CX wheel recommendations for disc brakes

2»

Comments

• I've decided to try to resurrect an old set of disc wheels from my hybrid that have been sat rotting in the garden for years! They haven't had much use and just from eyeballing them are considerably narrower rim than the ones that came with my cx bike.

I've ordered some avid rotors (same as the ones on the wheels my cx bike came with) and some new rotor bolts as the old ones are rusty. I'm hoping to put some road tyres on (some 23mm i have lying around to start with) and if it works I'll invest in something a bit more appropriate (i.e. roll well on roads but can handle the odd towpath). Ideally I want to be able to swap the wheels on a morning, prior to my commute, depending on the weather rather than having to mess about swapping tyres.

I do have a pair of Continental somethingorothers that are 32mm I believe but they are an absolute nightmare to get on and off the rim, have trashed a few inner tubes. Shame as when they are on they are decent tyres.
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • Ok so replaced the rotors with Avid G2CS's (as per the stock wheels) but for some inexplicable reason I overlooked the fact the cassette on the old wheels is 8spd rather than the 10 required!

Ordered a 10spd Tiagra cassette off CRC for £11.69 then should hopefully be good to go.
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross