Dymag rims

2»

Comments

• brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Thanks Grill for the input. I love the internet for not being able to convey some thoughts and things. I was being slightly obtuse to Ugo's response.

Yes, I have thought about a disc and even looked at the Flo ones. The other option could be to get a jacket to mimic a disc.

Whilst, I would like to be serious about TTs, I have to recognise my own ability in the fact that ultimately I am $hit and will never trouble anyone at the top. Doesn't stop me trying and having fun though. With your experience, if you could have some thoughts regarding rims I could look at to build up it would be appreciated.

BTW where are you in Cardiff? I get to ride around the Rhymney/Rhondda about every 6-8 weeks ass the in-laws are in Ystrad
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    TT's aren't about beating everyone else, they're about beating yourself. I'll never win an open, but I get satisfaction by bettering my times on courses.

Flo Wheels are simply Chinese rims and hubs with effective marketing. Aside for their business model, there is nothing special or unique about them.

For the use you're describing, Ugo is spot on. Any Chinese rim will do. Plus if you're not that experienced and building wheels you don't have to stress about screwing it up. Best carbon rims IMO are still ENVE, but you've gotta pay to play.

I moved out of Cardiff at the beginning of the year, but still go back and ride from time to time.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Thanks but I would personally prefer clinchers... yes I know tubs are probably better

Is it one of those cases where you go through everything on the market, but nothing is perfect, hence you don't buy anything, but you feel better as you had a good look at what's around?
    I do it all the time... :wink:

This sums up my general experience with anything bike related.

I want ENVEs but I like my girlfriend and she would no longer like me if I bought ENVEs.....this is my dilemma.
  • Grill
    I traded my girlfriend for a set of ENVEs. No regrets. :D
  • SInce when a girlfriend has a say on how you spend your money? Am I old fashioned or that is a prerogative of wives only? :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Grill
    SInce when a girlfriend has a say on how you spend your money? Am I old fashioned or that is a prerogative of wives only? :shock:

Indeed. My Lightweight Autobahn shows I'm beholden to no woman. :P
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    SInce when a girlfriend has a say on how you spend your money? Am I old fashioned or that is a prerogative of wives only? :shock:

"your money" and there lies the culprit. I am married and have 2 young children, if I spent my salary on things for myself I could indeed have a pair of Lightweights and a Colnago Master and a C60 but I would not have my wife or my 2 children. As a married couple we share a bank account and then it all disappears in money for bills, food, nappies, toys for birthdays and christmas for the kids (like that Islabikes I am looking at), holidays together, new flooring, etc... We have got both our separate accounts where we put a little amount for ourselves of disposable income... and sometimes we sacrifice this if there is a car repair or something unexpected to be done.

Of course if you have got some amazing job that pays amazingly well you can probably afford the lightweights and the family, but it is also likely you won't see them very often due to the demands of said job.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • brettjmcc
    Grill wrote:
    I traded my girlfriend for a set of ENVEs. No regrets. :D

If I took that approach with the wife, it would probably be one of the most expensive set of Enve's to date... and I'd probably be homeless to boot :x

Anyhoos back on topic. Maybe in 9 years when the mortgage(s) are paid off then I will be able to pay for Enve's instead of bricks & mortar :) In the meantime, let's say max £300 ish per rim, what options do I have? I was probably going to pair them with a set of Novatec straight pull hubs
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    I am toying with the same idea - Gigantex rims seem like a good bet or Malcolm at cycle clinic has some new OEM rims that I am interested in. I think I would use Hope/Miche hubs tho as they are more "all weather" than Novatec. I would probably go tubular as well as I do not trust clinchers from these brands yet.
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    I was probably going to pair them with a set of Novatec straight pull hubs

Just for the sake of making your life a misery? Get a Phil Wood spoke cutting and threading machne... you might need one... :wink:
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc wrote:
    I was probably going to pair them with a set of Novatec straight pull hubs

Just for the sake of making your life a misery? Get a Phil Wood spoke cutting and threading machne... you might need one... :wink:

I assume by your comments this would be a bad idea? This is why discussion is good 8)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    I assume by your comments this would be a bad idea? This is why discussion is good 8)

Yes... straight pull have been introduced to make lacing on a factory scale quicker and in some cases doable by a robot. In practice they limit the patterns you can choose to one only, dictated by the hub. Availability of spokes is patchy and limited to a couple of spokes only, size availability is an issue too. Even calculating the exact length required is more problematic if you don't use DT Swiss hubs (in which case their calculator can provide the answer for their own hubs). There is virtually no advantage, as the spokes last pretty much the same and weigh the same. As an artisan, they represent everything you don't want and should stay well clear of
  • Chickens cycles bring in sapim race and Cx-ray spokes and cut them to length. DT Swiss have the comps from 256mm to 300mm in 2mm increments. O.K once nipples have seized truing would be an big issue but building is not. Straight pulls are more expensive.

Still given novatec do conventional hubs why bother with straight pulls unless you know how to measure them (not difficult to work out) then you could end buying the wrong spokes and that would be expensive.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.