Dymag rims

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
As my foray into building my own wheels continues... I thought I might replace the wheels on the TT bike to have a go at building up some carbon clinchers

I've seen DCR have started offering Dymag rims and they have had a good review on Road.CC. Does anyone know where they are produced, or whether I would be just as good getting some Farsports rims or similar, or any other options. Looking for a either 50/60 front with a 80+ on the rear. Thanks
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    One guy rode them on the TCR and exploded both of them. No aero credentials so to speak so you could do a lot better on the TT bike. I'm always dubious of new manufacturers as all companies have teething issues.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    If it's the same company, they've been making wheels for motorbikes for years.
  • frisbee wrote:
    If it's the same company, they've been making wheels for motorbikes for years.

It is the same company http://www.dymag.com
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Seem to recall that they don't make the cycle rims, but import them from China. I could be wrong on this.
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    I've seen DCR have started offering Dymag rims and they have had a good review on Road.CC.

Their built-up wheels, which presumably use the same rims, were slated by Cycling Weekly.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/ ... 8mm-carbon
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Their built-up wheels, which presumably use the same rims, were slated by Cycling Weekly.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/ ... 8mm-carbon

I hate to agree with magazine reviews, but I do! :shock:

Quote "After truing, this flex was still evident, and our wheel-builder explained that he daren’t tighten the spokes past the recommended tension for fear of cracking the carbon due to the rim being out of round. It’s quite simply not good enough"

If you are scared of damaging the rims by building them properly, then don't fucxing build them! What's the point of offering something which you are "scared of"?
    left the forum March 2023
  • brettjmcc
    Hmm, so with that info. What would people recommend rims wise please to build up. Enve is not an option (though I so wish it was :( )
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    Hmm, so with that info. What would people recommend rims wise please to build up. Enve is not an option (though I so wish it was :( )

Just want to make clear my comment was about the builder, not about the rim, which I have never seen.
  • brettjmcc
    Understood Ugo,
    but as with all things any thoughts on other options on deep section rims. I know you have had a look at the Farsports and Notorious ones on your blog. Thanks muchly

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    Understood Ugo,
    but as with all things any thoughts on other options on deep section rims. I know you have had a look at the Farsports and Notorious ones on your blog. Thanks muchly

Brett

The Notorious are overengineered, both interms of the build and in terms of hole count. They are built to be bashed around, playing bike polo and jumping off pavements... they can find a niche market for heavy riders who want the carbon look, but not the carbon fragility.

I have only built one set of those Farsports and they seem decent. I have seen they are starting to offer tubeless ones, which might be the way to go as if you remove the tube, you can lower the pressure and you avoid a few of the typical issues related to burst inner tubes... possibly
  • "After truing, this flex was still evident, and our wheel-builder explained that he daren’t tighten the spokes past the recommended tension for fear of cracking the carbon due to the rim being out of round. It’s quite simply not good enough"

If you are scared of damaging the rims by building them properly, then don't fucxing build them! What's the point of offering something which you are "scared of"?

Er, I don't think that he did build them, Dymag did. He was just the poor sap who got the job of trying to keep them rideable for the road test. :wink:
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Er, I don't think that he did build them, Dymag did. He was just the poor sap who got the job of trying to keep them rideable for the road test. :wink:

But according to the OP he sells the rims and he builds them... therefore... :roll:
  • brettjmcc
    Paolo,
    As the OP, I don't sell my wheels on, these are for me.

I think there are two differences. You can buy the wheels or rims from Dymag direct (http://www.dymag.com/cycle-wheels.html). I think it is those wheels that the Cycling Weekly review is talking about in their review of the 38mm.

DCR sell the rims as an option to build up as well. That's actually where I first heard/saw them as an option.

Its interesting, to me at least, that Road CC tested the 50/60 combo and gave it a pretty good review now having some time to mull it over: http://road.cc/content/review/115134-dy ... ls-50-60mm

The rims come in at £240 ea inc VAT, so I don't know whether this would be a good investment or not. As it is for my TT bike. I was thinking of a 50 front, 88 rear (if I can't find a tri-spoke at a reasonable price for the front)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Er, I don't think that he did build them, Dymag did. He was just the poor sap who got the job of trying to keep them rideable for the road test. :wink:

But according to the OP he sells the rims and he builds them... therefore... :roll:

But I was talking about their pre-built wheels, as tested in the link I provided. That is why I said:
    Their built-up wheels, which presumably use the same rims, were slated by Cycling Weekly.
    :wink:
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    The rims come in at £240 ea inc VAT, so I don't know whether this would be a good investment or not. As it is for my TT bike. I was thinking of a 50 front, 88 rear (if I can't find a tri-spoke at a reasonable price for the front)

Well the moral is that at that price you only buy far eastern manufacturing, so they are probably the same thing as those you buy for a bit less direct from China... I guess it comes down if you care about a warranty... I'd probably take a punt on some Chinese rims direct, if they're for time trialling. There isn't much that can go wrong in a solo race where you barely touch the brakes. The Farsport are more than good enough for the job.

In terms of finish they are miles ahead of the pathetic jobs that were on sale 3-4 years ago from Ebay and Alibaba... those did look like complete joke
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    The rims come in at £240 ea inc VAT, so I don't know whether this would be a good investment or not.

Probably not, given that the rims seem to be the same 'Chinese' ones that are used on wheels sold at a fraction of the price that Dymag sells them for.

You could buy French-made Corima rims for another £70 each and they will supply them with external nipples, or even in custom drillings for not much more.

http://store.corima.fr/jantes-carbone.html

• You could buy French-made Corima rims for another £70 each and they will supply them with external nipples, or even in custom drillings for not much more.

Where did you get those prices? Corima don't sell direct to the UK, you've got to go via the distribution channel or ask a friend in France to get them for you

• You could buy French-made Corima rims for another £70 each and they will supply them with external nipples, or even in custom drillings for not much more.

Where did you get those prices? Corima don't sell direct to the UK, you've got to go via the distribution channel or ask a friend in France to get them for you

The 'Corima store' link on the front of their website, as per my link. The price quoted for their 'Viva' and 'Aero' tubular rims is 388 Euros (£309 at current rates). Tubular 'Winniums' are 394 Euros. I do live in France, so perhaps the store links only show if the site detects that you are in France. What happens when you click on the link above?

The 'Corima store' link on the front of their website, as per my link. The price quoted for their 'Viva' and 'Aero' tubular rims is 388 Euros (£309 at current rates). Tubular 'Winniums' are 394 Euros. I do live in France, so perhaps the store links only show if the site detects that you are in France. What happens when you click on the link above?

Only works for France... good prices though
  • BenderR it does let me click on the rims but only to obtain a quote then wants me to supply my info before offering me a price.

Perhaps as your in France it just gives you the price?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • BenderR it does let me click on the rims but only to obtain a quote then wants me to supply my info before offering me a price.

Yes, the front page does show the prices in France. However, it could be that outside of France you need to put in your details first because that allows the correct local taxes, shipping rates and so forth to be calculated. I have bought a lot from Germany and Switzerland over the years and that often happens there, and even when a 'local' price is given the final price has often been adjusted for the VAT rate of the destination country. Not sure of why this happens for Germany, given that both Germany and the UK (at least for now...) are both in the EU, but I did read that this was officially the right thing to do.

I can't envisage any quotation for the UK being higher than here in France. In fact when I priced up some of their wheels they were cheaper in the UK than here in France direct from Corima!

By the way, as I recall all drillings come in at the same price. It was having rims made up for external nipples that cost a bit extra.
  • Yes, the front page does show the prices in France. However, it could be that outside of France you need to put in your details first because that allows the correct local taxes, shipping rates and so forth to be calculated.

As I told you already, that is not the case, as you have to go through the distribution for the UK

Yes, the front page does show the prices in France. However, it could be that outside of France you need to put in your details first because that allows the correct local taxes, shipping rates and so forth to be calculated. I have bought a lot from Germany and Switzerland over the years and that often happens there, and even when a 'local' price is given the final price has often been adjusted for the VAT rate of the destination country. Not sure of why this happens for Germany, given that both Germany and the UK (at least for now...) are both in the EU, but I did read that this was officially the right thing to do.

I can't envisage any quotation for the UK being higher than here in France. In fact when I priced up some of their wheels they were cheaper in the UK than here in France direct from Corima!

By the way, as I recall all drillings come in at the same price. It was having rims made up for external nipples that cost a bit extra.

Maybe your right if I do give them all my details might work it out for me, just can't be bothered as was only trying to see if it just me the price so we could check if you can/can't buy in the U.K. Guess we know it's easier if you reside in France.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • brettjmcc
    and luckily my Dad lives in France now, so even if they so no because I am in the UK I could just get him to order. So thank you BenderR for the information as it has now added another possibility for me to consider
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    and luckily my Dad lives in France now, so even if they so no because I am in the UK I could just get him to order. So thank you BenderR for the information as it has now added another possibility for me to consider

It's still a lot of money and for time trialling completely un-necessary... who cares if the Chinese rims are not safe and melt when you brake... you won't brake on them anyway
  • brettjmcc
    True, but I could equally chuck a load of money at a set of HEDs or even Zipps.

I'd personally prefer to spend money on safe, I have after all 2 young boys to consider.

So what would you recommend in what order then, based on the fact that I would like the pleasure to also build these up? The TTs we do are over the season of 10s, 25s, Sportings (11, 13, 23) with a couple of ones on the test at Ford too. There's only 1 out and back course the rest require braking at various points (level dependent on traffic and how brave/stupid you are)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • A high tech resin doesn't mean they do brake better than the Chinese cheepos, it just means they don't delaminate or explode if you squeeze your brake for 5 minutes down a descent. Completely unnecessary in your case.

Get these

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/RIPX82C/pl ... carbon-rim
  • brettjmcc
    Thanks but I would personally prefer clinchers... yes I know tubs are probably better
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    Thanks but I would personally prefer clinchers... yes I know tubs are probably better

Is it one of those cases where you go through everything on the market, but nothing is perfect, hence you don't buy anything, but you feel better as you had a good look at what's around?
    I do it all the time... :wink:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    brettjmcc wrote:
    True, but I could equally chuck a load of money at a set of HEDs or even Zipps.

I'd personally prefer to spend money on safe, I have after all 2 young boys to consider.

So what would you recommend in what order then, based on the fact that I would like the pleasure to also build these up? The TTs we do are over the season of 10s, 25s, Sportings (11, 13, 23) with a couple of ones on the test at Ford too. There's only 1 out and back course the rest require braking at various points (level dependent on traffic and how brave/stupid you are)

As someone who does a load of TT's of all distances, I can safely say that brake use is negligible. In fact, if you are on the brakes enough to explode a carbon rim (Chinese or otherwise), then you have no business on a bike, much less riding a TT. If the actual reason for your purchase was your '2 young boys' then you wouldn't ride TT's as there are a lot of accidents during events on DC's.

I have Lightweights, ENVE's, Reynolds, Planet X and generic Chinese carbon rims. I've never even been close to a rim failure. In fact, I can't think of a single instance in an open where a carbon rim has failed due to heat whilst braking.

If you're serious about TT's you'll get a disc for the rear and something that can be used in all conditions in the front like a 50mm PX, Zipp 404 FC, Reynolds 66, Rolf TdF6 or a trispoke. Oh and you'll get tubs, if only because they're safer and you don't want your boys growing up without a dad.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg