Brian Smith and Hugh Porter

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited September 2014 in Pro race
Brian Smith and Hugh Porter are commentating on ITV4 Tour of Britain.

I have not been able to watch the Vuelta - but wasn't that Porter I heard tonight on the hi-lights?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    RideOnTime wrote:
    I have not been able to watch the Vuelta - but wasn't that Porter I heard tonight on the hi-lights?
    It was yesterday. Liggett is doing the Vuelta with (I think) Graham Jones. Matt Stephens & Magnus Backstedt are doing ToB for Eurosport. Liggett (age 71) and Porter (age 74) really should be making way for younger guys.

And as an aside I, like many, had to rely on a dubiously legal stream for the Vuelta yesterday and I thought the two Americans were really rather good.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RideOnTime
    Yes I agree while you wouldn't want to deny a 74-year old a job there are better, younger people.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    It was yesterday. Liggett is doing the Vuelta with (I think) Graham Jones. Matt Stephens & Magnus Backstedt are doing ToB for Eurosport. Liggett (age 71) and Porter (age 74) really should be making way for younger guys.

And as an aside I, like many, had to rely on a dubiously legal stream for the Vuelta yesterday and I thought the two Americans were really rather good.

Who were the Americans? I've watched a few of the US races this year on the Tour Tracker and I have to say that the commentators each time have been really good. Would definitely listen to them on Eurosport.
  • RichN95.
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    Who were the Americans? I've watched a few of the US races this year on the Tour Tracker and I have to say that the commentators each time have been really good. Would definitely listen to them on Eurosport.
    Steve Schlanger and Todd Gogulski.

I didn't fully see it as the feed provider had sat on the mute button, but the seemed to some pre-prepared segments analysing the main contenders too. The bit I couldn't here was on Valverde. But it looked interesting.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    Steve Schlanger and Todd Gogulski.
    Good insights, not scared to STFU and let pictures talk. Unfortunately there's also this:
    Schlanger and Gogulski go there after Nairo Quintana's win in the Pais Vasco. Because... well, they were "surprised." And somehow, that makes it OK to slander a brilliant young athlete
    But everybody gets carried away at times.

e: Inrng's typically nuanced response: http://inrng.com/2013/04/the-dark-side-of-the-moon/
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    "Now then"
    "Light the afterburners"
    "On fire"
    etc, etc
  • someone needs to tell Hugh Porter that Marcel's surname rhymes with Little and doesn't have the emphasis on the "Tell" bit.

On the ITV4 highlights last night there was Ned Boulting pronouncing it correctly, five seconds later Hugh chips in with the other pronunciation.
  • RideOnTime
    IanREmery wrote:
    someone needs to tell Hugh Porter that Marcel's surname rhymes with Little and doesn't have the emphasis on the "Tell" bit.

On the ITV4 highlights last night there was Ned Boulting pronouncing it correctly, five seconds later Hugh chips in with the other pronunciation.

At least he got his name right. What name chaos at the end of the stage in Llandudno. No one knew the f*** was there :D:D
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Yes I agree while you wouldn't want to deny a 74-year old a job there are better, younger people.
    Not with the same encyclopaedic knowledge of track riders from the West Midlands there aren't.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I was surprised to be informed by Liggett the other day that Neil Martin was in the front group fighting against Froome and the a Three Amigos. I've ridden with Neil many times and he's a very good rider but he's in his mid 50s now!
  • andy_wrx
    Brian Smith was talking about 'Tyler Furrer' yesterday.

Having just signed him, you'd think he could get his name right.

And as for Hugh Porter's 'Rapha Condur JLT'...
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    Brian Smith was talking about 'Tyler Furrer' yesterday.

That's not far off:
    http://youtu.be/800M1P855K4?t=2s
  • andy_wrx
    Yeah, but that's "Tyler Ferrah"

Yesterday, Smithy was talking about "Furrur" and Hugh was talking about "Fah-rah" :lol:
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Pross wrote:
    I was surprised to be informed by Liggett the other day that Neil Martin was in the front group fighting against Froome and the a Three Amigos. I've ridden with Neil many times and he's a very good rider but he's in his mid 50s now!

hah that was funny, he was more senle than usual, maybe he'd missed his afternoon nap?

Didn't Ligget say he'd quite if Armstrong was shown to have taken EPO?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm not that bothered about pronunciation - we get who he's talking about.

Its just unfortunate that whoever he's talking about probably isn't on the screen at the moment.
  • Tom Dean
    andy_wrx wrote:
    And as for Hugh Porter's 'Rapha Condur JLT'...
    Yes! 'Rapha Conda' :x makes me want to smash the tv :lol:
  • RichN95.
    I don't know why you are getting worried about these minor mispronounciations. He made a major one yesterday. He kept pronouncing David Lopez as 'Bradley Wiggins'.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Alex DowSETT
  • RichN95.
    Stage 6 starts in Bath. Northern people will say this wrong.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Porter: Sylvane Chavanel

and is it just me that finds it odd that he ALWAYS has to say that a rider has attacked OFF THE FRONT?

I spent a nice few hours once with him and his wife (yes I know she's equally famous) and they are a lovely couple.
  • Tom Dean
    'tapping out a rhythm'
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    'the black rider for MTN'

Cheers for that Brian.
  • RichN95.
    AK_jnr wrote:

Cheers for that Brian.
    Easy mistake to make. It's not like he's General Manager of MTN. Oh, hang on, he is. FFS.

(If it was a second rate sprinter four years past his best he'd have indentified him from a mile away).
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Lol. He was at the back of the peleton and the only MTN rider in shot as well. People will moan and say its PC gone mad but it was totally unnecessary especially as due to the dark tans of most riders, most people wouldnt of even realised he was black!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    RichN95 wrote:
    AK_jnr wrote:

Cheers for that Brian.
    Easy mistake to make. It's not like he's General Manager of MTN. Oh, hang on, he is. FFS.

(If it was a second rate sprinter four years past his best he'd have indentified him from a mile away).

That's a shocker! Very disappointing...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    AK_jnr wrote:

Cheers for that Brian.

Maybe he's trying to keep up with Liggetts description of Cheng in the Tour...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    I'm staggered at how often they get completely the wrong rider, or worse, talk about how maybe a particular rider may/ will attack or similar, when said rider did that on our screens 15 seconds earlier and we can all see it.
  • RideOnTime
    iainf72 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    AK_jnr wrote:

Cheers for that Brian.

Maybe he's trying to keep up with Liggetts description of Cheng in the Tour...

All very harsh. Its not like they've got a list of names of all the riders... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPos43u87VM This one?
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    We have to be thankful that Euskaltel-Euskadi are no longer participating. I seem to recall poor old Hugh trying to get his tongue round that a couple of years ago, without success.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Mr Goo wrote:
    We have to be thankful that Euskaltel-Euskadi are no longer participating.

wash your mouth out you heathen.

Years ago I got passed by them going uphill on a training ride outside Bilbao, and rental cars are usually pretty quick!