Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    1109mvq.jpg

Euskaltel-Euskadi
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    RichN95 wrote:
    Stage 6 starts in Bath. Northern people will say this wrong.
    Mebbe, but Southerners can't pronounce the name of that tin thing we keep our coal in

Brian Smith was pronouncing Battaglin as it's spelled

Perhaps he drives an Alfa Roh-me-oh as well

I wonder what either of them would do with 'Tao Geoghan Hart'...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    andy_wrx wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mebbe, but Southerners can't pronounce the name of that tin thing we keep our coal in
    That's because we have central heating.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    andy_wrx wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I wonder what either of them would do with 'Tao Geoghan Hart'...

What a S-CUT-AL?

As for Tao, can anyone pronounce it and shouldn't he be riding for Ireland with a name like that?
  • RichN95 wrote:
    AK_jnr wrote:
    'the black rider for MTN'

Cheers for that Brian.
    Easy mistake to make. It's not like he's General Manager of MTN. Oh, hang on, he is. FFS.

(If it was a second rate sprinter four years past his best he'd have indentified him from a mile away).

Is that because he's just signed said sprinter?
  • RideOnTime
    andy_wrx wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

What about..

wilier = Wee lee er OR Vill ee er
    ciocc = chee o ch
    battaglin = Bah tah gl ee n

Alfa that's one of the Beckham twins innit...
  • hopak
    hopak Posts: 193
    inseine wrote:
    I spent a nice few hours once with him and his wife (yes I know she's equally famous) and they are a lovely couple.

Not Gail Porter ??
    Light the afterburners.
    Respect Hugh!
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Theirselves
  • "...the elastic snaps...."
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    So how exactly is Matthias Brändle pronounced? I thought I knew but now I'm not so sure!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    thegibdog wrote:
    So how exactly is Matthias Brändle pronounced? I thought I knew but now I'm not so sure!
    Here he is saying it himself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM8TVFK8ejE
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    RichN95 wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    Cheers, I was almost right. Ned had done his research, maybe he could have shared it with the rest of the ITV team!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Pross wrote:
    As for Tao, can anyone pronounce it and shouldn't he be riding for Ireland with a name like that?

It's just GAY-gen Hart. Belgian announcers always make a right pigs ear of it I seem to remember.

Also Tay-oh. He's on a great Cycling Podcast:http://www.humansinvent.com/#!/13877/the-humans-invent-cycling-podcast-episode-14/. [Cracking blog]
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RideOnTime
    It's just the dropping it into conversation... Ma-TEE-ass BRAIR-ndle
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    florerider wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    We have to be thankful that Euskaltel-Euskadi are no longer participating.

wash your mouth out you heathen.

Years ago I got passed by them going uphill on a training ride outside Bilbao, and rental cars are usually pretty quick!

I should have reworded my post. That we have to be thankful that E-E are not at ToB only so we don't have to put up with Yooosskattell Yooosskaardee.

I miss them greatly, Sammy Sanchez in Orange and Orbea Orcas, which I think are georgeous bikes. I have seen one of the below Special Orcas in the flesh. I just stood there admiring it like a piece of artwork.

sanchez3.jpg
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • RideOnTime
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NW9V6Owo5U

Ta En Go-gun Heart... splat
  • thegibdog wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    Cheers, I was almost right. Ned had done his research, maybe he could have shared it with the rest of the ITV team!

Pretty sure Ned speaks fluent German- I think he mentions in one of his books that he lived in Hamburg for a few years.
  • There were good video clips from Liquigas of some of the mispronounced riders on their roster at that time self-pronouncing, such as Vicenzo Nibali (Nee-bah-lee, N'bali or Nibble-lee) and Peter Sagan (Petter/Peeter Sag-Ann, Petter/Peeter S'gan, Saag-an) but at least one commentator dismissed the above as being incorrect - like they'd know better than the man himself eh?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I bet Yo-Dell are really pleased with Hugh for all the mentions in the TOB.
  • For personal reasons I hate Yodel and their involvement with the TOB has annoyed me every year since 2011
  • RideOnTime
    So Yodel deliver stuff, I had no idea what they did.

I wonder what the relative ins are from Chain Reaction, Friends Life and Skoda.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    RideOnTime wrote:

I think that's open to debate!

Also, having nearly been wiped out by their vans on several occasions I find it ironic that they sponsor a cycling event. It was actually quite amusing on the Tumble where one of their vans was parked up in a layby at the 2km to go mark for ages and then decided to turn around to point in the right direction just as a group of spectators were riding up, forcing them to stop. I think it may have been a deliberate display of their normal driving prowess.
  • Pross wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

I think that's open to debate!
    Last year they were supposed to deliver some stuff to one of the road crews out working in advance of the ToB. You can probably guess how well that turned out.
  • Biffcp
    Biffcp Posts: 813
    At least HP didn't pronounce Rapha Condor JLT as Rapha Condor JTL.
    Brian Smith would have really loved that.

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>
  • Still catching up with highlights as been on holiday...

"Albert Teeeeeemmer" is annoying me Brian.

Its Timmer... Tim Tim, not Teeeeemm.