How do you deal with people overtaking too close

124»

Comments

• fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    What has annoyed myself and the mate i ride with the last few times is cars/vans blasting the horn as they pass.

last sunday my mate and i done 80 odd miles, we had one van go past and blast on the horn. nothing coming the other way so it was clearly at us - but they did give plenty of room.
    the second was not all that much later, doing 20mph in a 30, a passat overtakes us and blasts the horn we reply with wanker shake and the oncoming car blasts its horn at the driver as they did not have enough time to overtake us safely

and the third one was going up the hill into marlborough, a wide main road, cars could pass easily as the road was wide enough... then some scrote hanging out the passenger window of a green vw lupo screams "get off the road you pair of c*nts" and we wernt exactly holding anyone up...

all three occasions we were single file, not riding parallel etc!

no need for it really...
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Manc33 wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:
    On my way home last night someone passed me on a fairly straight stretch of road with nothing coming the other way and it felt as though their wing mirrors almost brushed my elbows. Looked up to throw my best "what a prat (or words to that effect)" face and noticed holographic letters across the back of the car POLICE.... What hope is there of the average driver giving cyclists enough space if the people who are supposed to be on the roads to protects us don't do it??

There's always a few bad apples. "Here's that guy on his bike again, let's scare him this time" he said to his colleague. Maybe he was late getting to the freemasons lodge, or maybe it was a genuine emergency - someone on the inside at McDonalds rang him when the donuts were starting to run low. For those that aren't sure if I am trolling/joking, I am.

though yes you are joking and its not a reflection on all of them I know,and Ive had the lets scare the cyclist by letting rip with the siren right next to them thing, but it still annoys me when they treat you no better than the other idiots on the road, overatakes on blind curves,lefthooks,pedestrian refuge overtakes, I always notice other drivers mostly seem to think twice about doing daft things when they see a police car around, Id hate for them to get ideas that those things were ok
  • Bullet1
    Bullet1 Posts: 161
    I had the following last weekend. Thought the first car was bad but the second!!

http://youtu.be/a_inJDTqvVo

In hindsight could argue I should have ridden another foot into the road but nevertheless!

Has anyone had any joy reporting thing like this? Assume its a case of dialing 101?

Expensive - but really recommend the Garmin Virb
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Boudiccastatue.jpg

Nobody would close-pass that

Although they might slow down for a gawp at the passenger
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,531
    I make them crash into a car coming the other way.

IMAG1154.JPG

That'll learn 'em.
  • Haha, I like that response.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bullet1 wrote:
    I had the following last weekend. Thought the first car was bad but the second!!

http://youtu.be/a_inJDTqvVo

In hindsight could argue I should have ridden another foot into the road but nevertheless!

Has anyone had any joy reporting thing like this? Assume its a case of dialing 101?

Expensive - but really recommend the Garmin Virb

jeez - I'd try reporting that second car. And yes - ride further out - to take away any chance of them trying a really unsafe overtake.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,531
    Rodders30 wrote:
    Haha, I like that response.
    ... though please don't sue me if you try this yourself, and end up legless, or dead.
  • tjbr
    tjbr Posts: 3
    Don't mind the cars so much, knowing the road layout and using you're road position to influence overtaking works reasonably well, it's the vans which are the worst. They often think they are in a smaller narrower vehicle, usually in a hurry somewhere....

If I'm on the roads they frequent (try and avoid where possible) I tend to put a small mirror on the traffic side drop bar just to give me a possible heads up one is approaching so I don't get caught by suprise, have firm bar grip, keep a decent line with a bit if room on the left, maybe sit up a bit if I was on the drops to raise profile.

Can't stop the idiots but you can help your chances a bit.
  • nicube
    nicube Posts: 175
    I tend to shout and gesticulate in their direction, doesn't really help,but makes me feel better :D

Like others have said riding further out in the road sometimes helps but then there are always those that it annoys and they make a point of cutting in sharp in front once they past, so many drivers are clueless idiots though!
    LOOK 795 Aerolight Dura ace Di2
    LOOK 675 Dura ace mechanical
    LOOK 595 105
    Cinelli Zydeco
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Nicube wrote:
    I tend to shout and gesticulate in their direction, doesn't really help,but makes me feel better :D

Like others have said riding further out in the road sometimes helps but then there are always those that it annoys and they make a point of cutting in sharp in front once they past, so many drivers are clueless idiots though!

A friend of a friend was in his car with his young kids in back. Some other car made some slight error, so he shouted and gesticulated....

... At the next traffic lights. Four young men got out, threw a fire -extinguisher through his windscreen, smashed the rest of his car up and would have smashed him up if given the chance. He said it was the most scariest experience of his life. Police could not do anything due to lack of evidence.

Sometimes it's best not to shout or gesticulate, you never know who is in the other car.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    edited January 2015
    VmanF3 wrote:
    I don't get wound up by other road users, I'm sure there are things I have done on various forms of transport that has upset someone somewhere down the line.

I do have a different outlook though based on my sailing days - on the water you never have a 'right of way'; you are what's known as the stand on vessel, the opposite being give way vessel. Generally speaking, the stand on vessel should continue until it becomes apparent that the give way isn't going to (give way). It's both parties duty to avoid a collision. On the roads I hear too many stating they have right of way, when in fact a little common sense could alleviate a situation.

No point being right and injured or worse!

You reminded me of a sailing trip I had in The Solent many years ago. No matter how much you think you have right of way, a 170,000 ton container ship just doesn't give way to your 10 metre long fibreglass yacht. Its best for you to avoid him. I was in awe how big the container ships were even from a mile away, the biggest man made object I've ever seen.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I've got a book of cartoons somewhere from a French artist (years ago, not Charlie Hebdo)

One is a colossal heap of about a hundred cars all piled-up on top of each other, broken panels and glass, steam escaping from radiators, etc

And at the bottom is a little man in a 2CV with his arm out of the window, shouting "I had right of way !"
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I was driving the other night and a cyclist was riding in the middle of the lane in front of me for what appeared to be no reason, I hate that! I mean no reason at all, the road was really wide and he had just set off from lights. It might be his "right" etc but... MOVE OVER. Let the cars go past ya spanner! Rights this, rights that. The reality is a car goes a lot faster than a bicycle when you've just set off from lights.

Are cyclists riding that way to avoid punctures?

I just have Marathon Plus 700x25 tyres on and ride in the gutter, a lot safer!

I am a cyclist myself but understand what drivers mean at times when some guy is doing 5 MPH with 3 feet of tarmac to his left and not a car parked in that lane anywhere in sight.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I'm amazed the last post from Manc33 hasn't created a storm of protest yet. Is everyone asleep?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    fatsmoker wrote:
    I'm amazed the last post from Manc33 hasn't created a storm of protest yet. Is everyone asleep?
    No point, he doesn't see sense the way most people do. To say many of his posts are irrational would be an understatement of gargantuan proportions.
  • gibbers82 wrote:
    A bloke at work responded saying "you don't pay road tax" however when i said neither do horses and you don't treat them like cyclists do you it totally shut him up !

If you check the DVLA website they do not refer to road tax. The term "road tax" is a misnomer. The correct term is vehicle tax.
    Although a keen cyclist I pay this too, but only on those vehicles that require it.
    There are cars out there now that have zero vehicle tax rates, on account of their reduced emissions.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    fatsmoker wrote:
    No point, he doesn't see sense the way most people do. To say many of his posts are irrational would be an understatement of gargantuan proportions.

Quite. I mean, 25c Marathon Plus? What's the point. At that width get Durano Plus. Go fast, get some grip, have more or less as good protection.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I had a good one today. Bloke overtakes too close on a fairly wide a road. I gave a wave as to say that was too close. Nothing too aggressive. Thought no more about it but 2 miles down the road this bloke is waiting for me in a lay-by. I ignored him as did't fancy getting my head kicked in. Bit further down the road he comes alongside me and says that he knew he overtook too closely but it was my fault! Apparently I was pushing him into the on coming traffic! Fat chav covered in Chinese tattoos by the way. I did point out he should have waited before overtaking but he wasn't having it. As he wasn't winning the argument he then comes out with the classic you don't pay road tax argument. I pointed out that I did pay road tax as I also had a car. I then asked him how much income tax he paid which seemed to shut him up! I think he was a government artist (i.e. drew the dole). I'm pedalling in the cycle lane whilst this is happening. He then gave a few insults, I told him I loved him and he sped off.

Bit of a strange confrontation. I remained calm and didn't give him a load of abuse (however tempting) as he was a big lad. Moral of the story is some drivers have such a sense of entitlement they think they need to justify their bad driving.

Also couldn't wait 5 seconds to overtake safely but was happy to wait 5 minutes in a lay by for me to catch him up.

Thanks for reading!

P.S First post for me but will contribute more positively in future.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Extremely close pass this morning from a driving instructor who was then stuck in a traffic jam (heavy traffic really brings out the worst in people). I'd assumed it was a learner when I saw the L plates but it wasn't. When I asked him why he'd passed that close he said I should be riding on the pavement.