2014 Raleigh Talus 2.9R ...any good ?

rmissin
rmissin Posts: 57
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Simple question guys, I've been finding it hard to settle on a choice for a MB, it all gets confusing pretty quickly for a noob.......Is the 2014 Raleigh Talus 2.9R a good deal?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G ... JY4NN0R2DQ

I'm 6'1" with inside leg 34" so I picked the 29" wheels and 20" frame size, I cannot stand the thought of being an a bike that doesn't fit.
Buying from Amazon so taking a gamble with how the overall bike will fit and ride.
Never mountain biked before, just looking for a cardio replacement to running, so I'm going to ride the arse of this thing every day...is it up to it?

Advice on the quality and value or the components would be much appreciated.... I know it's a "Raleigh", which makes me hesitate....doesn't quite have that trendy cool logo and appeal, although the design looks pretty neat.

tia

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, pretty nasty.
    Rubbish fork and bargain bin bits (7 speed freewheel etc)
    Plenty of similar threads in this section.
    This for example is much, much better.
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two ... 7d545b3357
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks, yes, after a few hours researching the components it's pretty naff.

I started looking at a Decathlon Rockrider 8.1, seems a good "standard" to work from and compare.

Would love a 29'er with similar specs...any suggestions, I only have around £500 to blow ?

tia
  • Why would you love a 29er?

It'll almost certainly be of a lesser spec than a 26" wheeled bike.
  • You could get the voodoo Bizango down to close to £500 with Topcashback and British Cycling discounts etc.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Be aware that being tall doesn't mean bigger wheels are better (I'm a similar height and didn't enjoy riding a 29er), I'd suggest testing a few bikes and making sure you get on with the bike you eventually choose.
  • Thx for the advice, yeah I'm going to visit MB shops and physically get my hands on one before buying.

29'er because I don't want to look like I'm riding a BMX like some of the riders I see, I'm new to riding so I will easily adapt.

DiamondBack Ascent 29er 2014 looks a decent spec.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2014_Bike

voodoo Bizango ...thanks but I don't like the colours or shape/style.

This is going to take longer than i thought :wink:
  • Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    Try looking on pinkbike you can get some very decent 2nd hand bikes on there.
  • rmissin wrote:
    Thx for the advice, yeah I'm going to visit MB shops and physically get my hands on one before buying.

29'er because I don't want to look like I'm riding a BMX like some of the riders I see, I'm new to riding so I will easily adapt.

DiamondBack Ascent 29er 2014 looks a decent spec.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2014_Bike

voodoo Bizango ...thanks but I don't like the colours or shape/style.

This is going to take longer than i thought :wink:

At 6' 1" you won't look like you're riding a BMX on 26" wheels so long as you get the right frame size.

You going to be off road or more cycle paths and road use?

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Im 6'1" and prefer 26" bikes. Take a look at my Nukeproof Mega in the pic below. Extra large frame and 26" wheels. I wouldn't say the wheels look disproportionately small and it rides brilliantly.

10563016_10203470201509006_1974674698648747808_n.jpg?oh=dcf186ac1b5de20de4bdfb27adac09b2&oe=54471CAE&__gda__=1413256913_e7bf21ffd474bf3f0ccd44876f3def82
  • What's your budget?
    The RR 8.1 is a cracking bike, so is the Calibre from gooutdoors.

Have you looked at the new Carrera range at Halfords? These all now come with 27.5" wheels.
  • At your price range you are better going for something suggested earlier, rather than worrying about the paint job - there aren't many good quality bikes out there.

The worst thing you can do is go for something that looks nice. Pick something that rides well. I ended up spending £400 on my first bike and it fell to bits after 6 months, was stupidly heavy and wasn't fun to ride. It nearly put me off mountain-biking all together.
    It was only after borrowing a friends 'decent' bike that I realised what a mistake I had made.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Thanks for the feedback guys, budget is around £500 - £600, will probably be 50/50 - 0n/0ff road.

I keep coming back to the Voodoo Bizango purely on specs, think I can get used to the colours or just give it a custom paint job, and there's a Halfords near me where I can try one out....just wish it had the same colour scheme as the Diamondback ;)
  • Bizango is a cracking bike, don't think you'd be disappointed - go and try one if you can.

Sign up for a British Cycling membership and you can get 10% off too, and also check if there are any on line discount codes.
  • Cheers DirkPitt74,

So far £20 BC membership will save me £60 on the Voodoo, I don't have the readies available just yet to buy the bike, so can hang on and search for discount codes, any advice on where the best places are to look for codes ?

tia
  • Not sure of the best place tbh.
    I found the code I used on a thread on here.
    Perhaps we should have a 'sticky thread' with discount codes somewhere.
  • What about the Mongoose Tyax Comp 29er Mountain Bike ???

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

Seems pretty decent specs for the price, slight drop in price and quality but looks a good buy ?

Approximate Weight (KG): 14.3
    Forks: SR Suntour XCM
    Front Brake: Tektro HTC-330 hydraulic disc
    Number of Gears: 24
    Rear Brake: Tektro HTC-330 hydraulic disc
    Wheel Size: 29"
    Chainset: KMC Z72, 8-speed
    Front Mech: Shimano FD-311
    Gear Shifters: Shimano SL-M360
    Handle Bars: Alloy MTB, 31.8, 30 mm rise
    Headset: VP-Z104PE
    Hubs: Alloy QR disc 32-hole
    Pedals: Mongoose nylon platform
    Rear Mech: Shimano Alivio M430
    Rims: Alex DC26 double wall 32-hole
    Saddle: Mongoose MTB trail
    Seatpost: Mongoose alloy, 31.6 × 350
    Stem: Alloy MTB, 31.8
    Suspension: Front

The only "questionable" part is the forks.....seems to get mixed reviews around here.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rubbish fork, and appears to be unavailable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The XCM with hydraulic lockout (HLO) is the minimum acceptable fork - it has some damping (though not the best), any XCM listed as having 'lockout' or MLO (Mechanical lockout) has no damper and is not acceptable, that is what the XCM gets mixed reviews.

In this case it is hydraulic.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers Rookie, that's just the info I needed, perfect and concise.... for me it will do.

Yesterday when I reserved the bike it was priced at £230.59 for the specs I reckoned I had nothing to loose and I could change my mind at any time after researching it a little...no risk. :wink:

Today it's jumped back up to £439.99 and is unavailable for purchase.

I checked with Halfords customer support and they confirm I pay the £230.59 reservation price, I don't know what happened but seems like I found it just at the right time...maybe some clerical error :lol:

Arrives in the store tomorrow for pick-up, I'll believe it when I have my hands on it, but I've checked and double checked and it seems you pay the reservation price, increasing the price after a reservation is a no no from what I can find out...fingers crossed.
  • The Rookie
    It's never worth £400+, but at £230 its a good buy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yup, all that remains to be seen is how this order is processed, I checked the T&C on the website...seems it's set up 100% in favour of Halfords.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId=173017

Namely subsections 2.5 and 3.5, interpret as we can do what the **** we want.

My only chance (if there's an issue at the store) in to point out this is/was a Web Exclusive offer, ergo, in store prices can't apply as it isn't possible for me to purchase in store.

Dunno ...I'm no legal beagle, but i may have a point.

See what happens tomorrow.
  • The Rookie
    I doubt you'll have an issue, I often use the reserve on line feature to pick it up as normal but at online prices.
  • Yeah, maybe I'm reading too much into this...it could be that I simply ordered the last one at the 56% discount, now they are out of stock, tons of spare cash for new forks and accessories if that's the case. 8)
  • Thx cyd190468, yeah there's a lot to take in as a noob to MTB, it can get very confusing very quickly with all the choices and alternatives, I just want to get on a reasonable bike, still heard nothing from Halfords today, mind you, it's a bit early.

It's still unavailable for purchase online but the price is displaying:

£439.99
    WAS £529.99 *
    SAVE £90.00 (16%)

Looks like they did make a mistake with the price, doubtful if I'll get it.
  • Still haven't got the bike or any information, I'm being messed around by Halfords "Support" Agents, they seem to make things up as they go along, I've been given 3 delivery dates and now just given a fourth....next Monday.
  • Got the bike ..... no issues at all, paid £230 for it...it's HUGE.... :D got it boxed so scratching my head a little at the moment..... :?: ..manuals pretty crap..onwards and upwards. 8)
  • The Rookie
    Use the workshop and tech forum to ask questions, one at a time, no single step is hard!

Congrats on the new bike, 29ers always look bigger due to the wheel size even if they are the 'same size'.
  • thx...No...it's HUGE...taxi driver thought it was a motorbike :lol: , asides from the front brake rub it's all together and seems a-ok.
  • The Rookie
    A little brake rub is normal, just make sure the calliper is aligned correctly.
  • Wow thanks, huge improvement, yup they weren't aligned properly, I could barely get one wheel revolution before after spinning the wheel hard, now it's spinning freely but rubbing on a tiny part of the revolution, I think there is a small barely perceivable warp in the front wheel , it now only briefly rubs on a revolution...a slight touch.
    I haven't ridden the thing yet so I reckon they just need breaking in, will hammer it tomorrow and see how it goes.

I'm only half a mile from Halfords and the guy said to call in if i had any issues so i can pay him a visit if it doesn't go away.

cheers