we have people who do power models that can spot doping from a mile away.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm more confused as I thought we have people who do power models that can spot doping from a mile away.

No model required, anyone who beat either of these 2 riders at anytime in any race ever is a doper.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • We do but if used in small enough amounts but often enough to benefit whilst training then regular testing will not pick this up as it will have cleared the system (unless tested right at the point of taking as it's out of the system pretty quickly). The profiling does work but if your clever you can mask this as being an improvement during training blocks where you would expect performance to increase accordingly
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.